Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSoviet Data
Stranger

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: taku]
    #27587879 - 12/20/21 01:08 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

taku said:
I did qt. Jars with a 1/4" hole and poly stuffing as a filter. Worked great and grew decent enough. Didn't have any issues cleaning them, just used a stick with a scrubber end, the type you use for a glass or a water bottle. Anyway, only did one batch to gain some experience with bottle method. Want to try again in the future though, liked it.

Cool. Hopefully that size hole is big enough for the 2 qt jars I have growing. How'd you go about inoculating yours?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: Soviet Data]
    #27587890 - 12/20/21 02:31 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

That's why I asked cause the main thing I'd be worried about is gas exchange. 1/4" hole isn't much for that size of jar especially the closer the mycelium gets to the bottom. Hopefully you don't have that issue though.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

InvisibleSoviet Data
Stranger

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: Forrester]
    #27587893 - 12/20/21 02:48 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

You think it'd be worth sterilizing a tool and stabbing a quick hole in the top and throwing on another filter, since the top is already colonized with a nice mat of mycelium? Or would the risk of contamination outweigh the benefits of better gas exchange?

Also for future reference, how many/what size holes would you say is enough for a 2 qt jar? I've seen people use tyvek where the whole top can breathe, but it doesn't seem worth how much it would dry out the substrate, especially in the winter.

Offlinetaku
° shapeshifter ∆
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #27587998 - 12/20/21 07:09 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I inoculated in an SAB. Just opened the jars, dumped in my spawn, closed. No contam, all went well. 

I have a flow hood now so would make that process much easier if I replicate my test.

If 1/4" worked for 1 qt., Maybe 1/2" for 2qt?

For now, just see how the 1/4" plays out. Better to know definitive things that may have gone wrong than have a wild variable - like popping the lid mid colonization - throw everything.

--------------------

InvisibleSoviet Data
Stranger

#27588177 - 12/20/21 11:07 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

That's what I figured. Well I'll post updates as it progresses. guess I'll know soon enough if it stalls out. :ooo:

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #27588470 - 12/20/21 03:34 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

taku said:
For now, just see how the 1/4" plays out. Better to know definitive things that may have gone wrong than have a wild variable - like popping the lid mid colonization - throw everything.

^^^that

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

InvisibleReverendMyc

#27589594 - 12/21/21 03:04 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Just tossing in a picture from an older grow so I can find this thread again. I am on a second flush after letting a jar sit in the fridge for several months over the summer and have some more on agar now.

--------------------
LAGM 2.024
Stoned Gummys tek (Gummies from sclerotia or mushrooms) *Not just for stones any more
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

InvisibleSoviet Data
Stranger

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: ReverendMyc]
    #27602540 - 01/01/22 02:40 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Ok the mycelium in this jar is going apeshit but I have a concern. Is this sort of moisture condensation looking stuff bacteria or is it normal? It doesn't look like bacteria to me, especially in the context it appeared. Every jar I have has started to have little spacklings of moisture when the mycelium started it get thick and bright white looking. Is this normal? Clear metabolites? Hard to believe it's bacteria up against such healthy mycelial growth. Thanks, and happy new year :smile:

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #27602921 - 01/01/22 08:24 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Looks normal to me.

InvisibleSoviet Data
Stranger

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #27603062 - 01/01/22 10:42 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks! Getting close to fruiting time. :cool:

OfflineDMTfire
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27616025 - 01/12/22 10:28 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I wanted to say hi to everyone here. I've been reading and learning a lot. I started kind of backwards. I got a lions mane block in November 2021. First flush I was trying to go cheap and lazy so it was too dry. I added a fogger and the second flush was much prettier and tastier and now I've been working on the clones I took to agar.

InvisibleSoviet Data
Stranger

#27616135 - 01/12/22 12:08 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:
That's why I asked cause the main thing I'd be worried about is gas exchange. 1/4" hole isn't much for that size of jar especially the closer the mycelium gets to the bottom. Hopefully you don't have that issue though.

Well luckily they ended up colonizing just fine! They're in the FC now I'll post pics of the final product.

Hi, DMTFire! Those fruits looks great. I've grown fucked up warty lions mane from kits without enough humidity before too haha. At least they look dope :cool:

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #27616630 - 01/12/22 07:57 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Don't mist lion's mane that will cause it to turn brown.

InvisibleSoviet Data
Stranger

Re: The Hericium Thread [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #27616661 - 01/12/22 08:36 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

You're talking about spraying mist directly on it, right? Not ambient mist falling from a humidifier?

I have one primordia in my FC turning a little brown and I moved it away from the flap in the tent that I open (it's very not air tight so I was worried its drying out by the opening). They are growing out of jars laying on their sides.

Offlinefather_fungi
Mold Farmer
 User Gallery

How many flushes from a 6lb block [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #27617790 - 01/13/22 07:24 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

How many does everyone usually get? I've just started having success with lions mane and have gotten 2-3 from the few blocks I have.  I was getting ready to toss a depleted one and thought I'd re-hydrate by soaking and then toss it back in the fruiting chamber.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Heard about doing it with oysters, but the time I tried I didn't had any success getting the substrate to absorb any water.  This time the block seemed to soak up plenty and regain most of the original weight.  I'm hoping for good things :grin:

--------------------
Agar and Liquid Culture Formulas

Equipment, Teks, Etc
FF Lid Tek

OfflineJXAllen
Cannalyst

Re: How many flushes from a 6lb block [Re: father_fungi]
    #27617832 - 01/13/22 08:01 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I'm on my 3rd flush on these blocks. They're all at various stages of recovery/growth. I've been harvesting around 1/2lb per flush.

--------------------
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that do not.
Cultures I'm workin on

Offlinetaku
° shapeshifter ∆
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: How many flushes from a 6lb block [Re: JXAllen]
    #27617929 - 01/13/22 10:08 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I do 2 rounds. After 2 the yield is too small to make it worth the space or potential for contam, at least for me.

--------------------

OfflineJXAllen
Cannalyst

Re: How many flushes from a 6lb block [Re: taku]
    #27618209 - 01/14/22 08:03 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I'm getting very nice dense clusters now that I've increased my FAE. However, the tops of my mushrooms start to turn yellow before the teeth begin to elongate. I'm not sure if this is from it being too humid, too dry or something else. I've got them in a martha tent with a humidifier on a controller, currently set to 88rh. Temp is 65F.

--------------------
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that do not.
Cultures I'm workin on

InvisibleSoviet Data
Stranger

Re: How many flushes from a 6lb block [Re: JXAllen]
    #27619765 - 01/15/22 12:08 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

So I got some jars stalling out. After initial primordia formation I dropped the RH from 95 to 89 (kicks on at 79). What usually causes stalling? There's no browning happening or anything. I cranked the humidifier back up since they were growing fine before. I have one tiny little primordia spining out similar to a coralloides, which I think is just due to a CO2 pocket in the jar mouth. I'm guessing it's a humidity issue rather than light, since primordia formed.

InvisibleSoutherner
Stranger

Loc: South
Re: How many flushes from a 6lb block [Re: Soviet Data]
    #27630878 - 01/24/22 11:26 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Southerner said:
Would y’all mind helping me figure out what’s going on with lions mane on agar? I’ve read a couple other threads where they experienced the same thing but I’m still having trouble getting it to grow on agar.

I’ve grown a few bags out great but when I take a piece off of one plate to another it is hit or miss. Some plates have been sitting for weeks with nothing visible. I’ve seen it take off on plates before and move it to the same agar recipe and nothing. It’s confusing the hell out of me. Even took a small piece to wheat which took off but as soon as I took a grain back to agar it stalled. Fuckin stumped.

Grain water at 2.4% agar. Indoor temps between 60-70 most of the time.

I accidentally posted this in another thread a little while ago and hijacked it — again, sorry about that. Wanted to post an update in case anyone else experiences this.

I switched my agar from hot soaked grain water using tap water to LME agar using distilled water and the lions mane is growing nicely again on agar. Still not as fast as oyster but now I’m able to use it routinely with the others. 1.5% LME and 2.5% agar in distilled water. Also sped up agar growth for Gymnopilus and Mexicana.

Guessing something in my well water was having an effect as I’ve used grain water from both oats and wheat with the same thing happening. May try hot soaking my grains in distilled water in the future to test it.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder