Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLSDCubed
Finally I understand peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: US
Re: Hi - New Grower [Re: smalltalk_canceled]
    #27615263 - 01/11/22 02:55 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Welcome. I'm a noob myself but I've learnt a lot from reading posts here and corroborating that to my experience so far.

Big ups to you for doing things right right from the get go. I went the cheaper way of uncle Ben's tek as a beginner. Not the best, I learnt that the hard way. But it worked well when it did.

Good looking jars (j3 is a tosser as other Saud, definitely not myc except those two regions circled) for MSS to grain transfer but in the future I suggest grain to agar- isolate a couple times -grain spawn. Try bulk grows with CVG in monotubs. Personally I setup a Martha but there are several teks where you need nothing else but the monotub, set and forget once you dial in FAE and humidity.

As far as G2a, do it. But do it from the cleaner jars. Less work later when you do a further isolation. Don't waste your time and energy for j3. You can clean it out with soap and water. No other chemicals necessary because it will go through pressure cooking again.

Agar is freaking awesome and I'm almost jealous you did it in your first days of growing. I thought shroomery was too serious for my casual hobby but I'm in deep now. I'm saving up for a flow hood to round out my setup.

While I'm here, I have a question. While PCing these jars with modified lids (filter sticker), can I close them shut or do they have to be open quarter turn, to let out pressure? I'm guessing they can be shut all the way but I don't want to find out if they shouldn't be if others already have the experience, lol.

Good luck and safe trips.

--------------------
Sometimes, we all need a little help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMcmeaties
Stranger
Re: Hi - New Grower [Re: LSDCubed]
    #27615285 - 01/11/22 03:17 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

So yer.... the experience in the forums immediately shows in the last few posts... Quite clearly the best idea is to G2A from the non-fucked jars, it's obvious now you have all pointed it out. 

I Think my little mind was saying

"Come on, don't be a slag, you can still get something from J3, you just need to put some fucking effort in you absolute pork sword!"

Stupid brain!

The filter stickers don't need a turn or anything. They are basically the same as boshing micropore tape over the holes, no possible way pressure can build up. Check me out giving advice back.... In all honesty they only reason I have them is because they came bundled with a pack of self healing injection ports - it was the ports i was after not the filters.  Must admit though, they are quite nifty.

Link to them here if anyone is in the UK: DELETED

Back to the Titan desiccator: I have a dehydrator in the loft I used to use for Biltong. The reason for using the GPU was just convenience/lazyness. In honesty probably didn't need to dry them as they were gone the same evening.  That was my first and only (so far fingers crossed) taste of psychedelic, next day I was on google looking at how to DIY some.  I quickly realised that liberty caps are notoriously had to grow as they rely on grass roots (i know there is a name for that type of fungus but the name escapes me).

McM

Edited to remove link to injection port/filter supplies

Edited by Mcmeaties (01/11/22 03:31 PM)

OfflineMcmeaties
Stranger
Re: Hi - New Grower [Re: normalperson]
    #27615289 - 01/11/22 03:20 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

normalperson said:
Quote:

Mcmeaties said:
is if it worth taking a grain spawn to agar transfer from J3 before I bin it?  Would it be worth plucking out the white myc (ringed in red) or just a fools errand?

Thanks again all

Mcm

Are all 3 jars from the same syringe? If yes, why even bother with the 3rd jar, just take a grain from one of the cleaner jars.

And yes... all from one syringe - advice accepted, death to J3!

OfflineMcmeaties
Stranger
Re: Hi - New Grower [Re: Mcmeaties]
    #27616949 - 01/13/22 05:34 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

RIP J3.

Quick question I think one of these Jars is now ready to go to bulk? However, the other is trailing behind slightly. Should I wait for the second jar to catch up, or just send both to bulk now (even though some grains are not fully colonised)?

Thoughts on a postcard.

McM

Edited by Mcmeaties (01/13/22 05:37 AM)

InvisibleGoatrider
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Loc: Germany
Re: Hi - New Grower [Re: Mcmeaties] * 1
    #27616953 - 01/13/22 05:39 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Never send grain jars colonized less than 100% :wink:

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

OfflineMcmeaties
Stranger
Re: Hi - New Grower [Re: Goatrider]
    #27616958 - 01/13/22 05:52 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Ok thanks, Goat. 

Think im getting excited about the next step. I'm a 'doer' so all the waiting has been killing me, i need to chill and let that sucker ride...

*has a word with himself in the corner*
"just chill dude you got this ain't no point rushing it and ballsing it up like a tosser - Patience, young padawan"

InvisibleGoatrider
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

#27616971 - 01/13/22 06:18 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

You wanna spend them both to a minimono or something?
Maybe do each to a shoebox.
I´d recommend it as you just sterilized for 60 mins
and one jar has some spikey mycelium so maybe little bacterial.
If you send them both to one tub chances are one bacterial jar may ruin it.
Not necessarily, but possible :wink:

--------------------

OfflineMcmeaties
Stranger
Re: Hi - New Grower [Re: Goatrider]
    #27616993 - 01/13/22 07:09 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Yes i thought about spliting them as Two jars have already gone down the pan. Any recommendations on which tek to use, the quantity of options on here can be overwhelming sometimes.

Im also going to grap a grain from each and send to agar. Once clean T3/4 im going to have a pop at slants and LC.

In addition i wad planning to G2G a couple of berries as i have 2 jars (J3&J4) which are now empty waiting for more... Is that worth it or should i wait to get clean agar based inoculation? I suppose the risk of G2G from the current jars is carrying any bacteria over to the next grow.. Choices choices..

If i do manage to get some fruits then ill also take the best for a spore print to have a crack at that aswell.

With the reading i have done it has amazed me how long you can keep the genetics going. I originally assumed that 1mss = 1grow, how wrong i was!

Thanks again

OfflineMcmeaties
Stranger
    #27628125 - 01/22/22 09:03 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Ok so, though I would post an update:

Firstly, let me say the main thing im loving so far if is the possibility of experimentation.  I'm completely new to all this but from just one MS syringe iv been having a blast learning, testing, experimenting and considering new and interesting way to modify the already established (and superbly described) Teks.  Im under no doubt that many of my modification/experiments will fail, but the amazing thing is there are so may routes to maintain and clean the genetic line that splitting that one syringe between multiple projects has been a blast, and im saying that even before I have even grown my first mushroom (if that does eventually happen...). But in honesty even if i dont get a mushroom at the end of all this it's time well spent imo.

So the 2 (reasonable) grain jars have gone to bulk using Bod's unmodified. Too early to say if it will fail or succeed, but fuck it, its been fun.  I'm expecting fail so it can only be a bonus if I do get something from it.

The agar from MS was a complete fail, but I have had some success when I pulled a grain (and some spots of verm) from the grin jars as i was transferring the other 99.9% of the grains to bulk.  They need transfers and cleaning, and that is the next job.  I'm already preping some slants and an LC so once the G2A have been cleaned I have a medium to store and continue the experiments. 

Next on the list of experiments
- Slants
- LC
- A2G transfer
- Continue with the PF tubs
- Continue with the monotub
- More experiments...
- Get fucked up (ideally)

Some general pics below.

If any other newbies read this, then I have one piece of advice (from a man who is yet to grow a mushroom so take it with a massive rock of salt :laugh:) - That MS syringe you have just brought can go a loooooooooong way.  Don't put all your eggs in one basket.  The option of spreading that syringe (and genetics) over multiple projects is huge, so get your moneys worth from the start!

In summary, enjoy the process and the learning curve dont focus on the shrooms.  Biology is, and always will be, the winner in this hobby...

McM

InvisibleGoatrider
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

#27628144 - 01/22/22 09:19 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

That´s the spirit :thumbup:
I like what you´re doing, great job.

One small hint:
Look for alu foil on the jars not hanging all the way down.
It shouldn´t get in contact with raging water from below.
Water can find its way up from adhesion messing up your moisture content.
Just fold up to cover the rim and done :wink:

--------------------

OfflinePutrema
1shroomis1shroomer

#27628153 - 01/22/22 09:28 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

It could be, that your first materialized mushroom is not that far away

InvisibleMysticMycologist
Dirt Sherpa
Male

Loc: seeking samadhi
Re: Hi - New Grower [Re: Putrema]
    #27628162 - 01/22/22 09:39 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I definitely see mushrooms in OP’s future…
:dancingshroom:

--------------------
Two eyes to look, One eye to see.
Prying open my third eye

OfflineMcmeaties
Stranger
Re: Hi - New Grower [Re: MysticMycologist]
    #27628206 - 01/22/22 10:18 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Goat, thanks for all you comments throughout this thread.

Mystic & putrema, fingers and toes crossed!

OfflineMcmeaties
Stranger
    #27648312 - 02/06/22 01:13 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

So - 15 daya since the last post and I thought I would provide an update....PINS!!!!!!....REAL, ACTUAL, PINS!!

MONOTUB
Yer so, monotub is going well using UnBODifies, no messing around, bosh it in and watch it goooo.... So far I see about 40-50 pins but think there are some other knots that might turn any second.  No sign of any contams as of today.

As you can imagine well please for a first crack, but still wary it could stall or stop at any moment.

A2A
Looking good so far moved two slicers to a couple of perti dishes and they seem to be going well with no signs of contam.  This agar is using liquid malt extract (with a bash of honey)rather than powdered ME as couldn't get hold of any ,seem to be going ok.

Source agar (T1) below:

T2

T2

A2G
The A2G is doing its thing and these 3 jars look much nice than the first try - Think the advice about PC'ing for longer really helped as these were PC'ed for 100mins. Also, i let them dry out more after the 10min stove cook prior to loading the jars.  I also missed out the verm at the bottom which held too much moisture.

BRF CAKES

Looking good so far, took users advice an am using a water tub tek (credit) rather than a SGFC.  Nice wet walls but too soon to tell if it will work as only transferred to the tub yesterday

A2LC
Seems ok, not tested on agar yet but some nice white fluff in there...  Nutrients are the grain water + a dash of honey.

A2S Un-slanted 'slant'
Seems ok so far agar was knocked up at the same time (and composition) as the petri dishes. One thing I would say is that it looks alot more fluffy than the perti dishes so I knocked a hole in the top to get some GE.

All in going well so far (with the obvious caveat that i haven't got a mushroom to speak of yet)!

Questions I have (if anyone has the time):
1: Now I have pins in the mono, do i stop misting completely?  I have not been misting constantly only to keep water beads.  I haven't got the hang of 'dialing' yet.

2: Do i mist the water tub BRF's?  Every time I have the verm top coat just soaks up the water...

3: should i do another a2a transfer or are the T2 plates good enough to fridge to store genetics?  (also how long(ish) to plates last in the fridge?)

4: Should I bin the T1 (source) plate? it has some funky look yellow stuff..

OfflineMcmeaties
Stranger
    #27648318 - 02/06/22 01:19 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Oh - and any comments/suggestions/tips/tricks also welcome...:smirk:

Offlinesmalltalk_canceled
Babnik
 User Gallery

#27648531 - 02/06/22 04:38 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

So he got shroom because he G2A

well well

--------------------
Willpower is the one true virtue

OfflineMcmeaties
Stranger
Re: Hi - New Grower [Re: smalltalk_canceled]
    #27651725 - 02/09/22 01:27 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Hi, quick question.  Since i have pins i stopped misting to maintain surface conditions. The little beads of h2o have all but gone, but walls and lid are still streaked with water.

Should i restart misting in order to maintain surface conditionsls, or not? Substrate still seems damp, but with a lack of beaded water...

Edited by Mcmeaties (02/09/22 02:18 AM)

Offlinecubenoob101
expanded consciousness

#27651751 - 02/09/22 02:30 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

You can, but I personally wouldn't. When your substrate had field capacity the moisture content should be enough for the fist flush. As long as water is condensing on your walls and lid there should be enough humidity inside. But that's just my opinion!
But if you mist, fan it well afterwards to let some of the water evaporate. The evaporation of the tiny water droplets causes pins to show up.

OfflineMcmeaties
Stranger
Re: Hi - New Grower [Re: cubenoob101]
    #27655991 - 02/12/22 04:23 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Getting nervous...

They seem to have been stuck at this stage for like 2 days....

Still unBodified, but I have widened the crack in the lid.  I have also stopped misting. Am I being impatient or is there something I need to do to trigger the final push?

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #27656011 - 02/12/22 05:35 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Leave em alone and let em grow!

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck