Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineprettyboy
Stranger
tv junkies: an open message to the lazy and uninspired
    #2762766 - 06/04/04 11:52 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

having read trip reports all morning, here is an open message to every one of them that involved sitting around, tripping out and watching tv.

why don't you do something more constructive with your trip?

realize that with the power of the psychedelic experience comes the potential to *profoundly impact* your life, just like any significant non-drug event can (such as solo traveling, being in love, losing a loved one, moving, having a near death experience, etc.)... i don't criticize a drug-induced 'experience' as any less valid than those things, but it DOES make me depressed to see *so many of you* simply wasting it sitting on your ass in front of the tube.

for instance, i see a thread recently entitled "Intense Level 5 trip report"

BUT, instead of reading a reports of someone recounting how the food of the gods has provided a shatteringly beautiful experience of life-altering consequence (for the better, of course!), i read:

"I got home and sat down, turned on the T.V. And started to watch a TLC Program"

what the hell.

pardon my preaching, but like many a post citing "and then i watched some tv......", everything from that sentence onward is simply recounting the magic of the psychedelic experience reduced to a Fox special (or pardon, TLC, as the case here was...)

the problem that i DO have with a drug-induced experience is if you let the drug's effects do all the work for you just as passively as you sit your ass on the couch watching tv, you take the front row centre at the feet of god only to squander the experience like balancing a tub of popcorn on your fatass stomach at the movies.

to waste such a potentially divine experience simply on the lack of imagination to think of ANYTHING better to do that might actually require some active participation is what i say makes you lazy and uninspired.

and yes, i DO hope that's pissing some people off to read right now, specifically the ones who get most touchy when someone says something they know is accurate in a negative way.

turn off the damn tv and go outside when you trip, jesus christ... even if its the same sad little 9'x9' square of grass we in the city called a 'backyard' that i have to appreciate. or go to a park. i *guarantee* there's one within a 10-minute walk of you no matter where you are in the city. and if not, then maybe you should think of that BEFORE you arbitrarily eat a handful of psychoactive material something just because you're bored.

millennia ago, humans did the same thing and had HUGE ORGY-LIKE ECSTATIC RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCES over it. what are you having? American Idol with cool Jello-like visuals? cooooooooooooooooool maaaaaaaan. gimmie a break.

because fine, we all get bored. but my point is, put a little PLANNING into it and *make* something of the experience for fuck's sake!

the unbelievable amount of vapid stoner-talk banality and childish 'hyuk hyuk cooooool maaaaan' remarks i've read in most of the trip reports i came across today makes me see EXACTLY why getting high and 'stoner culture' is plagued by the raging stereotype that it is. its exactly why i myself have to be selective about who i tell regarding my own trips. as each one of you trivializes the effects of what you are doing exactly by DOING NOTHING, you add another brick to this stereotype that people who use psychedelics are just lazy, apathetic, thrill-seeking losers who abuse substances with all the ambition and discretion of button-mashing the tv remote.

because if that's what you DO, then that's what you ARE, genius.

so..... all i can hope is that having read this, anyone who's tripping today, tomorrow or in times to come with plans to write a trip report about it... try actually HAVING SOMETHING TO REPORT.

SIDENOTE:

-While tripping + listening to music is a moderately more involved activity than mindless TV vegging, no doubt one i myself enjoy, there's still faaaaar more stimulating things you can do. again, the lazy way out is to pick an activity that just requires 'sit and stare'.

-The above includes the Net and computer too. Forget the lame Winamp plugins, GOD.... see below for a few ideas on how to find an activity that might actually give you some genuine fulfillment:

APPENDIX:

just so you don't think i'm all talk, no action, here's a starter list of things to do:

Things to Do With Animals:

-Get a wild animal to tolerate your prescence (geese, or other 'city' animals work well for this)

-Pet an animal, especially one that's not yours. Bonus points for non-domestic animals and a gold star for anything 'wild'.

-Pretend you are the same species as that animal by paying attention (i.e. learning! yay!) ITS method of language and behaviour, instead of relying on your own assumptions. Are you on the same wavelength? Can you even 'communicate' with it, through modifying your behaviour?

Things to Do With Your Own Body:

-Hold your body steady in any unusual position for as long as you can... lift your legs up, or hold a 'crunch' position like you are mid-situp.... or push your legs up against a wall and push upward into a handstand....... (also known as yoga --> YES, in a basic way, that's ALL it really involves... wow, didn't know it was so simple, did you... now you've got NO excuse not to try it, except laziness again)

-Control your intake of breath so that as you slowly inhale, you only take in as liiiiiiiiittle as possible juuust enough to fight off the immediate urge to breathe out... you should be able to extend this slow, slow intake of breath to 30 seconds or more.... (also known as pranyama breathing --> again, in a basic way, that's ALL there is to it... and i don't care how fat you are, you can hold your goddamn breath just as well as anyone else)

-Have a deep bath by candlelight --> no, not because you are a sissy fag, but because you want to be amazed by both the sensation of warm body (remember the womb? no? maybe you'd like to?) and gain an appreciation for the essence of non-electric light.....

-Jerk off with a candle flame without burning yourself --> Think that's funny and/or not possible? i wonder why. Maybe TLC has the answer.

-Talk to yourself in the mirror --> YEAH THAT'S RIGHT. The big 'do not look in the mirror while on shrooms' thing.... I have an idea. STARE INTO IT. Stare into your bugged out black beady eyes. You know why you shouldn't look in the mirror? Because it'll trip your ass into ego-burning hell and most people don't want to go there on a voluntary basis. Well guess what... the only things you will see are what's in your own head. Welcome to Yoda's cave.... remember when Luke asked what was in there and Yoda said, "Only what you take with you." Listen to Yoda and see if you can handle your own head. FOr better or worse, I guarantee a FAAAAAAAAAAR more impactful experience than channels 2 through 198.

Fun Things to Do With Friends:

-Give someone a full-back massage --> no, not the lame 'oh let me rub your shoulders' come-on guys try to use on chicks. If you can't take your shirt off around the person (people) you are tripping with, you need to worry about making yourself some better friends waaaaay before you start hitting the drugs.

-While massaging, use an oil and don't just mechanically RUB like you think you know what you are doing... Instead, envision their muscles in your mind (should be PLENTY easy while tripping out) and 'see' them with your hands. Go SLOW... isolate one muscle and trace its SHAPE, find out where it connects. A knot is really easy to recognize, because your fingers 'jump' around it when they hit it. Squishy skin, squishy skin, HARD BUMP. hmmm.... giving a good massage is about as hard as the yoga we talked about above. That's ALL there is to it, for starters.

-Try to 'play' the massage 'like an instrument' or a song... is this a mellow song? a peaceful song? an aggressive song? work your massage like you are composing a symphony... add slow parts and hard parts and mellow parts and crescendos and bridges....... etc.

-Stare into another person's eyes without saying a word. I dare you to do it while on shrooms for more than 10 seconds. You think the MIRROR game was something........

-Get two light-weight wooden dowels (sticks). You can find them at craft stores and sometimes gardening places. Or fuck, even two thin straight tree branches or anything stick-like and light will do. Have each person support one end of the sticks with ONLY ONE FINGER. You know, like you are ET with his glowing finger.... Now try MOVING the sticks around without dropping them and NO TALKING. Oh oh! What do we notice? You can only successfully move the stick if you co-operate....... that means you have to communicate non-verbally with your partner. Have one person 'lead' then switch it up... or better yet, don't decide on who will lead. You'll soon find this becomes a 'dance' as you move around. DO this while tripping and welcome yourself to the nearest thing human begins can know to telepathy.

ok HOPEFULLY you get the point by now.

remember...... if you are going to report a trip, HAVE SOMETHING TO REPORT.

prettyboy.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleboeha
explorer

Re: tv junkies: an open message to the lazy and uninspired [Re: prettyboy]
    #2762849 - 06/04/04 12:20 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

No offense;
but:
Quote:

-Pretend you are the same species as that animal by paying attention (i.e. learning! yay!) ITS method of language and behaviour, instead of relying on your own assumptions. Are you on the same wavelength? Can you even 'communicate' with it, through modifying your behaviour?

I think you saw Fear And Loathing too much...
"There's some kind of electric snake, in the sky..."
- "Shoot it!"
"Not yet, I wanna study its habits..."

Am I right or am I right or am I right. :wink:

I think you set the standard way too high!!!
In order to become truely enlightened by a substance, your mind must be ready for it; and to be honest, I don't think that's the case with most people!
We live in a society where you have to know everything, earn everything, prove everything; so finding the peace of mind as preparation for such a trip is very difficult.

There is absolutely, positively nothing wrong with eating mushrooms and then watch a funny movie. There is no proof that a great time with lots of laughter (by watching a tv-show) should be considered a less achieving experience.
Furthermore; you can also watch a movie on your tv almost made for tripping; like watching fear and loathing, yellow submarine, baraka; I can't see what's wrong with this, because it almost challenges you to think, to be creative with thoughts, to feel deep emotions...

But I do agree that a creative trip (where you dance, draw, paint, meditate or make love) can be much better than just watching a show.
I'm not sayin' all of a sudden you'll be the best painter of lover or dancer; but the feeling that you really enjoy doing it yourself, is under the influence of mushrooms very extatic and life-improving!

So I don't agree that we all have to like change our trip-rituals; but it is fun to try new stuff.

--------------------
- turn on, tune in, drop out ...
- peace, love and understanding ...

Edited by boeha (06/04/04 12:21 PM)

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

#2762976 - 06/04/04 01:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yea I agree watching tv while tripping is just absolutely absurd. Its a good way to get grounded if you're sick of tripping and things aren't going great, but if you're having anything but a horrible and unproductive trip, why would you want to bring yourself down with the opiate of the masses?

--------------------

Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
    #2763224 - 06/04/04 02:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Good post man, got me thinking.
I agree that TV is an opiate of the masses and a waste of time , I am glad I kicked the habit 3 years ago , so to say

Unfortunately, I myself now have the following habit when stoned from weed or tripping on mushrooms. I am sitting in my room , listening to music and thinking about stuff, occasionally reading something in a book or the net.

I feel that this experience is a bit more involving and active than watching TV, but still, it might be a waste of time sometimes. I am not sure, I will have to do many other activities to compare.

The main thing is to have one's mind fully occupied and working during the trip. After all, Mckenna said that the best trips are in silent darkness only within one's mind.

TV distracts from this, and I definitely see it as a waste of the trip.

However, just vegging with music might have its good sites, it is almost a trance/meditation with the right sound!

OfflineNickatina
journeyman
Male
Loc: Bay Area, California.
    #2763276 - 06/04/04 02:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I don't have enough of an attention span to watch anything on shrooms. To much for me to handle.

There's no way I'm ever doin this on shrooms or not: "-Jerk off with a candle flame without burning yourself --> Think that's funny and/or not possible? i wonder why. Maybe TLC has the answer. "

--------------------
"Make the most of the hemp seed, Sow it everywhere" -George Washington

Edited by Nickatina (06/04/04 02:37 PM)

OfflineLizard_King
Twisted from theother side ofDeath
Male
Loc: Vansterdam
Re: tv junkies: an open message to the lazy and uninspired [Re: gotmagog]
    #2763394 - 06/04/04 03:02 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Prettyboy you are my hero.

Offlinewhiterabbit13
I'm late

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #2764498 - 06/04/04 10:44 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

TV is a deffinate buzz kill. What a waste.

--------------------

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
 User Gallery
Loc: subtropics
Re: tv junkies: an open message to the lazy and uninspired [Re: Noviseer]
    #2765278 - 06/05/04 03:27 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Rock N roll

--------------------

I got some milk and cookies for you Santa!:heart::tongue:

OfflineK20A2
Male
    #2770072 - 06/06/04 10:19 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Good stuff on here - From everyone.

Back to the top.

OfflineKingkole
im not a noob...im a a doob

Loc: canadiana
Re: tv junkies: an open message to the lazy and uninspired [Re: K20A2]
    #2770707 - 06/07/04 03:13 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I like watching movies or TV Or a funny short film on da net to ease the come up on shrooms sometimes.

but yer right its a waste of mushrooms to sit there the entire time.

But still i do watch movies coming down to, but during the peak? No way dude im way to out there.

OfflineInjectTruth
Wasting my Time,Waiting for theEnd
Male

Loc: New Jerusalem
Re: tv junkies: an open message to the lazy and uninspired [Re: Kingkole]
    #2773385 - 06/08/04 12:22 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Pompous Asshole

--------------------
On a personal level, Freaking Out is a process whereby an
individual casts off outmoded and restricting standars of
thinking, dress, and social etiquette in order to express
CREATIVELY his relationship to his immediate environment and
the social structure as a whole.

http://www.OrganicPharming.com - Ethno Shopping Portal

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#2773406 - 06/08/04 12:41 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

prettyboy said:
having read trip reports all morning, here is an open message to every one of them that involved sitting around, tripping out and watching tv.

why don't you do something more constructive with your trip?

remember...... if you are going to report a trip, HAVE SOMETHING TO REPORT.

I have an open message to people who try do dictate how other's should use their time while under the influence:
Don't

as for the last part, fully agree.

--------------------

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: tv junkies: an open message to the lazy and uninspired [Re: jux]
    #2773425 - 06/08/04 12:57 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Some people are doing certain things for the wrong reasons. But most will find the right reasons soon enough.

But yes, TV is a major waste of time while bemushroomed.

Trying camping, listening to music, etc..

Offlineprettyboy
Stranger
Re: tv junkies: an open message to the lazy and uninspired [Re: jux]
    #2777365 - 06/09/04 10:53 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i'm encouraged by the mostly positive response to this thread.

watching a funny movie with friends laughing is certainly a good time... laughing's a great, positive, mind-enhancing experience, and doing so with friends is always a plus (one would assume that is why, in part, one HAS friends...)

but considering the profundity of the mushroom experience was once significant enough to base *entire tribal religions* around (the open-minded shamanic kind, not the repressive dogmatic ones obviously), laughing at the TV while shrooming is a little like getting drunk to visit a Tibetian monastery.

sure, you'd be laughing and hooting and probably having a grand time with your friends, but the drug's effects + the nature of the activity defeats (or at least dulls) the potential impact of the experience, wouldn't you say?

Quote:

Pompous Asshole

like i said, pardon my preaching. but i guess it's true, the burden of responsibility is on those who assert. but before you point your finger, maybe try adding something constructive to the discussion next time.

Quote:

I have an open message to people who try do dictate how other's should use their time while under the influence:
Don't

alas, free will makes the wonderful difference between a recommendation and a dictation. no one's twisting your arm to take my advice (or even read it). but of course, when i take over the world, you better watch out. :smile:

anyway, if any of you don't think every shroom experience should be a trip-ritual, then why bother with the experience? i guess it's that funny concept of 'recreational drugs'...

i don't have a problem with using drugs for kicks, since obviously the shroom experience is supposed to be wonderfully ecstatic. but i do think using a shroom trip as passive 'entertainment' is happily tra-la-la-ing down the same abusive path as television has reached... letting yourself sit your ass down and idlely letting something else do the 'entertaining' for you, without having to lift a finger.

prettyboy.

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #2782224 - 06/10/04 04:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

-Give someone a full-back massage --> no, not the lame 'oh let me rub your shoulders' come-on guys try to use on chicks. If you can't take your shirt off around the person (people) you are tripping with, you need to worry about making yourself some better friends waaaaay before you start hitting the drugs.

-While massaging, use an oil and don't just mechanically RUB like you think you know what you are doing... Instead, envision their muscles in your mind (should be PLENTY easy while tripping out) and 'see' them with your hands. Go SLOW... isolate one muscle and trace its SHAPE, find out where it connects. A knot is really easy to recognize, because your fingers 'jump' around it when they hit it. Squishy skin, squishy skin, HARD BUMP. hmmm.... giving a good massage is about as hard as the yoga we talked about above. That's ALL there is to it, for starters.

OK but what if we aren't gay? Seriously bro your advice is good but you give it with a really negative, condescending tone.

OfflineK20A2
Male
Re: tv junkies: an open message to the lazy and uninspired [Re: question_for_joo]
    #2782926 - 06/10/04 09:26 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Trip with a female. Im going to dose a friend of mine over the summer for her first time. Im sure it will be a wonderful experience that I will never want to end.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #2783118 - 06/10/04 10:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

While it's extremely rare that I watch any TV while tripping, the only channel worth watching tripping is the Discovery Channel. Occassionally I'll watch my Family Guy DVD while coming up (good to take your mind off the coming up, release any nervousness and put you in a good state for tripping,) or maybe watch some of Lord of the Rings while my trip is nearing its end or such, but it's definitely not a good idea to sit there channel flipping and wondering why your trip isn't very spiritual. Go out to nature if you want spiritual. Most TV only deadens the mind

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflinePeyoteZen
Save The Republic
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Again!
Re: tv junkies: an open message to the lazy and uninspired [Re: Ravus]
    #2790239 - 06/13/04 05:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Prettyboy
Man, thats fundamentalism
Its not helping anyone

I fully agree with you. There are many experiences that are FAR more "fullfilling" than doin the typical "american stuff".
But don't tell people what to do.
Thats just arrogant

--------------------

OfflineAjna_Chakra
(getting)stranger
Loc: ?atalh?y?k
    #2791053 - 06/13/04 11:40 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

fuck that shit ... you are absolutely right my friend. thank you very much and any persons who say different or say "But it's just a little television .. who are you to tell us oh high and mighty what to do ... tv is harmless" NO! your wrong and your fucking wrong! television is not harmless, it is not fun - it is a culturally sanctioned conditioning agent used to spread an ideology of inactivity that glorifies ignorance and stupidity so fuck any persons who subjects themselves to that tripping or no ...

well done my friend for your post, I tip my hat off to you.

--------------------
All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Invisibleboeha
explorer

Re: tv junkies: an open message to the lazy and uninspired [Re: Ajna_Chakra]
    #2791300 - 06/14/04 12:58 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

So I should consider myself brainwashed just 'cause I like to watch series like Sopranos,Family guy... ?

I don't know; that's pretty narrowminded if you ask me.

--------------------
- turn on, tune in, drop out ...
- peace, love and understanding ...

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience