Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleNoLuckChuck
Second Attempt

Bulk contam
    #27626805 - 01/21/22 08:49 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Here’s the short story:

Spawned rye grain 2:1 ratio to coir and verm. Waited 7 days and took a peak inside. Saw almost 100% colonization. Decided to wait another week and half before putting into fruiting conditions. Opened trat up today to begin fruiting and found mean green on one of the spots not previously colonized.

This is attempt #6 with the same result. Is this just dumb luck or am I missing something here?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleE_Dubbya
Male

Re: Bulk contam [Re: NoLuckChuck] * 1
    #27626827 - 01/21/22 09:03 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

What is your full process before going to bulk? It's obviously an issue with your spawn, so either you are not prepping the grain properly or you are giving the grain contams when inoculating. Are you using agar?MS?LC?

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleMysticMycologist
Dirt Sherpa
Male

Loc: seeking samadhi
Re: Bulk contam [Re: E_Dubbya]
    #27626836 - 01/21/22 09:13 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

:whathesaid:

Coir and verm do not germinate mold spores very well at all. I would almost bet your spawn is the culprit. I run shoeboxes in the most unsanitary, mold spore infested basement this side of the Mississippi, and never have trouble during colonization, unless I use sketchy spawn. Bacterial spawn often goes moldy before the first flush after mixing with bulk. The mycelium is to stressed from fighting the bacteria to fend off the mold.

How do you make your rye spawn and how did it look? What was your grain prep and sterilization cycle like? Any pics? They are worth a thousand words.

InvisibleNoLuckChuck
Second Attempt

Re: Bulk contam [Re: MysticMycologist]
    #27627038 - 01/21/22 11:40 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

So I don’t keep pictures for many reasons. My grain prep is standard Rogerrabbit tek from let’s grow mushrooms. Took about 2.5 months to fully colonize which is way long. I am growing penis envy strain.

I grew my first batch of p envy in brf cakes then took tissue sample and cloned to agar. I had problems getting a clean petri specimen. You guys confirmed my suspicion that potentially my agar wedges were already contaminated initially.

I always thought that green mold in rye jars would show its self before the full colonization stage. Anymore advice would be helpful but my course of action at this point is to restart from spore to grain.

I feel my grain sterilization is on point following RR TEK and my procedures are sterile up until pasteurization of the bulk and mixing coir, verm, and the colonized rye.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds