Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinehalf.fast
but not too slow, either
I'm a teapot

Loc: Down there
Jumping head first into the cactus world * 2
    #27514425 - 10/22/21 09:46 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

After spending a while in the mushroom lands I've decided to slide on over to the cactus side of town. So far I've acquired three items to play with:

This is a trunk cutting of Trichocereus pachanoi, which was super sad when it arrived. It was very light weight, sickly green, and the ribs were skinny and felt sort of hollow and crunchy inside when I squeezed them a bit. He also looked like he'd lost quite a few bar fights with some other cacti. I don't think he'd have done very well if I'd tried to root him as-is. So I put him in the hospital where he's been getting lots of misting and a bit of afternoon sun. He's looking pretty good now so I'll be plopping him on his side in a nice pot soon.

Right after the Trich arrived I ordered these seeds, because cactus is just about the only plant I've never tried growing from seed. They sound like pretty fun stuff from their descriptions. The seeds on the left are a TPC x KT-Ogun cross, which I hope will be crested like the female parent, while the seeds on the right are a Bridgesii PAL x LumberJack cross. I'm itching to try these guys out soon.

Speaking of itching, what beginner cactus collection would be complete without some Pereskiopsis? I ordered four cuttings, and they sent six, rolled up in some newspaper and stuffed into a bubble-pak envelope. Judging by how pale and dehydrated everyone was, I'd say they'd been cut quite a while ago and left out for far too long. They've only had a couple of days in the cactus hospital but most seem to be recuperating nicely. I'll convince the more reluctant ones to come back to life soon enough.

A lot of people who grow cactus seems to become obsessed about it. I'm hoping I can just dip my toes in the water a bit for the fun of it. :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Jumping head first into the cactus world [Re: half.fast]
    #27514776 - 10/23/21 08:41 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

All the best with your new hobby and the start of your collection HalfFast.  Yes cactus can easily become an obsession.  But a good one I think, as long as you have the room.  For me it took some time to figure out how to care for them.  They really are quite different from other plants in terms of the conditions that they like.  Keep them outdoors as much as your weather / climate permits.  And always be on the lookout for rot, since it is the biggest killer of cacti.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Invisibleshroominmyroom
Grasshopper

#27515559 - 10/23/21 07:43 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Noice. TPC X KT-Ogun is an expensive cross. Excellent first choice to have fun with.
Someday soon I'll feel rich enough to buy that kind of cross.

Quote:

half.fast said:
... I'm hoping I can just dip my toes in the water a bit for the fun of it. :grin:

:lol: That's funny.

Offlinehalf.fast
but not too slow, either
I'm a teapot

Re: Jumping head first into the cactus world [Re: shroominmyroom]
    #27515643 - 10/23/21 09:07 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Grey Fox said:
All the best with your new hobby and the start of your collection HalfFast.  Yes cactus can easily become an obsession.  But a good one I think, as long as you have the room.  For me it took some time to figure out how to care for them.  They really are quite different from other plants in terms of the conditions that they like.  Keep them outdoors as much as your weather / climate permits.  And always be on the lookout for rot, since it is the biggest killer of cacti.

Fortunately I'll be able to plant everything outside at some point. I have a couple of hundred square feet of raised planting bed I can dedicate to cactus, which should have better drainage. I've read a number of posts by people who have to haul everything down into their basements for the winter. Glad I don't have to do that!

Quote:

shroominmyroom said:
Noice. TPC X KT-Ogun is an expensive cross. Excellent first choice to have fun with.
Someday soon I'll feel rich enough to buy that kind of cross.

Quote:

half.fast said:
... I'm hoping I can just dip my toes in the water a bit for the fun of it. :grin:

I knew somebody would spot the splurge on the TPX X KT-Ogun seeds. I'm thinking that might have led to the bit of hilarity that followed...:wink:

I'm really hoping I don't get sucked right down the rabbit hole with this new adventure.

Invisibleshroominmyroom
Grasshopper

#27516219 - 10/24/21 12:05 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

TPC X KT-Ogun is an excellent cross. Mother's a freak. You'll have fun if you're into crests and freaky seedlings.
It's not a bad investment. I would've bought some of those cross if I felt rich inside.

OfflinelillFish
Daydreamer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Recliner
    #27521669 - 10/28/21 03:05 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

oh BOY, you are in for a treat. Prepare to get addicted to collecting these babies... :feelsjohngoodman:

--------------------
My Wish & Trade list

Offlinethesporesolution
Stranger

#27550167 - 11/19/21 05:40 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

shroominmyroom said:

Quote:

half.fast said:

:laugh: this is what I thought too lol

OfflineArchaic
Revived
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert.
Re: Jumping head first into the cactus world [Re: half.fast] * 1
    #27553681 - 11/22/21 02:03 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

And Pereskiopsis are hard to kill plants that love tons of water. You can root them in water alone. They can look nearly dead and bounce back fairly quickly. Within a year a small cutting can turn into a really nasty bush. They'll also grow very tall. I have one growing through a 10 foot tall bush it's using as scaffolding and it's popping out the top about 12 feet probably. I graft tiny seedlings into them.

InvisibleSnowFat
ExcitedtoB
I'm a teapot

#27598479 - 12/29/21 10:36 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

half.fast said:
After spending a while in the mushroom lands I've decided to slide on over to the cactus side of town. So far I've acquired three items to play with:

This is a trunk cutting of Trichocereus pachanoi, which was super sad when it arrived. It was very light weight, sickly green, and the ribs were skinny and felt sort of hollow and crunchy inside when I squeezed them a bit. He also looked like he'd lost quite a few bar fights with some other cacti. I don't think he'd have done very well if I'd tried to root him as-is. So I put him in the hospital where he's been getting lots of misting and a bit of afternoon sun. He's looking pretty good now so I'll be plopping him on his side in a nice pot soon.

Right after the Trich arrived I ordered these seeds, because cactus is just about the only plant I've never tried growing from seed. They sound like pretty fun stuff from their descriptions. The seeds on the left are a TPC x KT-Ogun cross, which I hope will be crested like the female parent, while the seeds on the right are a Bridgesii PAL x LumberJack cross. I'm itching to try these guys out soon.

Speaking of itching, what beginner cactus collection would be complete without some Pereskiopsis? I ordered four cuttings, and they sent six, rolled up in some newspaper and stuffed into a bubble-pak envelope. Judging by how pale and dehydrated everyone was, I'd say they'd been cut quite a while ago and left out for far too long. They've only had a couple of days in the cactus hospital but most seem to be recuperating nicely. I'll convince the more reluctant ones to come back to life soon enough.

A lot of people who grow cactus seems to become obsessed about it. I'm hoping I can just dip my toes in the water a bit for the fun of it. :grin:

How is growing going? I ordered a bunch of seeds and waiting impatiently for them to arrive

Offlinehalf.fast
but not too slow, either
I'm a teapot

Re: Jumping head first into the cactus world [Re: SnowFat]
    #27621332 - 01/16/22 04:07 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I planted 20 seeds, 10 each of the T. Bridgesii PAL x LumberJack and Nitrogen TPC x KT-Ogun, each seed in its own 2" pot. Got 100% germination on the Lumberjack, 70% on the KT-Ogun. They were planted on 11.14.21 so they're two months old now and are about a quarter inch tall, and the two varieties are very different. The KT-Ogun seem more robust and are maturing quicker. Here are a couple of pictures:

This is one of the KT-Ogun seedlings. These guys are taking on more of an adult cactus color than the LumberJacks. The tops of these guys are also a bit lumpy, which is fun.

This is the most interesting Lumberjack seedling since it's a conjoined twin: one root, two tops. I'm wondering if they'll play well together when they get older.

OfflineDiospyros
Male
Loc: РLΛИΞΤ ΣΔЯТН
    #27621930 - 01/17/22 05:33 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Good work brother :thumbup:

OfflineChromosome
Male

Re: Jumping head first into the cactus world [Re: Diospyros]
    #27622471 - 01/17/22 01:34 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

They look beautiful~!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies