Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineSingularFusion
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Screwed up Agar. Nothing is growing on it. [Re: O0ZE]
    #27612274 - 01/08/22 10:18 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

there is no harm except to consider that many mushrooms absorb these metals (why they use them to remediate natural areas). Aluminium is not good to get inside your body, it's well known to cause myriad problems...

So yeah you could surely observe but I don't think I'd wanna make a habit of eating fruit that came out of an alu tub

all the best on your agar work

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineO0ZE
Ascended Drone for the hive
Male User Gallery

Loc: Getting Toasted in the sun
Re: Screwed up Agar. Nothing is growing on it. [Re: SingularFusion]
    #27612885 - 01/09/22 12:19 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineO0ZE
Male User Gallery

Re: Screwed up Agar. Nothing is growing on it. [Re: O0ZE]
    #27618751 - 01/14/22 03:34 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I'm moving on and now I have a question! Well! I inoculated about 5 dishes and chose what I thought was the strongest. might I need to make a totally new post to get some assistance!!!

my choice for the strongest dish was based on what I thought to be the strongest grower. didn't base my choice on research. this mycelia was grown on nutrient poor agar, but seemed to be the most aggressive grower-looked to have the most mass. I've moved that mycelia to nutrient rich agar and labeled the dishes "1." I'm ignoring the other dishes with mycelia and not inoculating anymore dishes until I see what happens with the newly inoculated dishes. I'm not sure if I'm proceeding correctly. i need help from here.

I'm really just looking for high fruit yields. Selecting for strength interests me. that seems like it would be difficult and require me to consume the fruits and note the results. from their I'd just place the choice fruit on some agar and go.

secondary goal is to make some good prints. please link a good tinfoil folding technique

InvisibleMysticMycologist
Dirt Sherpa
Male

Loc: seeking samadhi
Re: Screwed up Agar. Nothing is growing on it. [Re: O0ZE] * 1
    #27619205 - 01/14/22 09:59 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

It is hard to tell what growth on a plate will fruit the best. You’ll have to fruit it to know. It is common though to select for the fastest, healthiest looking mycelium though, so your doing right. When I take transfers from germ plates, I usually take several to see how they grow out after transfers. The most important thing to select for is cleanliness, IMO, since even slow, tomentose growth may end up as your best producer.

--------------------
Two eyes to look, One eye to see.
Prying open my third eye

OfflineO0ZE
Male User Gallery

Re: Screwed up Agar. Nothing is growing on it. [Re: MysticMycologist]
    #27619252 - 01/14/22 11:07 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

ok. I'm not certain I catch what your throwing about cleanliness. you mean aseptic? as in no contaminants? I'm pretty sure I have none actually. wouldn't contaminants be distinguishable from the mycelia?

OfflineAnkhseramun
Wanderer
Other

Loc: Cantina, Mos Eisley, Tatooine
    #27619329 - 01/15/22 01:32 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

With cleanliness he meant contams, you're spot on. I think at least :grin:.
Basically the reason #1 for agar and transfers is getting your myc cleaned from bacteria and/or mould.
So instead of going by the strongest looking myc (as said, you can't really tell until you fruit it) you should instead take the cleanest plate and start transferring from it.
Your tomentose myc should start getting rhizomorphic, but it is not 100% certain. A tomentose myc can be very good too.

As long as you take your transfers from a clean spot on your plate (keep in mind if your plate has bacterial blobs or other contams you shouldn't toss it right away, take transfers from the opposing side of your contam and you'll get your myc clean in 3-4 transfers) and preferably from the leading edge (that's where the growth should be the most aggressive).
This all doesn't mean you agar is toast, it will work too and you will be blown away by the results when you finally inoculate your jars with mycelium that was properly cleaned and transferred a few times. My last grow was from a plate that had mostly rhizomorphic mycelium, transferred 3 times, and the jars took only 3 weeks to fully colonize (1 week consolidation is in there too lol), no contams all went really smooth. Got me about 35g of dried Cambodians out of 1 myco quart of spawn in 1:2 ratio with coir (that may also be one of the reasons why the myc was so aggressive).

OfflineO0ZE
Male User Gallery

Re: Screwed up Agar. Nothing is growing on it. [Re: Ankhseramun]
    #27620438 - 01/15/22 11:29 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

yo!

ah there's that word-tomentose. now I member! yea, so no rhizomorphic mycelia. I remember that word now too. it's all coming back to me... not really. interesting about how when comparing rhizomorphic with Tomentose there's just no telling? is that right? is it unknown why mycelia decides to go rhizomorphic or stay tomentose? got to be environment related. I'll go no further into speculating because I'm ignorant to the whole subject. i focused in on your comment about growing after spawning jars! so you say a 1:2 ratio? as in 1 part spawn for every two parts coir? ok. I wonder if the dimensions of the spawn and coir block have anything to do with fruiting success.

example I could have a 1:2 ratio, but my tub could be deep and narrow, or i could have a 1:2 ratio and my tub could be spacious. what is the "block" of coir and spawn called? it forms a block after awhile-a spongy block. like a cake, but the word cake refers to something else in this hobby. Also, i'm going backwards here but what the hell; what's the very best  jar spawn for goldens?

I'd love to grow something else besides Goldens and B+. my cousin has penis envy. I hear those are powerful. I've not asked for a spore print from him. I should. how are those Cambodians after eating them? with what experience i have, shrooms are best micro dosed (not noticeable) or taken in legendary quantities (10g plus.) letting go is hard for me, so that's why i need more.

pardon if i'm using the wrong terms. please correct.

OfflineAnkhseramun
Wanderer
Other

Loc: Cantina, Mos Eisley, Tatooine
    #27620521 - 01/16/22 02:30 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

A tomentose mycelium is fluffy, looks kinda like cotton.
Rhizomorphic mycelium looks stringy and more solid I'd say. Much less to no fluff.
As to the differences in performance: People used to say that rhizomorphic mycelium performs better but it wasn't proven to be true 100% if I remember correctly. As already said, both tomentose and rhizomorphic mycelium can be incredibly performant and strong.
I for myself never bother to transfer until I have completely rhizomorphic grow, I hade great success with partially tomentose mycelium.
If you want to go all out and completely make isolates you'll have to transfer a lot and the chance to get fully rhizomorphic mycelium becomes higher.
It should have to do with the environment, but I didn't go that far yet as to have facts for you, sorry.

As for the spawn ration I used 1 part spawn to 2 parts pasteurized coir. I use SFF's Coir Tek . You can also use a 1:1 ratio or even go as far as 1:5 but the more spawn you use the faster it'll fully colonize and the contam won't have that much time to take a hold in your substrate.
A good segway to your next question: The spongy block of fully colonized coir-spawn mix is simply the substrate.

The Cambodians are really great. The jars I inoculated with mycelium water colonized completely in 2 weeks so after 3 weeks I could spawn them already! The fruits aren't really more potent than other "normal" cubes and for me they worked best if I either micro dose them (boost for the day without psychedelic effects) or if I ladder my heroic dose of 7g and above in 3-4 steps, refer to my post here for more detail.
What really surprised me though was the very pleasant stomach feeling after eating them. Normally I can't eat mushrooms as they are, I have to pulverize them not to get nausea but with the Cambodians I had no nausea at all and they even tasted pretty nice.

As for Penis Envy: I am waiting for some spores myself, am super stoked to give them a go as they are supposed to be quite challenging but it is well worth the hassle.

Last but not least best grain spawn for your mushies: Wild bird seed or just plain pop corn. I can't give you too much info here either as I only used brf cakes as spawn until now. A pressure cooker should be there in about two weeks. YAY!

Edited by Ankhseramun (01/16/22 02:31 AM)

OfflineO0ZE
Male User Gallery

Re: Screwed up Agar. Nothing is growing on it. [Re: Ankhseramun]
    #27627294 - 01/21/22 03:08 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

wheat berries, rye berries, oats, popcorn, brown rice flour... what's the most prevalent native consumable floras for golden teachers? I know the fungus is versatile, but I don't want it to have to tap into it's versatility, however.  I know that invasive species are able to dominate in new areas which they are not native to, so it could very well be that perhaps I do want my fungus to tap into it's versatility. I'm looking for high flush yields. on another board someone said that corn is a pain in the ass and it does not give big flushes. lol, I did just read though that goldens are gulf coast state and Latin America state natives. Aztecs liked eating maize which is wild corn right? probably an irrelevant rabbit's hole. I'm out on corn anyways.

I'm feeling like sorghum is a good pick but after reading and using this site rye, or wheat looks better: https://vegnt.com/compare/rye_flour_medium-vs-sorghum_grain.html. so it's settled; I'm going to use wheat or rye. but which one and most importantly why? also i may also use whatever i pick to feed local birds. my dog likes watching the birds. any harm in using a wheat and rye berry mix? rye berries are expensive on amazon aren't they.

OfflineO0ZE
Male User Gallery

New subject! [Re: O0ZE]
    #27628788 - 01/22/22 05:46 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I went with fresh rye berries. ATM I'm trying my hand at isolation for ryzomorphic/tomentose that's aggressive and thick, but to be honest I'm not experienced, so I'm just using my intuition based on sight. I think my substrate ratio will be 1:2 /1 spawn for every 2 coir. at some point I may decide I've gotten nowhere and that I'm wasting my time. then I'll just inoculate rye berry jars and proceed to fruiting in tubs full of substrate and spawn. I want to try isolation and then bringing separately isolated mycelia back together. I'm also curious as to what aging does to mycelia. thoughts?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds