Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinediabolicshroom
Stranger
My Compost Mix: Need Advice!
    #2758337 - 06/02/04 10:31 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Im going to be using:
1. Cow manure
2. Earthworm Castings
3. Wheat Straw

My first question is should I sterilize each one of those seperatly? Ie: Pasturize the straw first. Then mix the cow manure with earthworm casings(adding water to the mix) and then PC it. After this mix it with the wheat straw and pasturize again.

Or can I just mix it all together and pasturize it. Im extremly paranoid about contam because I have a bloodhound and it's one discusting dog. Always drooling and shit. And I live in NYC.

Also is it bad to pasturize two times? Because I want to pasturize the compost two times.

And last but not least is it a good idea mixing earthworm castings, cow manure, and wheat straw? Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: My Compost Mix: Need Advice! [Re: diabolicshroom]
    #2758534 - 06/02/04 11:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If it is done correctly pasteurization only needs to be done once.
Just mix your ingredients together with enough hydration so that you can grab a handfull and squeeze out a few drops of water. Then bring this to a core temp of 170degf for about two hrs in the oven and you should have no contam problems for about two weeks.

The myc should be colonized totally by then and resistant to contams on its own. I would recommend isolating the mix in a plastic bin or something just to be double safe from your hygenically challenged pooch though!

As far as your selection of ingredients... You should do fine as long as you keep the straw portion a little heavier than the other two. This will keep the mix nice and airy,which will help speed up colonization. Remember you only have two weeks,but that should be plenty of time. You also might want to pasteurize a little of the poo by itself so that you can put a layer on top of the mix. The poo is slightly less contam friendly than the straw so it will help you stay clean throughout the grow a little better.

Good Luck !
MYKEY

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Loc: The Carnival of Souls
Re: My Compost Mix: Need Advice! [Re: diabolicshroom]
    #2758578 - 06/02/04 11:16 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Every time I bring fresh bags of poo home, my rottweiler tries to dig into it then she rolls in it!

--------------------
I don't charge by the inch I charge by the foot, think I'm lying bitch here take a look...100% U.S.D.A grade A beef, heres my card call me.

Offlinediabolicshroom
Stranger
Re: My Compost Mix: Need Advice! [Re: HaveABeer420]
    #2758882 - 06/03/04 12:16 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

What do you think about the earthworm castings mix with cow manure?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation