Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
"A Light from God"
    #2757095 - 06/02/04 02:17 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

In the latest issue of Guideposts Magazine, an inspirational Christian monthly, a man idiotically drives his family across a bridge where a creek has risen five feet in a flood and is actually rushing over the road. The car stalls in the deep water and is washed off the bridge by a surge of water flipping the vehicle upside down and crashing it against a boulder.

The driver manages to pull himself free and floats to the surface, but his wife and child are still trapped in the back seat in an air pocket. He dives back in, but fears that the black water will make it impossible for him to even see the car, never mind extricate his family. He prays to God and as he approaches the vehicle he sees a hazy light coming from inside the car casting faint outlines. "That cannot be the dome light," he thinks, "as the entire roof is caved in."

He manages to save his family and gives thanks to God for the "mysterious" light.

Two Swami-esque questions come to mind.

1. How many of us would have used our God-given intelligence in the first place to avoid this potential tragedy and having to beg for cosmic aid?

2. God created the universe, galaxies, stars, supernovae, nebula and so forth, but his power has so waned from all that exertion, that the best The Supreme Being can come up with is 1/4 watt of murky light?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: "A Light from God" [Re: Swami]
    #2757128 - 06/02/04 02:25 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Just a couple quick points:

If the "entire roof is caved in" then how the hell does the driver get OUT of the car in the first place? Wouldn't those inside be injured, probably severely, if the "entire roof" was "caved in"? I've seen cars that have had their roofs caved in, and I've watched the rescue teams hack away at the metal as they work desparately to free the trapped (and severely injured) occupants of the vehicle.

I think I smell a little exageration on the author's part :smirk:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: "A Light from God" [Re: trendal]
    #2757163 - 06/02/04 02:34 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

There was a photo in the article and the roof was indeed flattened down almost level with the hood and trunk.

Course I would never have written an article admitting to pulling such a stupid stunt with my family in the car. $$$

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#2757173 - 06/02/04 02:37 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

$$$ Bingo :wink:

So did he explain how he managed to squeeze first himself, then his family out of the car which was submerged in flood water (probably moving quite swiftly)?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: "A Light from God" [Re: trendal]
    #2757184 - 06/02/04 02:40 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You'll have to read the exciting adventure yourself. :smile:

Here is flashback from January S&P along the same lines:

Frog: That's why I said it could be synchronicity, or luck, or whatever. But in my life, I do things like that all the time, and I always get my stuff back. I have locked my keys in my car or lost them so many times, but someone is always there to help, with no expense to me.

Swami: This reminds me of a time when my uncle was dying in upper Vermont in the wintertime and the whole family was gathering around him. My brother is a hard-core born-again Christian. He was driving five of us to my uncle's farmhouse at 5 AM. It was dark, cold and snowing hard. I warned him to slow down as we were approaching a tee in the road and he was a relatively inexperienced young driver. He ignored my advice and we slid off the road into a ditch. No one nor the car was hurt, but we were stuck there.

Mike says, "Don't worry, God will provide." A short time later a tractor happened to come by and pulled us out. Mike restates, "See? I told you God would provide." I retorted, "God provided me with a brain so as NOT to go off the road in the first place."

Sound familiar?

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#2757198 - 06/02/04 02:42 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quite, yes :wink:

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." -- A. Einstein

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity
    #2757628 - 06/02/04 04:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think it's possible for a short 'adrenaline like' increase of visual perception in a situation like that. Either that, or his subconscious calculated where the vehicle would be and conveyed this information to his conscious mind via the light. The subconscious mind is quite smart :smile:

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2757717 - 06/02/04 05:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

2. God created the universe, galaxies, stars, supernovae, nebula and so forth, but his power has so waned from all that exertion, that the best The Supreme Being can come up with is 1/4 watt of murky light?

The lord works in mysterious ways

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2757997 - 06/02/04 06:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

If you take aside the fact that you are just speculating what you are saying swami, if indeed a god also created the supernovae that means that we have no choice...

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2758655 - 06/02/04 09:30 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

um...dont' believe in everything you read?

um...there's a reason behind writing the article as you point out

couldn't it have been satan who saved his family??

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
Re: "A Light from God" [Re: kaiowas]
    #2762426 - 06/04/04 05:59 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yeh sounds more like satan's doing to me. Have you seen many movies? The bad guys are always dumb and crash their cars a lot. The bad guys must work for satan seeing as the good guys always have God on their side.

Sounds like Satan's style.
Satan can only manage a murky light (being the lord of darkness), and then (of course) a big $ payout for the story

as happened

If it were the almighty God's doing well it woulda been a much brighter light....brighter...brighter! Doves would have materialised and flown away to the sky, the heavenly host would have shown their 'faces' and issued a few tips. And then after all that no one would have believed the guy, he would have had to keep the knowledge as soul food

:jesus:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2762517 - 06/04/04 07:40 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Just because the roof is caved in there is no reason to believe the dome light wasn't working... just like a horn doesn't usually stop working after two cars slam into each other head-on. I have seen non-sealed flashlights work underwater, though they do eventually give out (batteries go dead quicker).

Now if the guy had gotten out and realized his family was trapped... then looked across the bridge to the other side and saw the car sitting there with a safe family in the back... then I would be inclined to believe the act of God bit.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: "A Light from God" [Re: Seuss]
    #2762934 - 06/04/04 10:52 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I have seen non-sealed flashlights work underwater

I've heard that cars which go into lakes/rivers continue to have power for 20-30 minutes after going under. I once saw a rescue diver on TV talking about how erie it is having to pull dead bodies from a car, under water, that still has the headlights on and the radio playing :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: "A Light from God" [Re: CJay]
    #2763793 - 06/04/04 02:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Satan can only manage a murky light (being the lord of darkness)

Lucifer is latin for "light-bringer".

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: "A Light from God" [Re: Seuss]
    #2763796 - 06/04/04 02:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Now if the guy had gotten out and realized his family was trapped... then looked across the bridge to the other side and saw the car sitting there with a safe family in the back... then I would be inclined to believe the act of God bit.

And if they were sitting in brand new Lexus instead of a beat-up old T-Bird...

--------------------

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
    #2764257 - 06/04/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Well, before he got turned into a bull.
Lucifer fell from grace, quite dramatically.
And God kept the monopoly on the light bringing.
...or so the story seems to go

I do take your point, but I was only having a laugh

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom