Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Moisture Maintinance Additives In Casings
    #2757714 - 06/02/04 07:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Has anyone ever used watering crystals to enhance the water absorbtion and release capability of your casing mixture?

Polyacrylamide copolymer is one that you can pick up at Wallyworld and seems to work very well for a friend of mine.

He soaks the crystals in water/h2o2 solution for a few days and mixes it into his coir and it works great. You just have to make sure the crystals are nice and hydrated or else when you mix them in they will suck all the moisture out of your casing layer with a quickness. They work by swelling to capacity with water and slowly releasing it as the surrounding substrate drops to a level that it needs hydration. Seems to work well for mushies because the crystals actually help to prevent an overwet situation that is more likely to breed contams.

By the way ,this stuff is totally non-toxic and isnt going to kill you or anything. I was just curious if anyone has tried using it and what they thought about their results.

MYKEY :jamming:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBLuEFroG
Friend of Many

Loc: Eastern Coast
Re: Moisture Maintinance Additives In Casings [Re: Mykey]
    #2757795 - 06/02/04 07:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

hmm It might work great but if they are crystals they are made out of a chemical and are you sure you want to be eating that? I mean sure it sounds like a great Idea but see if they the crystals are poisonus first...

--------------------

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Moisture Maintinance Additives In Casings [Re: BLuEFroG]
    #2757939 - 06/02/04 08:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The crystals are just a simple copolymer construction and are,without a doubt,totally benign. They are probably used in the cultivation of many of the vegetables that we buy at the supermarket.
It makes a very clear statement of non-toxicity on the label and says it is safe for use in all plants.

Besides using them in the casing layer,one can also make good use of the fact that they absorb many times their weight in water by adding a layer to the bottom of a casing to assure that the substrate is constantly at a maximum hydration level without being too wet. That is the real advantage here because if it gets to wet due to high humidiy or overmisting these little gelatin-like crystals will simply wick up the extra moisture and prevent a contam pond. They are very unlikely to promote contamination because they contain no nutritive substances whatsoever.

Anyone who has used the moisture control soil from Miracle Grow has used these little miracle sponges without knowing it. I doubt most people know that they are available all by themselves and you can figure out your own custom mix.

MYKEY

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation