Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineiseegreenandpurple
troubadour
Loc: stumptown, OR
advice for first-time grower
    #2755857 - 06/02/04 06:04 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hello everyone,

I began my first grow attempt a little over three weeks ago using the brf tech. I decided to start out with 6 jars just to be safe and now 5 of them to be growing at a pretty steady rate. My first question is about the one jar that still shows no signs of mycelium growth even after 3 weeks. 4 jars began showing signs of growth about 1 week after innoculation. because the other 2 didn't seem to be growing i decided to reinnoculate them with my remaining spores to give them another chance. it has been about a week since the re-innoculation and one of the jars is finally showing signs of mycelium growth, although it's growth is nowhere near the other 4 jars. So my quesion really is whether it would be better to leave the one jar that has no signs of growth alone and just be patient, or should I remove from the incubator and the other jars and just give up on the jar at this point? I just want to be careful and not let anything spread to the other jars if there is any contamination.
My other question is about what to do with the jars when they are fully colonized. At first I thought I would just do all of them as cakes, but the more i read the more i become interested in trying to case one or a few cakes. Is it to big of a risk for a newbie? I was thinking of maybe casing 2 jars in 2 separate aluminum or tubberware pans and doing the remaining ones simply as cakes. If anyone of you experts out there would offer me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Basically I'm just wondering how many i should case and how many i should leave cakes, or if i should just do all of them as cakes and just not risk it. Please reply. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLoki
fluid druid
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: advice for first-time grower [Re: iseegreenandpurple]
    #2755878 - 06/02/04 06:33 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I would wait for the jar to colonise, doesnt seem like it
needs to be seperated, so just await its colonisation, and fruit it
later than the otheres.

Casing isnt a big risk, if you have 4 jars, 2 for a casing, 2 as cakes.
That way you get a feel of both ways to grow.

Offlineiseegreenandpurple
troubadour
Loc: stumptown, OR
Re: advice for first-time grower [Re: Loki]
    #2755884 - 06/02/04 06:39 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the unput. That seems like a good idea to go half and half. one more thing i forgot to mention was that i am using malabar strain, and i have read that for some reason malabar are much easier to deal and seem to grow better as cakes. what about the dunk and roll tech? or should i just case using something like jiffy mix or 50/50 verm/coir? also, would it be better to use two cakes together as a single casing or do them separtely.thanks.

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: advice for first-time grower [Re: iseegreenandpurple]
    #2756794 - 06/02/04 03:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If you are going to go with cakes I would suggest the dunk and roll every time. You will get a much better yield using this method rather than just double end casing or even worse the naked cake method.

Good Luck!
MYKEY

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation