Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

grrr this is stupid
    #2755821 - 06/02/04 03:16 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

someone just got thru telling me that anything that grows off of wood is poisonous, just like wood alcohol. just thought it was funny and id post it, i tried to argue it but i didnt win

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: grrr this is stupid [Re: JoeyBond]
    #2755846 - 06/02/04 03:51 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Console yourself in the realization of their ignorance.

Certainly there are a lot of poisonous mushrooms that grow from wood (Galerina autumnalis is the most obvious example), but the majority of fatal mushroom poisonings (more than 95%) come from Amanitas. Amanitas grow on the ground, not from wood.

Oyster mushrooms, one of the most cultivated mushrooms in the world, grow from wood, as do Shiitake (Lentinus edodes). Lots of choice edible mushrooms grow from wood.

The only way to be safe in eating wild mushrooms is to identify them correctly. Anything short of that is potentially risking your life.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: grrr this is stupid [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2755851 - 06/02/04 03:57 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

well i meant from dead wood, i did scoff at them, i know im a newbie but ive been reading all of these posts, and ive gotten 5 books from the library, ive already identified 4 of my own thru these books and using my head, 1 of them you all helped me on,

question how did i become a journey man? is that good?

i really want to build up a reputation here as a very interested member to this site!
hope im doing better since ive recieved my flak for asking to much

adios

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: grrr this is stupid [Re: JoeyBond]
    #2755920 - 06/02/04 05:25 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

When we refer to mushrooms growing from wood, it almost always refers to dead wood. Not very many mushrooms are parasitic, and not very many edibles. A prominent exception is the Honey Mushrooms that make up the genus Armillaria. Not even all of those are parasitic, and even the ones that can be parasitic aren't always.

The "journeyman" designation just refers to how many posts you've made. If you want to make up a custom one, change the "Title" in your profile.

The Hunting forum is one that is relatively intolerant of ignorant newbies. If you read a bunch of the threads, you're likely to find most newbie questions answered. Of course, the FAQ and the sticky threads try to answer most of the newbie questions, also. Making a genuine effort to improve your knowledge is encouraged, and we also expect everyone to try to find out on their own some. We get a lot of newbies who seem to want to just make threads and ask whatever questions pop into their heads without trying to find the answer for themselves. The effort of finding the answer will give dividends as you learn where and how to find the answers.

Posting threads with good descriptions of mushrooms you've found (with good photos if possible) will bring up a reputation (especially in this forum) in a hurry. If you don't have all the information (like spore print color, for example), wait the extra couple hours until you do before posting, so you can post a complete description. Make an effort to guess what they are, and remember to start at genus - don't try to guess the species right off the bat. Finally, don't overuse photographs in books or on the Internet for identification. While photos are a great tool, you need to know exactly what to look for in the photo and on the mushrooms. Newbies matching photos to mushrooms is one of the most common sources of misidentification, and of poisonings.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: grrr this is stupid [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2756656 - 06/02/04 12:07 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i noticed that a few of these new posts were of newbies just trying to get a quick answer around reading the faq's. i feel bad thou cause i get easily confused. and i did that threading thingy:S

cool talkin to ya. thanks for all the hinters

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom