Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblevieper
vieper

help identifying please
    #2755724 - 06/02/04 04:00 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I originally thought these were boletus edulis but am sure they aren't but have no really leads to what they are. I know they are boletus. Thats about it. Here are a few pics

any thought would be appreciated. Thank you

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: help identifying please [Re: vieper]
    #2755810 - 06/02/04 04:59 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

What exactly has led you to conclude that they aren't Boletus edulis? Those photos look pretty close to the boletes (some of them, at least) I find here in Colorado.

There is a pretty fair amount of variability in B. edulis. Enough so that Dr Dennis Desjardin has a graduate student who is studying the DNA of lots of specimens identified as that species to see if they aren't actually several species. I strongly suspect that she'll find that they really are several species - something I'm sure she suspects (along with Dr Desjardin) or the study probably wouldn't be happening.

The first thing to check is to scratch the tube surface and see if it bruises bluish or greenish. In particular, note if there is a color change within 30 seconds.

The next thing to note is if there is fine, white reticulation near the top of the stem. I think you know what that is, but I will explain just in case (and for others reading this thread who might want to learn). Reticulation here refers to a pattern of tiny ridges that resemble a net (Latin reticulum = net) on the surface of the stem. It helps to illuminate the stem so that the light strikes it from the side, throwing the ridges (if there are any) into relief. In B. edulis there is typically reticulation over roughly the top third of the stem. In B. edulis the reticulation should be white or nearly so (in some Tylopilus species that are very similar looking the reticulation would be dark colored).

The other main feature is the cap color, and yours definitely match B. edulis.

I've skipped the bits that would get us to the genus Boletus. The biggest would be the spore print color (an olive brown). But I agree that those certainly look like they belong in the genus Boletus.

I still haven't gotten myself a copy of North American Boletes by Bessette, et. al.. If you suspect that you've gotten something that's a bit off from the usual bolete finds, that's currently the closest thing there is out there to a monograph on the various boletes in North America. It even includes several species that have not been published elsewhere.

Happy mushrooming!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification