Home | Community | Message Board

HighDesertSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCthulu
Stranger
 User Gallery
Looks like bacteria to me, but I'd love to be told otherwise...
    #27557053 - 11/25/21 04:12 AM (3 days, 8 hours ago)

So, I was really looking forward to adding my first rye spawn bag (Rusty White) to coir/verm substrate in a few days, but I've just spent 30 min looking at pictures of bacterial contamination on this forum & sadly my bag looks like a contender.

I inoculated 2 bags of rye spawn with a spore syringe (I clearly hadn't done my homework). One was obviously contaminated, but untill 30 min ago, I thought the other was good.

I've really struggled getting this particular spore syringe to grow on agar, lots of pretty little glistening bacteria, but am finally getting somewhere (and have just poured some MEA gentimicin plates - yay for antibiotics), but I'd prefer not to toss this bag in the compost if there's any hope of somehow fruiting from it...

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineMastershakes
He's Tryinggggg

Loc: Off Grid
Re: Looks like bacteria to me, but I'd love to be told otherwise... [Re: Cthulu]
    #27557075 - 11/25/21 04:52 AM (3 days, 7 hours ago)

Not experienced enough to say bacterial (but by the sounds of it yea it's bacteria and god knows what else in the syringe).  People will say try to top fruit it (cannot say myself).

If you are having agar issues try this Josex's Poke No mercy for bacteria:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24806569#24806569

InvisibleAssyrian
Stranger
Re: Looks like bacteria to me, but I'd love to be told otherwise... [Re: Cthulu]
    #27557076 - 11/25/21 04:53 AM (3 days, 7 hours ago)

Yeah looks like bacteria. Better to use clean cultures to inoculate grains rather than spores.

Please leave antibiotics out of media (agar included), it's far too easy to fuel some form of antibiotic resistance and that would make bacteria even more dangerous to keep around and dispose.

InvisibleRevemu
Male

#27557077 - 11/25/21 04:56 AM (3 days, 7 hours ago)

Hey there,

First of all yes that is bacterial. Even tho u can try to spawn it u might get a flush and some fruits that you can print and toss it on agar. I suggest forget using syringes and work with a print instead, it's much more forgiving since u don't pump excess water on agar surface.

Others might say just throw it out, but if u can't see any mold well why not spawn it? Well it still could be moldy inside or after u spawn but honestly u will never know until u open it. I think it does not look like that bad, I've seen much worse spawn.

Oh and a last thought on anti-bacterial agar: I tried it when I had problems but it only suppressed the growth of bacteria and it didn't really killed it, because it got back on me after spawning. So just spawn that bag get some fruits and take a print and then you can start cleaning on agar. Hope I helped and feel free to ask questions.

OfflineCthulu
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Looks like bacteria to me, but I'd love to be told otherwise... [Re: Revemu]
    #27557085 - 11/25/21 05:27 AM (3 days, 7 hours ago)

Thanks very much for the feedback. I appreciate it. I guess I'll try mixing to bulk anyway. This is a huge learning curve for me. I'm only using gentamicin agar for the initial transfers, then they'll be plated out on to MEA plates. I hope suppression will help. And I truly appreciate the caution re antibiotic resistance, I'll be judicious. Cheers.

InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

#27557208 - 11/25/21 08:49 AM (3 days, 3 hours ago)

I wouldn´t mix it to bulk mate.
Mycelium has to recolonize and is already weakened by bacteria.
In that time frame other competitors will be faster.
As Mastershakes said i´d also fruit it in the bag :wink:

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder