Home | Community | Message Board

Myco.ca - Spores & Cultivation Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSpooff
Stranger
 User Gallery

Jars in boiling water
    #27557047 - 11/25/21 04:04 AM (3 days, 7 hours ago)

So Ive tried looking for this using the search function, but I cant find an answer to this specific question. But Ive got everything I need to start a BRF cake grow. The only thing is I live alone and only cook for one, sometimes two, so all of my cooking pots are small.

And everytime I read about sterilizing or sanitizing in a PC or pot, it always tells you to place something on the bottom to keep the jars elevated. My question is, is this because you just want to keep it off the bottom of the pot itself and the direct heat, or do you want to keep it out of the water itself?

I have some spore prints I made recently, but I dont trust their cleanliness. I know spores are always dirty, but i think these are dirtier than most. I will harvest again in another day or two and want to take some slightly more trustworthy prints.

I want to take them in a jar, keeping the cap elevated off the foil. And I want to boil sanitize the jar and plastic pieces I will use to hold up the cap. But seeing as the pots I have are small, I dont know if I can do this correctly.

Can you just place a jar in a pot, fill it with some water and boil it?

I mean I think its okay to do it with an empty jar for spore prints, but more importantly, could I do the same process with the jars actually full of BRF and verm? Or would this somehow negatively impact the sub by actually resting in the boiling water itself?

If the problem is more so the jars being in contact with the bottom of the pot itself than in the boiling water, I could rest something in the bottom, lifting the jars slightly, but no more than an inch at the most. Maybe a little less.

--------------------
WARNING

**************** I AM NOT A TRUSTED SOURCE OF INFO. ANYTHING I SAY HAS THE POTENTIAL OF BEING 100% WRONG ***************

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineMastershakes
He's Tryinggggg

Loc: Off Grid
Re: Jars in boiling water [Re: Spooff]
    #27557079 - 11/25/21 05:00 AM (3 days, 7 hours ago)

Glass in direct contact with the hot metal could cause it to break or crack. Most types of glass don't like extremes to happen quickly (burning hot bottom on steel and boiling water).

Just take bits of tinfoil balled/rolled up as spacers under the jars. Or buy a cooking rack and bend it to fit inside the pots.

explained well here: https://www.mushroomvideos.com/

*this next bit is more conjecture*
The one thing would be to keep them elevated above the water so the steam is what does the cooking.  In a PC i think this is a non issue (the entire inside is up to temp), but you will get a hotter cook on your BRF cakes if they are bathed in steam.

Edited by Mastershakes (11/25/21 05:01 AM)

Offlineethyr
wholp
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Jars in boiling water [Re: Mastershakes]
    #27557120 - 11/25/21 06:39 AM (3 days, 5 hours ago)

I was wondering something similar and found that the reason you want it out of the water is that steam transfers heat a lot better than boiling water. Sterilizing is getting the temperatures in the jar up high enough to kill the contams, so heat transfer is important. This is just a random guess, but as long as the majority of surface area on jars are not submerged it won't matter. If you want to be sure, you can also increase the amount of time it's in there.

Offlinealaskappalachian
peakbagger

Loc: The 49th Dimension
Re: Jars in boiling water [Re: ethyr]
    #27557135 - 11/25/21 06:59 AM (3 days, 5 hours ago)

The sole reason you elevate the jars above the water level is so they're not inundated with water which would both fuck over the water content and turn them into a bacterial breeding ground -  and compromise the dry verm barrier (creating a pathway of ideal motility for contaminants).  Steam does the sterilization.  Reading any of the teks in the stickies will provide this info.  There is no wheel to reinvent here. :oldman:

--------------------
It is all one vast awakened thing. I call it the golden eternity. It is perfect.
                                -Kerouac

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder