Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebent
bent1

Loc: ny
Mexicana Strain A Scelortia Cloning Question.
    #2753035 - 06/01/04 02:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

If one were to obtain a syringe of Mexicana A, what would be the best way of maximizing that syringe for bulk scerlortia. I should wait for a jar to colonize completely and than use it grain 2 grain just like I would a cubie? is it that simple?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mexicana Strain A Scelortia Cloning Question. [Re: bent]
    #2753206 - 06/01/04 03:34 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Start on agar, use the first c to innoculate a good 5-10 plates and make an isolate. Im sure you can G2G it just like cubes.

Anonymous

#2754059 - 06/01/04 07:24 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

multispore a jar or ten or twenty. Clone a piece of sclerotia from the best jar. Either put the clone on agar, or use a piece of peroxidated sclerotia to inoculate a fresh jar or ten or twenty. Then use the colonized jars of cloned sclerotia for grass seed to grass seed transfers.

If you use the initial multispore jar to make transfers you will have inconsistent results compared to isolating a single piece of sclerotia from the jar, and using that to make new jars.

Offlinebent
bent1

Loc: ny
    #2755007 - 06/02/04 12:12 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

what i would also like to know is, it takes 4 months to produce the scelortia. would it be possible to make clones as soon as the jars were colonized, pre-scelortia. basicly when the jars hit 100% white, could i g2g them that way i wouldn't have to wait too long to clone.

Invisibletrade_om
An Old Omelette

#2756384 - 06/02/04 12:14 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Like the wise Teonan said, if you were to g2g something that is not a clone of sclerotia, but rather a multispore, you would get inconsistent results. You cant make the sclerotia form fsater with transfering it. There are ways to minimize the time you have to wait but they are not transfers. I think coffee extract could be used (like rogerrabit said, search for his thread), or maybe some other things. experiments must be done with coffee. I dont know what else could be used to minimize the time sclerotia will form, but i do know that mexicana doesnt take very long to form sclerotia. i think around 4 weeks after total colonization is when you start to see sclerotia.
Best course to take is to clone a good sclerotia and let it grow bulk. Maybe choose the fastest sclerotia to clone and then all your jars will be forming the sclerotia around the same time.

Anonymous

#2760370 - 06/03/04 12:36 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

With a clone being used as the inoculum, it can take as few as 8 weeks from inoculation of substrate to harvest sclerotia.

The long time is usually associated with multispore germinations directly onto substrate. With all the various strains going on in the jars, it takes time for you to get any serious yield. With clones, the entire jar is colonized by a known producer, and it all can happen very fast.

My clone starts producing at or sometimes even before total colonization( the rhizomorphs associated with sclerotia formation start forming). By two weeks from inoculation you see sclerotia forming along the rhizomorphs. By four weeks, there is alot of sclerotia formation. It just takes another four weeks for them all to fill out. You can leave them longer beyond the 8 weeks, but I didn't notice a severe increase in yield. Better to harvest at 8 weeks, and start again with fresh jars.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mexicana Strain A Scelortia Cloning Question. [Re: ]
    #2764433 - 06/04/04 10:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I placed one drop of solution from my syringe from workman on agar. This was then isolated into half a dozen substrains(sectors) One of these sectors began making sclerotia within a matter of days. This isolate was then used to inoculate jars. Sclerotia was forming even before full colonization. After ten days, the quart jar of rye grass seed was fully colonized and used to inoculate twenty more jars. Half rye berrries, and half rye grass seed. During the grain to grain transfer, a piece or two of the sclerotia was dumped out and injested. They were very small pieces,(less than one gram) but enough to produce slight but quite pleasant 'effects'.

One thing I've found is that rye berries produce sclerotia faster and bigger than rye grass seed. This was a surprise. Another thing I've found is the sclerotia produces faster when the jars are exposed to light from day one. Conventional wisdom says to incubate sclerotia producing species in the dark. I found this not to be true. I've also found this to be a very easy species to grow and fruit.

OfflineNoG
journeyman

Re: Mexicana Strain A Scelortia Cloning Question. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2765647 - 06/05/04 09:08 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i would imagine the light is telling the mycelium its time to fruit so the network starts storing the nutriants to support the mushrooms but cant and you end up with lots of sclerotia.

just my 2p :smile:

Later NoG

Anonymous

Re: Mexicana Strain A Scelortia Cloning Question. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2771273 - 06/07/04 12:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So you found rye berries(grain) perform better( dry weight yield).

I read somewhere that rice was the best substrate, but It looks difficult to formulate for agar transfers, better for liquid culture inoculation.

I can't remember if I even tried rye grain with the mex A? I think I went right to rye grass seed, and then tried a few other things, but probably never tried the grain?

Definetly going to have to try it.

I have recently discovered by accident, that re shaking the jars of multispore inoculations that are producing low amounts of sclerotia will really increase formation. I guess it redistributes the GOOD substrain throughout the jar. I had a jar that was not producing well at all, now prodcuing like crazy. It did nothing for two months, I broke up the mycelium and now it recolonized and is producing lots of sclerotia.

You also stated that light has increased yields?

What kind of yield do you get from a cup of substrate in a quart jar?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mexicana Strain A Scelortia Cloning Question. [Re: ]
    #2773870 - 06/08/04 04:19 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I found the rye berries work better quite by accident. Ditto for the light. It was a 400 MH on for some orchids in the same room. The jars that were shielded from the 400 produced less than half the sclerotia of the ones that got light. Next time I harvest some, I'll weigh it for ya. I don't use the scales much anymore. I just munch until I'm full...lol.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology