Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Safest country around?
    #2752409 - 06/01/04 08:12 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I live in America, but usually don't consider myself American. I am the first ( and only ) person in all my family to have been born outside of Poland.. I don't know if I'm going to stick around in America for too long - what do you all think of the current world situation? Am I getting paranoid over silly politics? I know that America is still a pretty good place to live - but it would cease being so if I were ever drafted, dying in a war I want no part of.

I see no clear alternatives.. I considered Canada for a while, but it really does seem economically doomed with its system in the long run. If I were to return to Poland, I would probably not be able to get a job, have to deal with the currently most corrupt European Union government and also have to deal with lots of random violence.

IS there any place in the world that has a good civil liberties policy and is fairly stable? Or would everyone have moved there already?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Loc: Land of the not-so-free
Re: Safest country around? [Re: vampirism]
    #2752421 - 06/01/04 08:18 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I suggest New Zealand.

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #2752431 - 06/01/04 08:23 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

If I were to return to Poland, I would probably not be able to get a job, have to deal with the currently most corrupt European Union government 

Surely, The French or even the Italian government is more corrupt :wink:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2752635 - 06/01/04 10:06 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I did a search for the city with the lowest violent crime rate in the world, and it turns out it's Amsterdam.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Safest country around? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2755601 - 06/02/04 01:08 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Amsterdam, eh? Interesting.

I know quite a lot of Dutch ex-pats living here, and we get a lot of Dutch tourists as well. It may be the case that Amsterdam has a low rate of violent crime, but the comment I hear over and over is that theft is very high indeed. Bicycle theft is a huge problem and has been for years. Pickpocketing is another, break and enter is rampant, mugging is on the increase.

Please note I haven't had time to research this online myself, but it is something I hear over and over again from every Dutch person I meet. I am just presuming they know more about it than I do.

pinky

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Safest country around? [Re: Phred]
    #2756004 - 06/02/04 07:26 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Northern Europe has a very low violent crime rate. I could be mistaken,but I think Norway or Finland has the lowest homocide rate in the world per capita.

Isn't mugging violent crime? Our are we just talking about homocide,assault,etc...?

I think the Netherlands would be a great place to live. Low crime rate,high standard of living,relatively friendly people,neutral in world affairs (practically legal marijuana doesn't hurt either).

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Edited by monoamine (06/02/04 07:30 AM)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #2756063 - 06/02/04 08:08 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

There was a significant rise of crime in my country when we exchanged communism for capitalism, so I assume that low crime rates are related to high social standards. Countires from northern Europe are known for their high level of public services, low crime rates and high taxes.

So... what is better?
- high taxes that are used for public services like education, welfare, etc.
- high taxes that are used for police, army and to keep a part of population in prisons

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Safest country around? [Re: monoamine]
    #2756283 - 06/02/04 09:38 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

According to my in-laws (they just spent a month with us) the crime rates are rising in the Netherlands. The biggest problems (as groups) are the Moroccans, Yugoslavs and the Russian mafia.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Safest country around? [Re: zeronio]
    #2756639 - 06/02/04 12:02 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zeronio said:
So... what is better?
- high taxes that are used for public services like education, welfare, etc.
- high taxes that are used for police, army and to keep a part of population in prisons

None of the above

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Safest country around? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2761971 - 06/03/04 11:27 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
I did a search for the city with the lowest violent crime rate in the world, and it turns out it's Amsterdam.

Someone tried to mug me in amsterdam. He was an idiot as I am 220 pounds and bench over 300. He had no weapon. Needless to say he got no money. I have never had anyone try to mug me in the states, but if they did my H&K USP would ensure that they also got no money.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals