Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCyonic
Stranger
 User Gallery

Please Help I'd these boletes
    #27509663 - 10/18/21 11:28 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Hello fellow mushroom people🙂

I'm wondering about these boletes. I see them pretty frequently, but never gather them. I usually pick the king boletes/porccini which are usually pretty obvious.

I haven't found any king boletes in a while. We haven't had many shrooms pop due to drought, but this season we've gotten a couple of good rains in. I found some oysters and these guys so I thought I'd ask if anyone can ID them and knows if they're edible or worth cooking up.

Found in a diverse woodland in a small group , not a cluster but not far from eachother.

Conifers like Douglas fir, hemlock, pine and cedar, hard woods such as oaks, madrone tanoak, and maple all growing intermingled.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesfepa
Stranger

Loc: Europe
Re: Please Help I'd these boletes [Re: Cyonic]
    #27509674 - 10/18/21 11:49 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I would say that this is one of the Xerocomus species. But I can't be sure. The phenotype varies greatly depending on the location.

OfflineCyonic
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Please Help I'd these boletes [Re: sfepa]
    #27509681 - 10/19/21 12:02 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

sfepa said:
I would say that this is one of the Xerocomus species. But I can't be sure. The phenotype varies greatly depending on the location.

These were found on the California-Oregon border region Klamath river watershed if that helps.

I'll look up the species you mentioned. Thanks.

OfflineCyonic
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27509683 - 10/19/21 12:08 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not so sure that's it. These don't stain any color. This is why I like the king. They are very easy to distinguish from other species.

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Please Help I'd these boletes [Re: Cyonic] * 1
    #27509687 - 10/19/21 12:25 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Is the cap sticky, and is there a complete lack of reticulations on the stem?
More detailed pictures and information would help. In situ shots always preferred.

Leaning towards Suillus, maybe something like S. brevipes.
Someone with better local knowledge of your area should give you some clue.

OfflineCyonic
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Please Help I'd these boletes [Re: Anglerfish]
    #27510071 - 10/19/21 10:59 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

The cap is not sticky, and there is no visible reticulation

InvisibleKevs0923
Stranger

#27510106 - 10/19/21 11:26 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I would grab a spore print, doing so will rule out species it’s not. Also when cutting the cap off you will see if any staining is present. Try scraping different parts of mushroom ( stem,pores,base of stem) as some species stain in other areas of fruiting body. It also helps to have more than one source of literature for identifying as each are can have variables , not only in climate, but in actual species as well. A bit lanky in the stem for S.brevipes and should be really slimy on the cap , however if your spore print is brown your on the right track for suillus. I’m in Shasta County and have collected fungi here for around 34 years and in my area at the 4-5000 foot level they can be prolific some years. Take lots of notes when your out collecting on habitat, including elevation, type of trees associated with, average temperature, and any other species growing nearby. It all helps in the end with identifying. Good luck and keep hunting!!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures