Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLeafRaker
nomad
 User Gallery

Re: East Coast Laughing Gymn Season 2021 [Re: Unknownfungi]
    #27503070 - 10/13/21 01:58 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Unknownfungi said:
Quote:

LeafRaker said:
Quote:

Soundofjoy said:
Definitely the best option in the northeast. I've found them much stronger than reported, especially if fresh.

I wonder if "stronger than reported, especially if fresh" is indicative of high ratio of psilocin:psilocybin??? People almost never talk about dried gyms and I wonder if some of us have found them weak because we've mis-handled them and missed out on much of the psilocin.

I don't know if you saw this but I tested the strength of Gymnopilus Luteus that I found in NY. Testing resulted in roughly 0.6% psilocybin content. I've read many stories about loss of potency when dried. Now drying method sure plays somewhat of a role but I don't believe it's a loss in psilocybin potency if stored correctly but loss of other unknown "active(s)". Atleast that is my opinion.

Psilocybin test results
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27495046

Interesting. I haven't found any luteus so I was actually thinking of subspectabilis and speciosissimus. Perhaps they vary greatly? I remember reading that cubensis is weirdly high in psilocin for Pscilocybes and that cyanescens were weirdly high in psilocin for Panaeolus, especially compared to cinctulus.

This reminds me I need to put *my kits* to use!

--------------------
Knowledge is finite, ignorance is infinite.

I aim to be the devil in the details:

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineXXfuzyxgamingXX
Bog Walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: In The Woods
Re: East Coast Laughing Gymn Season 2021 [Re: LeafRaker]
    #27503163 - 10/13/21 03:09 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Is the general rule of thumb that if a gymn does not smell sweet, than it is not luteus, but subspectabilis? I found a patch of what appears to be G. Luteus, however it simply does not have the sweet smell that all other g luteus has.
I've found G. Speciosissimus and it looked completely different, but this would be my first time finding g. Subspectabilis.
Are subspectabilis and luteus pretty much identical?

--------------------

OfflineMoria841
Male User Gallery

Loc: NJ Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: East Coast Laughing Gymn Season 2021 [Re: XXfuzyxgamingXX]
    #27503225 - 10/13/21 04:11 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

No, the general rule is growth pattern and habitat, they grow in different locations

--------------------

OfflineXXfuzyxgamingXX
Bog Walker
Male User Gallery

Re: East Coast Laughing Gymn Season 2021 [Re: Moria841]
    #27503316 - 10/13/21 05:41 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Moria841 said:
No, the general rule is growth pattern and habitat, they grow in different locations

What would cause the smell to variate, then? I've never come across g. Luteus that didn't smell unique.  I think these were actually growing from pine- alongside galerina and hypholoma. I'll upload better photos in a couple hours.

--------------------

Invisiblegman
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/NJ
Re: East Coast Laughing Gymn Season 2021 [Re: the man]
    #27503347 - 10/13/21 06:05 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Some youngsters

G

OfflineXXfuzyxgamingXX
Bog Walker
Male User Gallery

Re: East Coast Laughing Gymn Season 2021 [Re: gman]
    #27503788 - 10/14/21 03:50 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

This was a very fruitful patch with varying morphology, from the archetypal large fruits to very small examples. Cap shape on some of them was especially bell-like which was cool to see. I believe the substrate is Hemlock pine, unusual for gymns, which was very diverse with many other fungi growing alongside. Galerina and hypholoma were fruiting alongside, as well as some Armillaria and a stinkhorn.
I didn't smell the typical sweet odor of luteus when they were observed, however, after sitting in a container, the smell accumulated and is positive for G. Luteus. Very cool finds today. 😎

Autumn colors:

Galerina and a small Gymnopilus growing in close proximity on the same log:

--------------------

OfflineMalachite
Novice?
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #27503924 - 10/14/21 09:26 AM (1 month, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Now drying method sure plays somewhat of a role but I don't believe it's a loss in psilocybin potency if stored correctly but loss of other unknown "active(s)". Atleast that is my opinion.

You mean gymnopilin? It's supposed to be similar to kavalactones, no? I wonder how stable that is.

Edited by Malachite (10/14/21 09:27 AM)

InvisibleLeafRaker
nomad
 User Gallery

Re: East Coast Laughing Gymn Season 2021 [Re: Malachite]
    #27503957 - 10/14/21 10:09 AM (1 month, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Malachite said:
Quote:

Now drying method sure plays somewhat of a role but I don't believe it's a loss in psilocybin potency if stored correctly but loss of other unknown "active(s)". Atleast that is my opinion.

You mean gymnopilin? It's supposed to be similar to kavalactones, no? I wonder how stable that is.

While there might be loss of gymnopilin or unknown actives, I thought many claimed that psilocin is almost always lost in a big way with drying. Hence the cube growers who favor freshies or the acidified tea tek.

--------------------
Knowledge is finite, ignorance is infinite.

I aim to be the devil in the details:

OfflineXXfuzyxgamingXX
Bog Walker
Male User Gallery

Re: East Coast Laughing Gymn Season 2021 [Re: LeafRaker] * 1
    #27507394 - 10/17/21 03:13 AM (1 month, 13 days ago)

Quote:

LeafRaker said:
Quote:

Malachite said:
Quote:

While there might be loss of gymnopilin or unknown actives, I thought many claimed that psilocin is almost always lost in a big way with drying. Hence the cube growers who favor freshies or the acidified tea tek.

The volatile terpenes responsible for the way G. Luteus smells do seem to evaporate in the drying process. Im sure there's a whole chemical cocktail which is lost in this way but I dont think any other active alkaloids are affected. Drying shrooms doesn't affect potency to an unreasonable degree, Gymnopilus are no different from psilocybe in this regard.

I wanted to share this as well, there are so many spores that they dried into chips, it really shows how orange they are.

Also, here's a prime specimen with blue aborts

--------------------

InvisibleUnknownfungi
Scavenger
I'm a teapot

#27509458 - 10/18/21 09:50 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Looks to be the last flush of the only luteofolius patch I know of. Some nice green staining on some of the caps. I found a large flush of something orange maybe Phioliota? but they were 20ft up in the trees. Tons of the suckers!

InvisiblerhizoRider
Mycorrhizally active

#27509650 - 10/19/21 12:49 AM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Your gyms are beauties :awedance: I’d guess your purple gyms grow often from cedar and are g. Brandeleii.      Fucking neat

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
    #27510537 - 10/19/21 08:38 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Quote:

XXfuzyxgamingXX said:
Quote:

LeafRaker said:
Quote:

Malachite said:
Quote:

The volatile terpenes responsible for the way G. Luteus smells do seem to evaporate in the drying process. Im sure there's a whole chemical cocktail which is lost in this way but I dont think any other active alkaloids are affected. Drying shrooms doesn't affect potency to an unreasonable degree, Gymnopilus are no different from psilocybe in this regard.

I wanted to share this as well, there are so many spores that they dried into chips, it really shows how orange they are.

Also, here's a prime specimen with blue aborts

I got a Mason jar full of the orange spores lol not sure what to do with them

InvisiblerhizoRider
Mycorrhizally active

Re: East Coast Laughing Gymn Season 2021 [Re: Shroomhunts]
    #27511876 - 10/21/21 12:28 AM (1 month, 9 days ago)

Scrape them into water bottle and add tiny drop of dish soap so spores don’t stick to surface tension , and go spread your spores around where u found orig finds:bigyesnod:

InvisibleUnknownfungi
Scavenger
I'm a teapot

Re: East Coast Laughing Gymn Season 2021 [Re: rhizoRider]
    #27512287 - 10/21/21 12:15 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Quote:

rhizoRider said:
Scrape them into water bottle and add tiny drop of dish soap so spores don’t stick to surface tension , and go spread your spores around where u found orig finds:bigyesnod:

This ^^^ You can wash wild gyms prior to drying. Put caps in a filled, clean water bottle and shake gently. Then spread the love around, dripping the mixture on suitable substrates. The spores won't have a high success rate so try spreading to as many different areas as possible.

Or clean them up on agar. I'd love to try that with wild Gym. luteus and luteofolius.  :rockon:

Offlineadnex
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27512929 - 10/21/21 11:10 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

deleted for stupidity

Edited by adnex (10/22/21 07:06 PM)

Offlineadnex
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: East Coast Laughing Gymn Season 2021 [Re: adnex]
    #27512952 - 10/21/21 11:44 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

More possible Luteus?
Came across these growing from the site of a ground up stump on a lawn. Bright orange cap, bright orange gills turning rusty on older specimens. Dry cap that when wet with finger was slippery, but not slimy. Cap and stem both bruised darker red/orange with damage, no greening present. No veil remnant observed. Spore print showed bright rusty yellow/orange on foil but appeared brownish orange on white paper. Taste was distinctively bitter. What confuses the issue is the lack of anise or fruity scent - odor best described as leathery. Unfortunately I caught these probably at the end of their season and the spot it only getting more dried and windburned, so pics of possible pins or aborts is unlikely.

OfflineOrange Joe
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: PA
    #27513160 - 10/22/21 05:56 AM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Possible Luteus. Has quite a smell, but not sure how to describe it.

InvisibleUnknownfungi
Scavenger
I'm a teapot

#27513514 - 10/22/21 01:46 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Quote:

adnex said:
What might these be... Found on a pile of mixed pine and oak woodchips, shaded suburban forest edge in upstate NY. Unfortunately, it has warmed up and gotten windy so they're a bit dried out. Yellow color, spore print rusty orange (I'll post pics later when more drop and are easily visible.) Gills bright yellow, becoming greenish with age. Cap stained green with damage, visible in pictures. Older specimens were various shades of reddish purple. Caps were not scaly in the manner of Luteofolius, and ranged in size from .5 to 1.5 inches. Stipes ranged from 1-2.5 inches. No notable scent. Taste was very bitter, astringent and persistent. https://https://

[image]
https://

I don't believe those are Gymnopilus but it is hard to tell with the pictures.

InvisibleUnknownfungi
Scavenger
I'm a teapot

#27513515 - 10/22/21 01:48 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Adnex it is possible your second post are Gyms but create a separate identification thread for an ID. I believe this gym thread was not made for identification but for showing off everyone's Gymnopilus finds after positive identification.

Offlineadnex
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27513737 - 10/22/21 04:25 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Guh

Edited by adnex (10/22/21 07:07 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies