Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Loc: God's Flat Green Earth
Nomad living * 1
    #27503575 - 10/13/21 07:46 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Aka living in your vehicle.

I have the opportunity to pursue this as an option to save money and beat the system. It seems like the best option for me financially. I have camping gear so I'm able to cook food and keep it cool as well as a place to shower for free. This will be very short term - about 6 months.

Does anyone do this or been in this situation? Got any tips on staying warm?

--------------------

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Revelation 3:11
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

Re: Nomad living [Re: Shiithead] * 2
    #27503582 - 10/13/21 07:54 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Seems like a pretty hard way to game the system. Much easier to work part time and pay rent for somewhere with more space.

Living in a vehicle isn't exactly my ideal roughing it situation, and the money you'd save might actually be a loss in the grand scheme when you add up lost time, convenience and stability that comes with having your own shower, fridge, oven, bed and accessible laundry facilities.

Not bagging on the idea though. But if the idea is to save money it's almost better to change what and how you work instead of drastically changing how you live.

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
Re: Nomad living [Re: Shiithead]
    #27503588 - 10/13/21 07:59 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Keeping warm in the winter sucks here in pa. Fire or propane heater is a must. In the end living nomadic or not your lifestyle will depend largely on how much money you have if you want the luxuries of modern society. I've thought of doing this type of thing but currently have too much holding me down, kids, career, house, etc. If I can stack some millions tho I'm definitely just gonna hit the road with my credit card in my pocket and live it up for awhile. If you are in a rough spot in your life I'd consider trying to make a career out of the travel, lots of companies will pay big money for someone without any ties, long haul trucking and the works can make you rich. As far as cheap access to amenities goes, get gym memberships at all the major chains so you have cheap access to showers and the exercise equipment can help too!

--------------------

You never kno

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Re: Nomad living [Re: Shroomhunts]
    #27503600 - 10/13/21 08:07 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I have free parking, showers, and a place to exercise. I'm only worried about staying warm and doing dishes. I'm already doing laundry elsewhere.

I'm not sure it's as much of an inconvenience compared to my living circumstances right now. Not sleeping in a bed is tough but I've slept on the ground so I think I can make it work.

I do have a propane heater but I'm worried about CO poisoning.

--------------------

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

InvisibleQM33
(NOT A PUPPET!) ❤❤❤❤❤
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #27503640 - 10/13/21 08:46 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Ya don't underestimate c02 poisoning. Ide say get some good jackets and blankets ha. Long John's and glove and scarfs and shits.

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
    #27503657 - 10/13/21 09:06 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Thats the part that makes it tough because you need some ventilation to keep the air safe but then you end up loosing all your heat. Before I had heat in my house I slept in negative 15 and I got to say it sucks balls heater or not. Not to mention could actually be dangerous where your extremities freeze while you are sleeping. Winter is not a good time to rough it. Hot hands in your socks and pockets can only go far. If you get a high quality sleeping bag like one of the artic rated ones you could probably get pretty cozy. If you just tring to get right then I'd recommend selling your soul and find a job that let's you work 80-90hrs a week so you can get some quick racks and minimize the time you are roughing it in nature. Many brands of propane heater for indoor use have automatic shutoff if the monoxide levels get to high but like I said before it only goes so far. Definitely don't want to be in a car in that kind of weather because when the outside of the car freezes its like being inside of a freezer literally and the lack of space makes it more uncomfortable. If you don't have to worry about others bothering you id conside a burn barrel under a large bridge so you can stay warm and dry, moisture is a big enemy especially if you start sweating from too many layers then it starts to freeze

--------------------

You never kno

Edited by Shroomhunts (10/13/21 09:08 PM)

InvisibleIchigo Kurosaki
Substitute Soul Reaper

Loc: Soul Society
Re: Nomad living [Re: Shroomhunts] * 1
    #27503749 - 10/13/21 11:43 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

https://www.youtube.com/c/CheapRVliving This channel\guy has absolutely every answer in video format on his channel. It's gonna be a cold winter. Most people who are serious about it chase warm weather. Doing this you can avoid using insulation. But if you opted to rough it in the cold you want to get a roll or two of the reflective bubble wrap insulation. Also get a Mr.buddy gas heater or similar. Some heater require an exhaust like the diesel ones especially. Another cool gadget that works when it's warm and sunny at least. Is a solar oven, it looks like a tube with reflectors on it, uses the sunlight Obviously. You can bake breads, cook soups stews, idk about frying though. I guess you could shake it in the sun while its closed to move stuff without opening it. Or open and move stuff then close it fast. Anyways good luck with it man.

--------------------

InvisibleFiery
Sword of Fire
Other User Gallery

Re: Nomad living [Re: Shiithead] * 1
    #27503751 - 10/13/21 11:46 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Just accept suffering and the things you can and can not change.

If you're not ready for it, the trials could be deadly. It's "no joke" to be truly homeless and without a place to stay.

Offlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27503873 - 10/14/21 05:37 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I lived in my car for a while. I’d rate it 1 out of 2, es no bueno.

I had access to a shower and bathroom, luckily. And I managed to hold down a full time job. Pretty much everything about living in a car sucks, though. Try explaining to your employer that you don’t have an address, that was a demoralizing conversation. I ended up using my friends address because there’s no way to have a job without an address.

I had a small radiant propane heater. It worked great. I always kept a window cracked near my face, they do present a CO hazard. Especially so in small spaces. It however easily made the car fairly warm, even in pretty cold weather. The radiant type heaters will also heat everything that it “shines” on. It’s a weird heat, but you can get decent runtime on a 1lb bottle if you are careful with it.

All of that said, I don’t recommend living in your car. You’re better off finding some roommates and just reducing your living expenses. That’s what I did when I moved out of my car and it was well worth it.

--------------------
Enjoy the process of your search without succumbing to the pressure of the result.

A Dorito is pizza, change my mind.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

I’m sorry it had to be me.

OfflineSporeJunkie
Pöåšt Šhïttēr
Male User Gallery

Loc: TheOnlyTenISee
Re: Nomad living [Re: christopera]
    #27505567 - 10/15/21 02:43 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Couldn’t you get an adapter, I can’t remember what they’re actually called right now I’m drunk, that you can plug a small heater into like a 110 outlet? I lived with a friend for a while in a trailer with shiiiiiittty ass insulation so I’m the winter we’d just keep our doors closed and plug up a personal heater. My parents had mine for years before then and it couldn’t have been more than 20$ brand new. It kept that room toasty as fuck though. I’d use it in a car for sure.

--------------------
Royale with cheese

InvisibleFiery
Sword of Fire
Other User Gallery

Re: Nomad living [Re: SporeJunkie]
    #27505583 - 10/15/21 03:03 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Dude it's like 5PM how are you already drunk.

YOU SLACKER!

InvisibleQM33
(NOT A PUPPET!) ❤❤❤❤❤

Loc: Oregon
Re: Nomad living [Re: Fiery]
    #27505591 - 10/15/21 03:13 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Bro its like 2pm... how drunk are you?!?

:eatsmoke:

InvisibleFiery
Sword of Fire
Other User Gallery

Re: Nomad living [Re: QM33]
    #27505663 - 10/15/21 04:20 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

broa like woa...

time

:mindblown:

Offlineviraldrome
 User Gallery

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: Nomad living [Re: Fiery] * 2
    #27505694 - 10/15/21 04:43 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I watch a lot of Van life videos and lots of people swear by diesel heaters

It can be mounted so the combustion is happening outside the vechicle. Those propane heaters you have to crack a window or have a fan blowing out. Make sure to get a carbon monixide detector no matter what. Also you lose a lot of heat out of the windows, look into making (or buying) some insulated window covers

--------------------
Lysergamides I have tried so far: 1P-LSD, 1cP-LSD, ALD-52, AL-LAD, LSZ, ETH-LAD, MIPLA, EIPLA, 1cP-AL-LAD

InvisibleFiery
Sword of Fire
Other User Gallery

Re: Nomad living [Re: viraldrome]
    #27505707 - 10/15/21 04:49 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

totally awesome post and suggestions!

If you're looking for a way to stick the window coverings on just use some magnets! Cheap and easy way to stick them up and take down is easy peasy.

Love the nomad life boys

InvisibleThe Blind Ass
Bodhi

Loc: The Primordial Mind
Re: Nomad living [Re: Fiery]
    #27505791 - 10/15/21 05:53 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Has the van-boat-submarine-plane-house hybrid been attempted at any point throughout history yet?

--------------------
Give me Liberty caps -or- give me Death caps

InvisibleFiery
Sword of Fire
Other User Gallery

Re: Nomad living [Re: The Blind Ass]
    #27505795 - 10/15/21 05:57 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

No but I have seen some van-boats, and plane-boats, and submarine-boats...

But never a van boat plane submarine

Good question though:ohwow:

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Re: Nomad living [Re: SporeJunkie]
    #27505817 - 10/15/21 06:16 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

It's called an inverter box. You still need to run your car or else the battery will die. You might as well just use the cars heater at that point.

--------------------

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

#27505840 - 10/15/21 06:26 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: Nomad living [Re: Shiithead] * 4
    #27505879 - 10/15/21 07:11 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

As others have mentioned, get a carbon monoxide alarm if you're going to be living in a vehicle, especially if you plan on cooking or using a heater.

I've spent the better part of the last decade living out of a backpack and travelling around - from my perspective, moving into a vehicle is a step up. I've been living in a cabin in the Yukon while I wait out this pandemic, and using the time to get my drivers license and an empty cargo van. I'm excited that I'll be able to bring my cast iron pan, collection of books, splitting maul, and harmonica amp with me when I leave.

It's certainly doable. I know people that live in vehicles during winter, even up in the Yukon, although you probably won't have to go to those extremes (I know one buddy surrounded their van with hay bales for insulation their first winter up north.

The three most relevant questions would be: what type of environment? What type of vehicle? What type of budget?

The first step is insulation. A combination of foam board + spray foam for your permanent panels. Foil-faced bubble wrap for temporarily covering your windows (velcro or magnetic attachments). Don't skimp on the insulation - if you have a limited budget, focus on this. If you have good insulation and blankets, ime you'll be fine going all the way down to -25c without a heater. Properly insulated, body heat + residual engine heat should be enough.

If you wanna be extra cosy, your heater options are electric, propane, gas/diesel, and wood. Here's a brief positive/negative of each option:

Electric: inexpensive, easy to use, no exhaust; but huuuge power draw.
Propane: inexpensive, easy to use; but high condensation, ventilation required.
Wood: inexpensive to operate, produces dry heat; but initial installation expense, significant fire + CO hazard if not used correctly.
Gas/diesel: inexpensive to operate, low condensation; but high initial installation expense, small power draw.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom