Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleeric_the_redS
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: happy land
encyclopaedia of fungi - gerrit j. keizer
    #2750463 - 05/31/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

does anybody have this book?

i bought it on saturday and have found that pages 243-248 have been torn out. i was wondering what i am missing.

--------------------
Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblehevvy_psi
groover

Re: encyclopaedia of fungi - gerrit j. keizer [Re: eric_the_red]
    #2750470 - 05/31/04 05:55 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

is it in alphabetical order?

sounds like a good investment...

--------------------
egocentrism is bangin on the door
self-destructive selflessness
seeps out from the core
alone - eyes closed - an empty room
i'm curled on the floor
choose nothing, thus deciding
all the nothing i've in store.

Invisibleeric_the_redS
Trans-male User Gallery

Re: encyclopaedia of fungi - gerrit j. keizer [Re: hevvy_psi]
    #2750476 - 05/31/04 05:57 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

no, it's not in alphabetic order.
yes, it is a good investment, especially for $6.50 (brand new, minus a few pages).

--------------------

Invisiblehevvy_psi
groover

#2750478 - 05/31/04 05:58 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

wow. where??? did you buy it new? how long ago was it published?

--------------------
egocentrism is bangin on the door
self-destructive selflessness
seeps out from the core
alone - eyes closed - an empty room
i'm curled on the floor
choose nothing, thus deciding
all the nothing i've in store.

Invisibleeric_the_redS
Trans-male User Gallery

Re: encyclopaedia of fungi - gerrit j. keizer [Re: hevvy_psi]
    #2750494 - 05/31/04 06:05 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

yes, i bought it new for 17.50 at a local bookstore.
then, i found that pages had been torn out, so i took it back to return it. the store owner asked if i'd give 6.50 for it, so i said yes and kept the book.
published in 1997.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2750547 - 05/31/04 06:19 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Look in the books index to see what falls befor those pages, during those pages and after those pages and then you can nail it down to specific idea.

mjshroomer

Thaats a bummer. Over the years people have excised dozens of photographs form the university ofWashington's library and may journal articl cles.

Someone even ripped off the pictures with a razor blade of my Hawaiian shroom paper in the journal of ethno pharmacology in the Chemistry library here at the U.

Luckilly I had one master copy of the original reprints form the journal to give them to repair the book. A shroomerite brought thatt to my attention.

WEnt to look something up in the journal and saw my artickle. WEnt to read it and the photographs had been excised from it.

Mj..But check your index.

mj

I seem to recall it. Is it inwater colors or photos?

mj

Invisibleeric_the_redS
Trans-male User Gallery

Re: encyclopaedia of fungi - gerrit j. keizer [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2750745 - 05/31/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

the book is full of very detailed, high-quality photos.

i found out which pages were missing. i decided to check out the book's psilocybe montana picture. nope not there. all the psilocybe pages have been cut out. :mad2:
it sucks even more because the book had some hypholoma, stropharia, and melanus listed as psilocybe mushrooms with the other names in parentheses. some idiot cut out all those as well and will be sorely disappointed if he/she ever finds any hypholoma capnoides and tries to trip off them.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2750805 - 05/31/04 07:38 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

P. montana is not a psychedelic shroom. There is a picture in Paul Stamets field guide.

Usually they have a short paragerah where they will mention two or three species, P. cubensis, P. semilanceata, and maybe the often misidentified Panaeollina foenisecii, also noting that the latter is mikldy hallucinogenic.

They avoid the controvery as do many field guides by straight mycologists and some cool ones also.

Gary Lincoff, a friend and editor of both the Audubon mushroom guide as well as the Simon and Schulster field guide. In the Audubon he had several Psiocybe species in the book. With several photographs of several U.S. species.

However, Simon and Schulster asked him not to use any in their shroom guide, only the names listed in a paragraph for one.

Also these same field guides usually have a chapters somewhere in the guides on mushroom poisoning. So they may briefly mention that certain shrooms produce chemical reactions in humans when consumed. and name three or p four species without giving any information about them.

Anyway most straight books avoid the subject.

Joseph Amiratti has two great shroom books published on the subject of poisonoous mushrooms of the PNW and Canada, and another similar book. They have an extensive section on Gyms, Psilocybes, etc, Panaeolus. With nice photos. Very expensive several hundred pages and large size.

mj

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

#2752216 - 06/01/04 05:26 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

At least you have the shroomery Ezza', where the pics and opinions are constantly updated/ reviewed... (soz mate, could'nae resist... bummin' about the missing pages, sounds like karma may get that guy though, in the form of stroph'... nothing too serious... lol)

--------------------
Peace, love and organic brown rice...

Invisiblekoraks
    #2753337 - 06/01/04 02:11 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

eric_the_red said:
does anybody have this book?

Yeah, I have it. As a matter of fact, I've had it since '97. It's a nifty little book that can really help you pick up the hobby, I think.

Quote:

i bought it on saturday and have found that pages 243-248 have been torn out. i was wondering what i am missing.

That plain sucks man. People shouldn't do that to books :frown:
I looked it up in the Dutch version. It appears the whole family of psilocybe is ripped out of your version. The species listed there are:
- Ps. Fascicularis(*) (Hypholoma Fascicularis)
- Ps. Sublateriata (Hypholoma Sublateritium)
- Ps. Capnoides (Hypholoma Capnoides)
- Ps. Elongata (Hypholoma Elongatipes)
- Ps. Aeruginosa (Stropharia Aeruginosa)
- Ps. Caerulea (Stropharia Cyanea)
- Ps. Aurantiaca (Stropharia Aurantiaca)
- Ps. Semiglobata (Stropharia Semiglobata)
- Ps. Squamosa (Strophiaria Squamosa)
- Ps. Semlicaneata
- Ps. Coprophila
- Ps. Montana
- Ps. Muscorum
- Ps. Caricicula (Melanotus Caricicola)
*This is actually a typo. It should have been Ps. Fasciculare (same gender as the genus), as a helpful Shroomery member pointed out.
Could be worse; information on that genus is not always correct; I found the Shroomery a much better source for this genus :laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag