Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemoana123
PLEASE HELP!
    #2748678 - 05/31/04 02:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

PLEASE PLEASE help...my dog just ate a WHOLE eighth of mushroomschocoltes..shes a doxen(spelling?)...is she going to die?...do shes just laying there..please answer asap!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: PLEASE HELP! [Re: moana123]
    #2748697 - 05/31/04 02:51 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hi,

She won't die. I've heard of dogs eating mushrooms before and they're none the worst for wear.

But she'll probably barf and shit alot, so be prepared for that.

If she's not okay by morning, (if it's night right now where you are) then I would take her to the vet just in case.

*me*

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #2748699 - 05/31/04 02:51 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

ahah wont die... Just worry about the chocolate.. How much does she weigh and how much cocolate?

How can u get a dog to barf??

Is it stick ur fingers down his her throat??

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: PLEASE HELP! [Re: Legoulash]
    #2748702 - 05/31/04 02:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

To induce vomiting in dog:

5 milliters of hydrogen peroxide

Got that from my book on animal first-aid

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #2748704 - 05/31/04 02:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quick Guide for Theobromine levels in different types of chocolate:
From The Merck Veterinary Manual, 8th ed

Unsweetened (Baker's) chocolate = 390-450 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate
Milk chocolate = 44-60 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate
Semi-sweet is a bit less than half of the Theobromine content as Baker's chocolate.
How much is too much?
The toxic dose of Theobromine (and caffeine) for pets is 100-200mg/kg. (1 kiliogram = 2.2 pounds). However, various reports by the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) have noted problems at doses much lower than this - i.e. 20mg/kg.

Translated to a "typical" scenario, and using the 20mg/kg as a measure of "problems can be seen at this level of ingestion", a 50 pound dog would have to consume 9 ounces (+/-) of milk chocolate to consume the 20mg/kg amount of Theobromine. Some dogs won't see problems at this rate. Some may.

This is a much more conservative toxic level calculation than the "standard" of 100-200mg/kg, but better safe than sorry. A dog sneaking a couple M&M's shouldn't have a problem, but it isn't a good habit to get into!

What are the signs of toxicity?
Signs are most commonly seen within 12 hours (or less) of chocolate ingestion.

Excitement / nervousness / trembling
Vomiting / diarrhea
Excessive thirst / sometimes excessive urination (at higher levels of Theobromine toxicity)
Muscle spasms
Seizures
Coma (rare
Death (rare) -- likely due to heart rhythm abnormalities.
How is chocolate toxicity treated?
If you suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate (more than the stray chocolate chip that fell on the floor), call your veterinarian for advice. The toxicity of Theobromine is dose dependent. This means that the size of your pet, the type of chocolate, and quantity of chocolate determine if or how toxic it is for your pet.

There is no specific antidote for Theobromine toxicity. Medical treatmentis supportive, and may include all or some of the following:

IV fluids - to prevent dehydration from vomiting, diarrhea, and /or increased urination, and to "flush" the Theobromine out of the system.
Emetics - medications that induce vomiting. Used when the ingestion of chocolate is within 4 hours. Up to 6-8 hours post chocolate ingestion may be effective.
Activated charcoal - for ingestion greater than 4 hours prior to treatment, or for patients that show continued signs of toxicity.
Anti-seizure medications - for patients having seizures and/or muscle tremors.
Cardiac medications - for patients exhibiting irregular heart rates or rhythms.

I quickly copy and pasted that for ya.. Good luck, But im sure she'll be fine.. When i was like 8 me and my buddy were munchin on chocolate chips in the basment, we left to go do somthin stupid.. When we got back the dog was having a seizure and it got took to the vet,  scared the shit out of us be he was fine :smile:.. If u go to the vet Just tell the em it was chocolate... mushies wont kill her..

Edited by Magic_rah (05/31/04 02:59 AM)

Offlinemoana123
    #2748725 - 05/31/04 03:03 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

shes a wenier dog...6 years old and weighs about 20 pounds and is rather old..she ate about 6-10 OZ of chocolate with a whole 1/8th of mushrooms...thanks for all your replies...im just really scared..i dont want her to die..shes being really aggresive..shes like my best friend..sounds stupid..but i love her very much..any other suggestions are greatly appericated...i had them put away..but she found them :/...

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#2748736 - 05/31/04 03:08 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If she's being aggressive, it's because she's confused and doesn't want to be bothered right now.  If I were you, I would keep her under a close eye but don't fuck around with her too much.  Let her be for now.  The last thing you need is a bite from your doggie.  :tongue:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2749214 - 05/31/04 07:59 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Shit I just deleted my comments.

It is not a responsible adult act to leave drugs out where children or animals can grab a hold of them.

If your dog was taken to a vet and they found out that he was inebriated on an illegal substance, well a vet is not like a hospital emergency room doctor who would not turn in someone od'ed on drugs to the police. However, a vet would turn in somerone who abuses animls and a dog who accidently ate as many cholcate shroom candies as you said did would invite a charge of cruelty to animals and be an abuse of the privelege of even owning a pet. That could have been your son or daughter or a neighbors kid, whether you have kids or not.
Where did you leave those candies out where a dog could get into them to begin with?

You know people have gone to jail for doing similar acts to animals with acid and children have gone to emergency rooms because of irresponsible parents who left their sheets of acid or tablets on tables in the homes.

And the man who fed his dog acid and when the dog would nbot stop barking he killed the dog, beat it to death and tossed it out the window hitting a car passing by. He got two years for feeding his dog LSD and then killing it.

Why would you leave that out and how would the dog be able to eat it where you left it out.

mj

Does not sound at all responsible to me.

mj

OfflineEuphoria
watch theweatherchange...

Re: PLEASE HELP! [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2749594 - 05/31/04 12:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I think she would prefer help right now rather than someone just coming down on her, MJ. I'm sure she feels bad enough without your responsibility rant.

I'm sure the dog will be alright, as others have said, keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if she doesn't improve.

Offlinecherokee
Bruce Springsteen
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
    #2749613 - 05/31/04 12:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

awesome post :smile:  I've always wondered what was so toxic about chocolate for dogs. 

and mj: shit happens

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#2749829 - 05/31/04 03:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

moana123,

What happened? Is your dog okay??

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: PLEASE HELP! [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2750872 - 05/31/04 10:05 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I agree that its good to not take chances with kids or animals around drugs.

But she probally lives on her own with her dog, and if say that dog didnt eat the buds off the table before, maybe she thought it wouldnt touch the chocalate.

Anyway, I remember my friends had a similar problem, and they brought the dog to the vet , told the guy the dog ate pot, (they thought) and before they knew it the vet was asking for 100$, and they said well... "you havent even done anything yet"

So he said get the fuck out you loser drugies etc etc.

Meanwhile this girl I know is in tears, cause she loves her dog!

Check out my avatar , I let that cat smell my drugs(mostly cannabis) all the time, she knows better and I am not a "BAD" person.

I really respect you MJ (ALOT :smile:) so dont assume that because I disagree here I have something against you, I feel like a nerd saying this , but I cant count how many times I have said....."hey man check out this guys site....its Mushroom Johns shroom site!, pretty cool guy huh :smile: "(info, pics, etc)

Not to mention bringing LIPA backl from Thailand!!! Thanks!!
my friends love you man :smile:

peace.

--------------------

Offlinemoana123
Re: PLEASE HELP! [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2756774 - 06/02/04 02:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

thanks everyone for there help...and MJ...they were put away in a box on a book shelf..my door is ALWAYS kept closed...while i was gone my friend stopped by and picked up some stuff he needed and accidentally left the door open..i didnt do this on purpose i would NEVER EVER dilibertly hurt my animals or any animal in general..it was all just an accident...and i TRIED to get help..i live in the sticks..the nearest animal hospital thats open 24 hours is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours away..i tried as you read above to call animal posion control but i needed a credit card and my family took my vehical because they went on vacation..they came back the next day and as soon as they drove in i drove out to take her to the hospital so please dont think i didnt try.. THE LAST THING i was worried about was me ME getting in trouble..i dont care about that...thats the least of my worries..but yes..i got her to the vet..she puked and got the runs..i stayed there with her all night..i just held her the whole time..she was really scared and looked around alot and she trembled a little.. but now shes fine running around ad playing with her toys..thanks once again to everyone that helped..and i WILL be more careful with such things in the future..

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience