Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebeginner
Stranger
mites on casing
    #2748546 - 05/31/04 01:44 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i found little bastards on my casing. im happy they didnt get on my large casing trays. i read that some mites are acually ok. but anyway i put the infested casings out in my abandoned truck,away from good ones. i guess wat my question is... i found a pestiside spray in walmart that is used in vegatable garden. will this work?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: mites on casing [Re: beginner]
    #2748582 - 05/31/04 01:52 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I really don't think I'd do that.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

#2748617 - 05/31/04 02:09 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'd take Magash's advice on this one. You don't want to put anything on your shrooms or substrate that you wouldn't want to put in your body. Google mite control, and I'm sure you'll find some nice alternative/natural methods for ridding these guys. I know when growing certain plants I've had might problems before and I took care of them with some water that had a small amount of tobacco soaking in it for a while.

InvisibleSpeeker

#2748731 - 05/31/04 03:07 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

PREVENTION OF MITES IN CULTURES
http://www.wfcc.info/tis/info1.html

Mushroom Integrated Pest Management Handbook
http://paipm.cas.psu.edu/pdf/mushroomIPMhandbook.pdf

Edited by Speeker (06/02/04 05:07 AM)

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
Re: mites on casing [Re: Magash]
    #2835477 - 06/28/04 04:53 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Would Diatomaceous Earth cut down on mite infestation? I know it kills all sorts of insects. Just a thought

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #2835512 - 06/28/04 05:19 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've noticed that when my casings begin to contam, I get gnats or fruit flies in my greenhouse.
I'm currently trying some fly paper. But I just came across THIS SITE , which has alot of information on small fly control and identification.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: mites on casing [Re: mycoguy]
    #2835560 - 06/28/04 06:18 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

That's funny you mention fly paper. I once saw a Phorid fly land on it and fly away. Although I caught a few, I gave up on that idea... Any insect infestation is controlled using the trash can tek here. Not only are flies contaminants in themselves, they spread contamination around as well. If a fly lands on a casing with the green meanies, it will transfer the spores to others when they land on them to feed or lay eggs. I imagine mites can carry spores as well...

When casings get old the smell of the dying mycelium will attract them (flies). It is usually not healthy casings that get hit, but older mature ones (these will harbor the most eggs). Watch how you dispose of your waste, seal up all containers with old casings or other mushroom by-products. Remove all waste from the house immediatly. I also recommend to everyone to use the trash can tek for any infected casing as it is almost certain they will cross-contaminate others. No reason to keep contaminated casings around, especially those with insect pests.

The safest way is to isolate and clean the main chamber (same as with any contaminant). Start over keeping the good casings in isolation. A massive outbreak of Phorid flies shut me down for a long time. The flies even infested the soil of my indoor potted flowers. It took a bunch of time and work to finally get them eliminated. I did not use pesticides of any kind. I employed the trash can tek, isolation, down time (serious cleaning), and in the case of the plants I simply let them dry out to the point of near-death and brought them back to life using a soap-water solution. Elimination of every source is key as one female is all it takes to infest your entire house. Once the source is eliminated I recommend at least a two week down time to insure they are gone. I was down for about 3 months in all, and I lost a bunch of work (the experiments I had going was the biggest hit). The only thing that remained was cultures and spores...

I have dealt with mites as well, with isolation and a full cleansing of the fruiting chamber utilizing the bleach bombing technique. They were easy in comparison to the flies. The use of pesticides is obviously a bad idea. Unless your the kind of person that would inhale the stuff to get a buzz (I.E. - STUPID), the use of a poisonous substance on your shrooms is a seriously bad idea. Not only could the mushrooms absorb these toxins (and possibly concentrate them), it could kill or stunt the mycelium as well. Even diatomaceous earth would probably be bad to ingest.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation