Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | Next > | Last >
InvisibleBaba Yaga
Fomo Kills The Cat

Loc: Try 'n' Error Boot Camp
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Youngshroomdude]
    #27482984 - 09/26/21 04:42 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Have you got a picture? Slimy is never a good sign, but there is still a chance that some mycelium can outgrow a bacterial contamination
if your transfer didn't get complete overrun by the slime. Always make a number of clones so chances of having success are higher.

Also dunking your sample in a bleach or H2O2 solution will get you better chances, read up on the net about tissue sample preparation for cloning,
it will mostly be about micro propagation of plants but the information does apply to our hobby as well.

I had quite some difficulties to get a turkey tail culture going by cloning wild fruits and I think I ended up using spores I collected
from wild fruits which wasn't easy either, had to try a few fruits in various stages of maturity before getting a usable print.

Also this will get more attention if you're starting your own post about this, best place would be the Gourmet and Medicinal Forum.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCapMeh
RX Jazzist
 User Gallery

Loc: The Holy Mountain
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Youngshroomdude]
    #27483888 - 09/27/21 01:04 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Nekonation said:
My only concern about FAE is the humidity getting too low for fruiting.

The balance is something you'll have to figure out regardless. Just do some fanning, and if it gets too dry do some misting.

Quote:

Youngshroomdude said:
This was a great help thank you! I have an agar plate that I put a piece of wild turkey tail on from the inside of the mushroom to avoid contamination.  And after two weeks I am starting to see a white slimy texture grow from it. Doesn’t match any of the contaminates posted above but it doesn’t really seem like mycelium. Can someone help me figure out if I have turkey tail growing or some weird contaminate?

Put "turkey tail agar" into the search bar and get an idea for what it's suppose to look like :shrug: Sounds like bacteria to me.

--------------------

OfflineKajunKrust
Stranger
 User Gallery
Overlay? [Re: Kizzle]
    #27483988 - 09/27/21 02:44 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Apologies if I am in the wrong spot. I am having trouble identifying the white stuff. I think it's overlay, which as I undertand is the beginning of trich. But it's been there for a 2-3 days and I don't see any green. It's also not spreading all that rapidly. These pictures were taken a day apart.There is also some on the other side of the tub.

Taken Today:

Taken Yesterday:

Edited by KajunKrust (09/27/21 02:46 PM)

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Overlay? [Re: KajunKrust]
    #27484029 - 09/27/21 03:18 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like it just wants some air honestly.

--------------------
* Smarts videos :teacher:
* :thumbup: Planet of the APES:thumbup:

I'm a fungal white supremacist.

Offlinemaurt
Stranger
Re: Overlay? [Re: Smartattack]
    #27484043 - 09/27/21 03:31 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

is this white fuzz bad?
did i wait to long to birth?

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Overlay? [Re: maurt]
    #27484044 - 09/27/21 03:32 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Those are mushrooms starving for air and space, so yes. Anytime now would be fine in that jars eyes.

:lolsy:

--------------------

OfflineKajunKrust
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27484050 - 09/27/21 03:39 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Oh really? That's a relief. I was going to introduce FC in a four days since I did S2B on 9/10. I might just up that to tomorrow then.

Offlinemaurt
Stranger
Re: Overlay? [Re: KajunKrust]
    #27484091 - 09/27/21 04:22 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

thanks ..i set them freee..

wasnt easy they wre packed in there tightly because of all the mushrooms that had grown.. first timer, i was hesitant to birth in fear of doing it too soon

appreiciate the input

Invisiblea regular
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
Re: Overlay? [Re: maurt]
    #27484513 - 09/27/21 10:21 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

is this healthy mycelium? The white parts are surrounded by a thicker layer of the agar. Its my first time doing agar

--------------------
"Forget it man and get with the countdown. Shake this square world and blast off for kicksville"

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Overlay? [Re: a regular]
    #27484523 - 09/27/21 10:26 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Afraid nobody can tell you with confidence using those pics at least. I'm confident saying there is myc on there at least. 🤷

--------------------

Invisiblea regular
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
    #27484713 - 09/28/21 04:44 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Smartattack said:
Afraid nobody can tell you with confidence using those pics at least. I'm confident saying there is myc on there at least. 🤷

ah good :smile:
so if im doing syringe to agar should i make the agars consistency more towards lc so the spores have an easier time colonizing the agar? It just seems to take so long for them to show any sign of growth. Right now I'm doing 10g agar/10g LME and filling the pyrex 500ml media storage bottle with 500ml of water

--------------------
"Forget it man and get with the countdown. Shake this square world and blast off for kicksville"

Offlineaurilien
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: a regular]
    #27485255 - 09/28/21 02:54 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

New cultivator here (this is my first comment). Wanted to share a pic of my contaminated PDA cups.

Following Bod's TEKs as closely as possible, this is my second attempt to inoculate agar with a MS syringe I purchased online. The first time, I just squirted a little into each cup and closed it up. Those were completely overtaken by contamination in a couple of days. This time, I used an improvised inoculation loop (Bod's). In my photo you can see contamination where I swiped the inoc loop. Clearly the MS syringe isn't going to work for me.

Even though it's a failure, I feel like it's still progress given that the contam is only in specific areas. I've already ordered a spore print.

3 contaminated PDA cups and the control cup showing no contam:

--------------------

Offlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger than fiction

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: aurilien]
    #27485871 - 09/29/21 12:13 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

You could still make it work by sterilizing a cup of brown rice, injecting into the center, then transferring grains of rice from any healthy growth regions you see. Josex wrote a longer post about this--search for "no mercy".

Offlinesmalltalk_canceled
Babnik
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: gone-pear-shaped]
    #27485944 - 09/29/21 02:52 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

And it may still be the syringe too. Those are notorious for being unclean.

Do agar work with a spore print, it's probably the best way to learn and create clean spawn at the same time.

--------------------
Willpower is the one true virtue

OfflineCapMeh
RX Jazzist
 User Gallery

Re: Overlay? [Re: a regular]
    #27486445 - 09/29/21 02:30 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

maurt said:
is this white fuzz bad?
did i wait to long to birth?

I would pick those bad boys and dunk/soak the cakes before putting them into the FC. If they're already in the FC then just let them do their thing, you can soak them after their next flush if you'd like.

Quote:

a regular said:
Quote:

Smartattack said:

ah good :smile:
so if im doing syringe to agar should i make the agars consistency more towards lc so the spores have an easier time colonizing the agar? It just seems to take so long for them to show any sign of growth. Right now I'm doing 10g agar/10g LME and filling the pyrex 500ml media storage bottle with 500ml of water

I've always kept my agar consistency the same regardless of spore, clone, transfer, etc. I think people use different consistencies for different desired outcomes, but regular agar works fine for spores :smile: one drop from the syringe is all ya need.

--------------------

Offlineswampdonk
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Kizzle]
    #27489642 - 10/02/21 07:58 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Can your cake still produce with the white overlay?

OfflineJelly794
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: swampdonk]
    #27497623 - 10/08/21 05:05 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Help!

What am I looking at?  At about 4 weeks this jar looked healthy.

Now…

OfflineS826
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Jelly794]
    #27497684 - 10/08/21 06:06 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Hi, new to the forum and am new to mushroom cultivation.  I have succesfully cultivated mushrooms from PF teks, but when I tried my bulk grow for the first time, everything looked fine until i started to see yellowish tint.  I havent seen any pictures that look like mine and so i wanted to see if you guys have seen this and if its contamination.  I also read it could be metabolites, but it seems really dark.  There is no weird smell and so thats throwing me off.

OfflineCapMeh
RX Jazzist
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: S826]
    #27497769 - 10/08/21 07:08 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Jelly794 said:
Help!

What am I looking at?  At about 4 weeks this jar looked healthy.

Now…

Definitely contaminated but I've never seen that before! Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Quote:

S826 said:
Hi, new to the forum and am new to mushroom cultivation.  I have succesfully cultivated mushrooms from PF teks, but when I tried my bulk grow for the first time, everything looked fine until i started to see yellowish tint.  I havent seen any pictures that look like mine and so i wanted to see if you guys have seen this and if its contamination.  I also read it could be metabolites, but it seems really dark.  There is no weird smell and so thats throwing me off.

IMO it looks to be dry. I would recommend misting a little bit. What strain of cubensis is that?

--------------------

OfflineS826
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: CapMeh]
    #27497841 - 10/08/21 07:58 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the quick response.  Its b+.  I have posted some closer pics of the yellow and white parts.  I let it dry out a little just in case it was some cobweb mold.

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck