Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineThe Mushie Man
HillybillyJackson
Male User Gallery

First monotub from scratch. Possible contam???
    #27482399 - 09/26/21 05:21 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Good day and thank you to all who have taken the time to begin to read this post, forgive any errors as I am relatively new to this hobby and this is my first post.:crazy2:

To begin with, a quick background story on our grow so far.

We have PES Amazonians that we started from culture syringe to rye grains that we had hydrated and pressure cooked. The quart sized jar had a modified lid with a syringe filter for GE and a self healing injection port for inoculation.
It took 26 days to fully colonize.

We spawned the colonized grain into cvg bulk substrate that we had pasteurized with an insulated bucket tek. The monotub took around 10 days to fully colonize. It is a modified monotub that has micropore tape over the holes drilled out of it for a bit of GE while it was still colonizing the bulk sub.

To initiate fruiting we are using the unmodified monotub fruiting method whereby we simply remove and invert the monotub lid to allow for FAE and we mist and fan 3-5 times a day using an ultrasonic mister and the tub lid.

I suspect that the bulk substrate was not fully colonized as I predicted when we initiated fruiting conditions as the tub has taken quite some time to start producing Hyphal knots/Primordia.

Now, at this point in time we have a fair few knots and such forming (still very slow) and suspect looking dark greyish/brownish spots happening in some places.
Also there is an odd yellowish spot, and a white spot that looks different to my mush myc.

This is the tub..

https://files.shroomery.org/files/21-38/264740814-IMG_20210926_110554_372.jpg]

https://files.shroomery.org/files/21-38/264740824-IMG_20210926_110601_861.jpg]

https://files.shroomery.org/files/21-38/264740833-IMG_20210926_110549_928.jpg]

We used some spare substrate /grain spawn mix to spawn a miniature tub. It looks like it has bruised in some places (possibly from getting too dry between misting?? )

https://files.shroomery.org/files/21-38/264753851-IMG_20210926_110558_102.jpg

Any responses/opinions would be greatly appreciated as we are concerned about the viability of the fruits that come from these tubs.

Thanks again in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleWyoMX
I'm a teapot

Loc: PNW
Re: First monotub from scratch. Possible contam??? [Re: The Mushie Man]
    #27482414 - 09/26/21 06:41 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

If fruits do come they will be fine unless they have actual mold or bacteria growing on them. You used 1 quart for a full size monotub? That is probably one culprit of how long it's taking. Most of us use 4 or 5 quarts for a mono tub that's 56-64 quart tub. Or 2 or 3 quarts for a mini monotub that's around 30 quart tub and then for shoebox sized tubs 6-15 quart we use one or two quarts. This can all be played with and isn't a hard and fast rule but lack of nutrition and inoculation points can contribute to how long its been colonizing.

Another thing I want to mention is that with unmodded tubs  you generally just flip the lid there's no need to fan. No need to fan any style tub really fae should be constant and passive. If it's getting too wet and you need more fae you can skew the lid a little bit so it gets more air. And the fanning/misting combo is pretty outdated. Only mist when your tub needs it definitely not needed to do 5 times a day. That was what was recommended the first time I grew pftek like 10 years ago haha.

All in all it looks OK so far to me. I'd keep an eye on that yellow spot I've had something similar pop up in one of my tubs and it still flushed out fine but I don't know if it'll affect subsequent flushes as I'm a one and done guy myself. That minitub looks to be in worse shape and the pics a little blurry but as long as it's actually blue not green it should be OK once you quit over misting. If it's green and starts spreading I would toss it out.

OfflineThe Mushie Man
HillybillyJackson
Male User Gallery

Re: First monotub from scratch. Possible contam??? [Re: WyoMX]
    #27482442 - 09/26/21 08:03 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Thank you WyoMX for your response. Much appreciated.

We will certainly take your advice and quit fanning and misting the tubs all day. We will leave the lids flipped and leave them alone unless they dry up.

I wanted to ask you to confirm if you think there will be adequate FAE provided using this method as the tubs are in a closet with closed doors?

Also I apologize for the unclear spawn ratio used, we are using a 13qt mini monotub type setup and used about 2/3 of the quart of colonized grain to spawn to about 1.3 quart of substrate.
The rest of the spawn in the quart jar was used to do grain transfer to 4x half quart jars of rye.

Do you think this ratio was adequate? (for the spawning to bulk) Maybe a little bit shy of spawn still?

Also, I have no experience with agar yet but I have placed an order for all the supplies I will need to start using agar and I'm quite keen to start experimenting.
Would you recommend that we do not take a spore print to attempt to do agar work with from this tub if we get fruits or could it be viable enough to try and clean up on agar?

Thanks again

Regards

Hillybillyjackson

Edited by The Mushie Man (09/26/21 08:14 AM)

InvisibleMissMyc
I'm a teapot User Gallery
Re: First monotub from scratch. Possible contam??? [Re: WyoMX]
    #27483448 - 09/27/21 09:10 AM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Sorry to hijack this thread...

I was wondering if one could use spores from a mushroom that has grown amongst contamination? Does contamination change the genetics of the mushrooms?

Thanks in advance.

--------------------

Suck my-celium.

xoxo
Miss Myc

Invisiblemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

Re: First monotub from scratch. Possible contam??? [Re: MissMyc]
    #27483644 - 09/27/21 11:58 AM (2 months, 3 days ago)

You can use them. Just clean the culture up on agar first.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale