Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Milk Thistle Extract

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offline5zCivic
Stranger
deathcap? handling worries
    #2748158 - 05/31/04 12:06 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

was wandering through the woods walking my dog, seeing what mushrooms grew in my area. My dog sniffed up on a particular mushroom which i plucked. It was covered in leaches. I tore it a little bit seeing what color it was bruising.. it stayed white. Well i discarded it and after about 5 minutes washed my hands off in a creek. The mushroom left these orange stains on my fingers like that of somebody who has smoked cigs for years. After getting home i washed my hands multiple times with antibacterial soap and then with rubbing alcohol.. a persistent sticky substance remained on the orange stains and took direct rubbing with a paper towel to remove (the stains faded tho). Afterwords i continued on with my day and ended up eating ~ 30 minutes later. Later that night i looked on shroomery and the mushroom i had handled looked like one of the poisonous amanitas so i ran out to a drugstore and took ~800mg of milk thistle (i remember reading it was used to help save the liver from amanita toxins).

Am i at risk for poisoning?.. should i be worried? I'm not dumb enough to eat anything i find in the woods but after realizing I may have been handling a death cap worrying if any trace amounts under my fingernails or that didnt get washed off may have gotten into my system..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: deathcap? handling worries [Re: 5zCivic]
    #2748188 - 05/31/04 12:14 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't worry, but it's good you realize the dangers.

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #2748444 - 05/31/04 01:19 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

That's strange that an Amanita would cause you to have an orange substance on your hands. Orange is not a color I'd typically associate with Amanitas.

As far as handling goes, you can't be poisoned from just handling mushrooms. To consume a leathal dose of amatoxins you'd need to eat a few grams of the deadly mushroom.

Handling mushrooms is not a dangerous practice. It's possible that you could have an alergic reaction to some mushrooms, but that doesn't make them poisonous.

The only mushroom I've been harmed by is Omphalotus illudens, a big bright orange mushroom that grows on wood. Upon handling the mushroom I got some of the mycelial "sweat" (an orange substance) on my hands and it burned like hell and caused red irritation of the skin. My girlfriend also experienced the same thing. According to ToxicMan, my girlfriend and I were the only people to report these symptoms from handling that particular mushroom. It was a very rare case from what I understand.

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: deathcap? handling worries [Re: Gumby]
    #2748575 - 05/31/04 01:51 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting. I wonder though if you picked a deadly mushroom, dicarded it, and then ate some food later without washing your hands~~~Could this result in a poisoning or death?

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: deathcap? handling worries [Re: Signo]
    #2748603 - 05/31/04 02:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I guess you didn't read my whole post.

Quote:

As far as handling goes, you can't be poisoned from just handling mushrooms. To consume a leathal dose of amatoxins you'd need to eat a few grams of the deadly mushroom.

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

#2748706 - 05/31/04 02:55 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Actually I did read your whole post. I was just wanting some clarification. Instead I got negativity and a rather pompous attitude. Thanks!

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: deathcap? handling worries [Re: Signo]
    #2748755 - 05/31/04 03:12 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

5zCivic - there are a few mushrooms that will ooze stuff that can stain the hands. You did right by washing it well with soap and water. I wouldn't be too concerned with being poisoned that way. There are no cases on record of people being poisoned like that.

Signo - I'm not aware of any actual poisonings that have occurred that way. The deadly amatoxins do not occur in sufficient concentration that you could pick up enough to be seriously poisoned that way. In any event, you should always wash your hands before handling or preparing food, whether you've been handling (poisonous) mushrooms or not.

A greater concern would be carrying a bunch of mushrooms of different kinds mixed together in a bag. The spores from the deadly Amanitas probably contain amatoxins also, and those will contaminate everything in the bag. You probably wouldn't get enough amatoxins to even develop symptoms, but do you really want to risk it? Amatoxin poisoning is really nasty.

Gumby has it absolutely correct. In order to be poisoned by mushrooms you need to ingest the mushrooms. There are weird cases where people have used novel means of ingestion like enemas or shooting up, but the same ideas hold. Any time you consider putting mushrooms into your mouth, you are taking the risk that they may be poisonous. If you're not absolutely 100% certain that what you're eating isn't poisonous, then you shouldn't eat it.

Incidentally, shooting up mushroom extracts is a really stupid idea. Your digestive system does all sorts of things to protect you from lots of toxins. When you shoot something up you're bypassing all that. The cases I'm aware of where somebody tried shooting up extracts from psilocybin containing mushrooms resulted in the people becoming very ill - they were fortunate they didn't die.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Re: deathcap? handling worries [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2749046 - 05/31/04 04:45 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Ah, thanks for the clarification ToxicMan! Your advice was extremely helpful. I can't believe people have "shot up" mushroom extracts. Seems a bit gnarly to me.

Peace.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2749167 - 05/31/04 07:04 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

IT is common sense to learn what not to pick or touch before learning the psychoactive or edible species.

When I go picking I always point out anything poisonous to people I am picking with

That is if there is sopmething posionous to point out to someone.

There are only about ten or twelve poisonous mushrooms one needs to learn about and then you eliminate 99% of the poisonous shrooms from being handling. Starting with do not pick or handle white spored mushrooms or orange-gilled colored shrooms and that way you eliminate most of the deadliest of the shrooms from being eaten or handled.
The genera Galerina has three deadly species and then there is Conocybe filaris. Those four shrooms have cinnamon-orange colored spores and gills. So avoid any of thenm with those colors. They all contain amaopxins related to the saem ones found in the deadly Amanita mushrooms.

Second are the three deadly Amanitra shrooms (the death cap, the destrooying angel, etc.

So do not handle white gilled shrooms with egg-sac volva like bottoms on them.

Two to three species of bluing boletus mushrooms. Boletus are distinguisable from most edibles and hallucinogenic shrooms by the fact that they have porous bottoms instead of gills. So they can be eliminated..

A few other minor poisonous shrooms can be id'ed in most shroom guides.

That means that people looking for magic shrooms have only the chocolate brown to purple brown spores for the Psilocybe shrooms (115) species world wide and/or the Panaeolus/Copelandia complex which has approximately 25 species between them. They have black spores.

Keep this information on the top of your what not to pick or handle or eat portion of your brain.

mj

Offline5zCivic
Stranger
Re: deathcap? handling worries [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2749491 - 05/31/04 11:37 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

So do not handle white gilled shrooms with egg-sac volva like bottoms on them

woops this had white gills and was growing around oak trees... and come to think of it the orange stuff might have been from the leeches.

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #2750152 - 05/31/04 05:59 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

What kind of leeches are you talking about? I always associated leeches with water. You don't mean slugs, do you?

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Loc: C A N A D A
    #2750414 - 05/31/04 07:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

if it was a amantia it can go through yoru skin. i was handling alot of fresh muscaria and got slightly buzzed.

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2750418 - 05/31/04 07:38 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Gotta be awary of them damned land leeches.

Blood suckers dey is!

Yikes One almost got me.

hehehehe. Good point Gumby Dude. I never heaerd of land leeches and I walk in some shitty buiffalo gassy swamp water when I am in the rice paddies. But so do the cattle tenders and the rice planters. Sinc e there is both wet d rivce cultivation as well as dry land cunlitivation.

mj

But Leeches. I think he ment slugs.

Hm! Knew a gril once that acted like a slug.

Always slow, never on l time, leaving trails and tracks. Hm!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: deathcap? handling worries [Re: the man]
    #2750764 - 05/31/04 09:18 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

That didn't have anything to do with the stuff you were smoking at the same time, did it? :smirk:

Last year I picked about 70 pounds of Amanita muscaria in a day (barehanded - no gloves) and had no symptoms whatsoever.

A quick check of my references confirms that there are no reliable cases on record of anybody being poisoned by merely handling mushrooms.

Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: deathcap? handling worries [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2750788 - 05/31/04 09:27 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I too have handled pounds of Amanita mushrooms before. No kigh from them whatsiever.

My concern in handling deadly Galerina's, Amanita's and/or Conocybe filaris is that it may be possible to accidently wipe toxins (or traces of toxins) into ones eyes if they become watery or blury while handling them and then you need to rub your eyes. Wiping ones nose, etc.

While I am aware that there is no published data to support my reasons, common sense tell me to avoide shrooms with white or cinnamon-orange spore colors.

Just plain common sense.

Remember many Europeans and Asians, from two opposite regions of the world away from us eat certain shrooms in their own counteries and then come here and eat what they think are the same shrooms and end up in the hospital.

This is common in the PNW. A few years ago several Vietnamese were posioned by deadly shrooms and I seem to recall that some of them died from eating some shrooms.

Just my thoughts.

have a shroomy day and be sure to have someone identify for you what you might want to eat or not eat.

mj

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Milk Thistle Extract

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification