Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineagentjrr
student
Loc: Mountain West
Hygrometer Question
    #2747141 - 05/30/04 04:49 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I recently bought a hygrometer/thermometer with Min/Max feature. However, it seems to go from somewhere around 80% to HI with no readings in between. The manual had no real information beyond where to put the batteries. It is the basic Accurite model from WalMart.

There is a fair amount of visible condensation on the walls with occasional drips. Humidification is perlite supplemented by misting. Yet the casings show no signs of pinning after 8 days. The strain is KS on popcorn cased in 60/40 with 2" substrate and 1/2" casing layer. It was birthed after 5 days with about 30% of the surface showing colonization after 3 patchings and has since colonized the surface to about 95%, temps are in the mid 70's with humidity on the hygrometer reading HI. Past casings of this type have pinned in 5 days with just guessing at the RH. The only thing different is no cold shock. Does anyone have any tips on how to determine if the humidity is off. That's the only I can think if that could be slowing these down. I had a fair amount of what looked like hyphal knots but when examined up close they appear to be growing together. My real concern is overlay. I would post pics but my camera is broken. Any thought would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: Hygrometer Question [Re: agentjrr]
    #2747177 - 05/30/04 05:00 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Should be fine even with the primordia growing together. I've never used a hygrometer once. I'd say give them another few days and see what happens and if not, go back to guesstimating your humidity if you were having better luck that way. Without that cold shock it might have lagged pinning time just a tad, but this is disputable. Some seem to favor cold shocking while others feel it doesn't change anything.

Offlinealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
Re: Hygrometer Question [Re: agentjrr]
    #2747751 - 05/30/04 09:49 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

ahh I have found patience is key keep the fanning up and you will most likely have them fruit two things happen though when your fruiting does not happen right away
1. trich if the RH is high, a little indirect sunlight helps to keep these nasties down and some peroxide in the water you are misting with if misting at all
2. overlay, could try scratching or a VERY light recase neither will perform like a good healthy casing but can help

Edited by alpiner (05/30/04 09:52 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation