Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleTawny

Re: Just started 5 reishi grows 😎 [Re: taku]
    #27464890 - 09/11/21 11:54 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

[post deleted by user]

Edited by Tawny (09/28/21 12:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJacubey
Wanna-be-cultivar
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Just started 5 reishi grows 😎 [Re: Tawny]
    #27469543 - 09/15/21 03:51 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I'm now in the process of performing a double extraction. Final yield after trimming the bad parts was 169 (nice) dry grams.

I first grounded the mushrooms coarsely in a coffee grinder, then boiled it all in 2L of water for 2 hours. Separated mushroom material from the water, reduced the water to 120ml

Then I put the mushroom matter in 3 separate 1 quart Mason jars with 95% alcohol.  This was placed in a hot water bath with loose lids for ~24 hours with shaking every few hours.

Now, I'm about to reduce the alcohol extraction (reducing about 3L down to 40ml) but I'm starting to see some precipitates (I think). From other threads I've read, I ought not to see much precipitating out of the alcohol but I think I am. 

I read about people reducing dual extractions to 1g/ml at alcohol concentrations of ~25%, which would seem to imply that alcohol can hold all of its extracted material up to 1g/0.25ml (ignoring water soluble compounds of course). So I'm really wondering what I'm seeing here.

Edited by Jacubey (09/15/21 03:53 PM)

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just started 5 reishi grows 😎 [Re: Jacubey]
    #27469602 - 09/15/21 04:54 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

How are you going about reducing the alcohol extraction down so far?

Just curious the process, you must remember pure alcohol is very hygroscopic (readily absorbing moisture from the air) so as you reduce, unless you're using serious equipment in a sealed environment, it's gonna keep absorbing more and more water (especially if it's a water bath you're reducing in). 

So maybe that has something to do with it, I dunno!

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineJacubey
Wanna-be-cultivar

Re: Just started 5 reishi grows 😎 [Re: Forrester]
    #27469615 - 09/15/21 05:07 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Very good point. I had not considered that... I have the equipment to do vaccum distillation, but don't really have the space to set it up right now.

I'll do a bioassay of the alcohol content once the reduction is done.  It's currently just sitting in a crockpot on low.

I'll keep the precipitates aside and try redissolving them in alcohol if it seems like it's stuff precipitating out of water.

Also I'm starting on lions mane next 😎

--------------------

Edited by Jacubey (09/15/21 05:17 PM)

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27469618 - 09/15/21 05:09 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

The precipitates also could just be insoluble fiber/matter that didn't filter out and maybe wasn't as noticeable before?

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineJacubey
Wanna-be-cultivar

Re: Just started 5 reishi grows 😎 [Re: Forrester]
    #27469628 - 09/15/21 05:19 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

That's very possible. When separating the mushroom matter I originally used a flour sack towel. I reran everything through a coffee filter (keeping the solids), and we'll see if anything else precipitates out.

--------------------

OfflineJacubey
Wanna-be-cultivar

#27470869 - 09/16/21 05:15 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Alright, these are definitely precipitates. I'm down to about 100ml of alcohol solution and there's precipitates all along the edges of the vessel, and a sludge at the bottom.

I assumed such a short alcohol extraction wouldn't be able to pull out so much, but maybe doing the water extraction first has led to extra stuff getting pulled out.

I'll try to separate the precipitates and redissolve them in some more 95% alcohol to eliminate the water absorption theory.

--------------------

OfflineJacubey
Wanna-be-cultivar

#27471063 - 09/16/21 08:37 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Pics of what I'm seeing:

Definitely precipitates:

Maybe precipitates, but also mushroom matter:

--------------------

OfflineJacubey
Wanna-be-cultivar

#27471650 - 09/17/21 11:34 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Dried it completely, gathered precipitates in a bowl, added more 95% alcohol. Success! Everything has dissolved over the last hour, and I don't see anything settling it out. I'll do a faster reduction this time and then mix it with my water extraction.

--------------------

Offlinedeadmandave
Slime
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #27471894 - 09/17/21 03:56 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Why did it precipitate do you think? Was it over saturated to begin with? I suck at chemistry so dumb it down if you can :lol:

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27471983 - 09/17/21 05:02 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Jacubey said:
Dried it completely, gathered precipitates in a bowl, added more 95% alcohol. Success! Everything has dissolved over the last hour, and I don't see anything settling it out. I'll do a faster reduction this time and then mix it with my water extraction.

Ooh, that's awesome.  If it's saturated you know there's no need to reduce any further, that's as strong as you can get :thumbup:

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineJacubey
Wanna-be-cultivar

Re: Just started 5 reishi grows 😎 [Re: deadmandave]
    #27473271 - 09/18/21 05:28 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

deadmandave said:
Why did it precipitate do you think? Was it over saturated to begin with? I suck at chemistry so dumb it down if you can :lol:

It's what Forrester was suspecting.

The alcohol reduction took about 48 hours. Over that whole time the alcohol was absorbing water. So by the time the reduction was finished, there was more water than alcohol in the solution. The precipitates are not soluble in water, so they fell out of the solution and settled at the bottom.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures