Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrBoom
BoomTripper

Using spent cakes for casing?
    #2747006 - 05/30/04 01:58 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Can anyone give me their thoughts on using cakes that have already had 3 to 4 flushes and crumbling them up and using them for casing. I was thinking of just adding a layer of nutritious substrate in with the crumbled up cake layer, not sure how effective this would be though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineempath
I feel you

Loc: Seattle
Re: Using spent cakes for casing? [Re: MrBoom]
    #2747028 - 05/30/04 02:04 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

the casing is suppose to be non nutritive. it is there to hold moisture in. I'm sure somebody has tried it, but verm/coir/peat is listed because it is tried and true. go with what is known to work.

--------------------
"It tastes like burning"-Ralph Wiggum

Edited by empath (05/30/04 02:06 PM)

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: Using spent cakes for casing? [Re: empath]
    #2747098 - 05/30/04 02:25 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I believe he was referring to using the spent substrate as spawn and adding it to new substrate and making a casing out of it. This could work but it will be quite slow as the mycelium has just done fruiting and will have to revert back to colonization.

Offlinefrock
    #2747108 - 05/30/04 02:29 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

This is what I did as an experiment recently.

Took some spent cakes - maybe 8 of them all 1/2 pints.

Used a clean knife and cut the cores out of the middle.

The reason I did this was to get rid of any contams that might be starting to form on the outside of the cake. I was left with these small octagon looking cakes.

I then put them all into a large ziplock and added a mixture of h20-h202. Just enough to turn my cakes into a slushy. Dont worry about hurting the mycelium it will come back very repidly. So mash that shit up! I then pasturized a small amount of "Alfalfa King" Oat,Wheat, and Barley hay that I bought from the pet store. They come in 1 pound bags.

Note: the purpose of this experiment was to see if hay from the petstore was a viable alternative to purchasing straw.

So I pasturized a small amount of the hay in my oven. Drained and let cool. I then mixed with spent cake slushy. Incubated for about 4 days, then cased.

The experiment worked out just fine, and I am now moving on to a bulk grow using the hay instead of trying to find straw.

Hope this helps.

Invisiblealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
    #2747786 - 05/30/04 08:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I can tell you one thing break up your old cakes put them outside mixed with some nice moist poo or hay or anything that wont attract mice squirels or other pests and in a couple months when it rains check on them
it works for a friend of mine so it just may work for you!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale