Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinejpchatx
Stranger
Delay between prepping oat spawn and sterilizing
    #27468507 - 09/14/21 06:22 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

This is probably a dumb question but want to verify and haven’t been able to find anything definitive in the threads I’ve scoured.

So I screwed up my planning and forgot to get some SFDs, but was planning to cook my oats tonight to prep 10 qt jars. SFDs should be here in a couple days hopefully, but I’m wondering if I should wait til they arrive so I can go straight to sterilizing after prepping.

I’m not worried about contams in the next two days since pc will obviously take care of that—what I’m more curious about is potential moisture loss in the grains with 2-3 days between prep and sterilization + agar inoculation. This is my first time using oats so don’t have a feel for them yet to be able to guess the right answer here. Current plan is to prep, seal the jars with unmodified lids until the filters arrive, then do the lid modification and sterilize. Think that’s fine?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Loc: the abyss
Re: Delay between prepping oat spawn and sterilizing [Re: jpchatx]
    #27468535 - 09/14/21 06:44 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

idk about a definitive answer

but id wait unless i had a good reason not to

sometimes i prep extra grain bags or jars and put them in the fridge overnight, but i do try to use them the next day or the next at the latest

and a few times ive even left hydrated boiled grain at room temp for up to 2 days before putting it in jars/bags. it actually worked great. i prefer my grain a fair amount drier than how many people prep it anyway (totally dry on outside, totally hydrated on inside)

so it might be fine but i wouldnt do any of that unless i had to

--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

OfflineHindsight
Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Delay between prepping oat spawn and sterilizing [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #27468570 - 09/14/21 07:14 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Your plan to seal them in jars will prevent the moisture loss, but I am not sure that it's a good idea to store them cooked for several days before PCing. There has been a lot of discussion here (BOD especially) about bacterial endospores in grain that aren't completely eradicated by the PC process. It's why a number of people prefer boil grain prep to 24 hour cold soaks. Not everyone agrees though. I try to prep and PC my grain on the same day. If you don't have SFDs yet, just go get some plastic lids and run them unmodified. They allow enough gas exchange for grain jars. I prefer SFDs myself, but the unmod lids do work.

OfflineInsultingLizard
Stranger

Re: Delay between prepping oat spawn and sterilizing [Re: Hindsight] * 1
    #27468609 - 09/14/21 07:56 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Endospores shouldn't be a problem. If anything, leaving the jars around for a couple days may allow them to germinate into proper bacteria, which are easier to kill. That's the idea behind Tyndallization, after all. If there's endospores that survive PCing you're fucked anyway, since you have no way to get them out after you inoculate the jar. In fact, what you really shouldn't do is wait too long to inoculate after sterilizing. If there are endospores that survived, you're giving them a head-start to your fungus in colonizing the grain.

Offlinejpchatx
Stranger
Re: Delay between prepping oat spawn and sterilizing [Re: InsultingLizard]
    #27468696 - 09/14/21 09:30 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Ok these are amazing tips, real glad I asked. I thought about grabbing some plastic lids after I’d already ordered the SFDs, so figure I might as well wait for them. I’m going to knock the whole setup out in one night then.

Thanks everyone!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates