Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMickey1959
Stranger
Spawn jars seem slow
    #27468230 - 09/14/21 04:57 PM (1 month, 12 days ago)

Hi all I am new to all this so I will explain what I am doing.

I started off with some organic brown rice and added it to boiling water for 4 or 5 minutes. To this I added some gypsum about half a teaspoon.

Then I drained this material and put it in a 500mlt jar with a 16 mm hole in the top sealed with micro pore tape.

I then put this in my steamer and steamed it for 2 hours.

When it had cooled I added some liquid culture to it and set it down at approximately 70 df.

This was about 1st of Sep, and whilst there is some growth in the jar it isn't like the vid ios I see on line.

About 3 nights ago I moved the jars over to a small hot box I have made and in there the temp seems to be about 80f.

The question I would like answered is have I done it wrong is there enough air getting through the micro pore tape, has it been to cold to warm.

Like anything new it can be very confusing until it all clicks into place.

Hoping for an enlightened reply.

Regards Martin Martin Steele

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineNichromeS
songs of our own
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone 5
Re: Spawn jars seem slow [Re: Mickey1959]
    #27468248 - 09/14/21 05:10 PM (1 month, 12 days ago)

It is not very likely that you achieved sterility of your grains with that method. Incubating Cubensis mycelium is not ever a good idea as it just speeds up contamination as well. Cubes will colonize down into the 60s but ideally are kept around the 72F range. I'm sorry to say that there are a lot of flaws with your method.

A good place to start if all you have is a steamer is BRF cakes (brown rice flour/vermiculite aka PF cakes). They can work really well and are a lot easier to use to get started with limited gear.

Some terms to search up:

BRF cakes

Pressure cooker

Sterile technique

SAB (still air box)

Laminar flow HEPA filter ("flow hood" is another common term for this)

Jars should only take a couple weeks at the most to colonize regardless of size or method or material inside. Anything longer and they are probably full of contamination.

Check out the AMU thread here on the shroomery. There is a lot of good info and helpful folk. Also check out "getting Started". I'ts right at the top in the community page.

Keep coming back and keep asking questions. This is the place to find the answers and if it's what you want to happen you'll be swimming in shrooms before you know it.

Welcome aboard,
~Nich

--------------------
Pheno Hunters

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
    #27468252 - 09/14/21 05:12 PM (1 month, 12 days ago)

A. What do you mean by lC?

B. 80 is too much, the 70 situation was better.

C. What does the "growth" look like? Got pics?

Doh, nich answered better.

Edited by Smartattack (09/14/21 05:13 PM)

InvisibleBakedbeings
orbiter of truth
 User Gallery

Re: Spawn jars seem slow [Re: Smartattack]
    #27468361 - 09/14/21 06:37 PM (1 month, 12 days ago)

^ what he said

if you want to work with grain, get a pressure cooker. if you dont want to get a pressure cooker, do pf tek

how was this liquid culture made?

--------------------
Bods Link Tree | P9 has AIDS

OfflineMickey1959
Stranger
Re: Spawn jars seem slow [Re: Nichrome]
    #27468438 - 09/14/21 07:35 PM (1 month, 12 days ago)

sorry can't use this site it's a nightmare it's no us Nich I can't use this
Quote:

Nichrome said:
It is not very likely that you achieved sterility of your grains with that method. Incubating Cubensis mycelium is not ever a good idea as it just speeds up contamination as well. Cubes will colonize down into the 60s but ideally are kept around the 72F range. I'm sorry to say that there are a lot of flaws with your method.

A good place to start if all you have is a steamer is BRF cakes (brown rice flour/vermiculite aka PF cakes). They can work really well and are a lot easier to use to get started with limited gear.

Some terms to search up:

BRF cakes

Pressure cooker

Sterile technique

SAB (still air box)

Jars should only take a couple weeks at the most to colonize regardless of size or method or material inside. Anything longer and they are probably full of contamination.

Check out the AMU thread here on the shroomery. There is a lot of good info and helpful folk. Also check out "getting Started". I'ts right at the top in the community page.

Keep coming back and keep asking questions. This is the place to find the answers and if it's what you want to happen you'll be swimming in shrooms before you know it.

Welcome aboard,
~Nich

Hi Nich,

When you say incubating Cubensis is not ever a good idea what do you mean.

Regards Martin Steele
Quote:

Smartattack said:
A. What do you mean by lC?

B. 80 is too much, the 70 situation was better.

C. What does the "growth" look like? Got pics?

Doh, nich answered better.

Quote:

Nichrome said:

Some terms to search up:

BRF cakes

Pressure cooker

Sterile technique

SAB (still air box)

Welcome aboard,
~Nich

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Re: Spawn jars seem slow [Re: Mickey1959] * 1
    #27468449 - 09/14/21 07:40 PM (1 month, 12 days ago)

:confused:

You almost got it I think.

OfflineOra
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: in your heart
Re: Spawn jars seem slow [Re: Smartattack]
    #27468451 - 09/14/21 07:43 PM (1 month, 12 days ago)

man down man down!

he means dont keep your tubs in that small hot box you made. open air is better.

OfflineNichromeS
songs of our own
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone 5
Re: Spawn jars seem slow [Re: Ora]
    #27468521 - 09/14/21 08:37 PM (1 month, 12 days ago)

Cubes don't require incubation. Incubation is the provision of more heat than ambient temp for the purposes of speeding up growth. This is almost always detrimental to cube mycelium. If you are comfortable your cubes are too. On a shelf at ambient room temperature and ambient room light (not direct sun) is 100% ideal.

--------------------
Pheno Hunters

Offlinecomputergroove
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27468998 - 09/15/21 09:14 AM (1 month, 11 days ago)

The first syringes I bought took 3+ weeks to colonize in the brown rice and vermiculite method. After I took a spore print and made my own syringes the colonization went much faster. I took it to mean that I had syringes from old stock. If you are seeing growth, and its white, stick it out for another week or 2. Contamination is the hardest part about this hobby. If you can get a working strain you can keep it alive and vibrant.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies