Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCarmeloLabadie
Stranger
No pour agar sterilization methods
    #27466296 - 09/13/21 12:40 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I'm wanting to get into agar work but the first two attempts didn't go very well. I watched loads of videos and did the sterilize and pour method first. Even though I cleaned the SAB, gloves and sleeves I still got about 70% contaminated. So I tried the no pour method next. After taking everything out of the PC I had loads of excess water in everything even after carefully wrapping with foil. I also had what appeared to be algae in the agar but attribute that to letting the agar boil over on the stir plate, that I can fix.

I'm using a mixture of 60 and 90 mm glass petri dishes for doing culture samples and condiment cups for making agar to grain transfers. I have some jars I can put the 60 mm dishes in but the 90's are too big for them or most other jars for that matter. On a side note the 90's stack better than the 60's and that makes a difference when pouring the agar. I'm pushing it at 5 tall with the 60's before they want to topple. I've looked into the Ziploc twist n lock containers but the 60's want to tip over and the 90's are to big.

What methods do you use to keep moisture infiltration to a minimum during PC'ing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCarmodycaramel
Карамелизированный
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
Re: No pour agar sterilization methods [Re: CarmeloLabadie]
    #27466312 - 09/13/21 12:55 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Hard for me to understand but what do your no pour containers look like exactly? Are you placing pre poured petri dishes inside of jars and pressure cooking?

EDIT : Maybe I'm just a dunce.

My method for no pour involves 4oz mason jars with a single hole poked in the lid covered in micropore tape. I prepare the agar in the microwave, pour into the jars, screw the lids on and then cover the lids in tinfoil and pressure cook.

--------------------
First it was so quiet and now I know I'm not alone in here.

Edited by Carmodycaramel (09/13/21 12:57 AM)

InvisibleCreonAntigone
Stranger

Re: No pour agar sterilization methods [Re: CarmeloLabadie]
    #27466315 - 09/13/21 12:57 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

It's not entirely clear - what kind of container are you doing the no-pours in? Are you just PCing the glass Petri dishes? For how long?

If algae germinates on your plates then they aren't sterile. A proper PC cycle will definitely kill the algae spores. Perhaps you aren't sterilizing long enough or perhaps your PC isn't functioning correctly.

Invisiblealaskappalachian
Entitiologist

Loc: The 49th Dimension
Re: No pour agar sterilization methods [Re: CreonAntigone]
    #27466319 - 09/13/21 01:09 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

When pouring your agar,  let it cool to about 120 before pouring and that will take care of a lot of your problem with moisture.  With prepours,  prep your agar and pour,  then leave those lids off until the dishes cool THEN lid the plates/dishes and PC.  I have almost zero condensation in mine without any additional work.  Also,  sanitizing things with isopropyl is good,  but won't in the least bit compensate for improper technique.  Not an insult at all; just you are new and need a lot of practice.  Go back and read Bohdi's agar teks and some of the prepour teks n the sticky threads.  They cover all of this and more.  Best of luck.  You do a few runs and actually read those teks CAREFULLY and you'll be transferring to your heart's content in no time.  You got this.

--------------------

THE 49TH MYCOJOURNAL: EXOTICS, AURORAS,  & ENTITIES

ISO:Gym punctifolius spores for trade :pm:

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery
Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: No pour agar sterilization methods [Re: alaskappalachian]
    #27466323 - 09/13/21 01:15 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

No pours have to be cooled slowly to avoid condensation or you have to wrap the pc or similar to allow the agar to cool slowly.

Invisiblealaskappalachian
Entitiologist

Loc: The 49th Dimension
Re: No pour agar sterilization methods [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #27466335 - 09/13/21 01:25 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Untrue.  As I just mentioned,  just let the prepours cool before lidding and you're gravy.  I keep about 150 at a time in rotation and pull those right out after PCing.  Every time.

--------------------

THE 49TH MYCOJOURNAL: EXOTICS, AURORAS,  & ENTITIES

ISO:Gym punctifolius spores for trade :pm:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract