Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecom
Alchemist

Mushroom Colonization Medium comparison
    #2746148 - 05/30/04 09:21 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

AFOAF had told me of their success and content with millet and a pf tek 1/2 pint jar method of inoculation.  I had read of barley being a good medium as well.  So I innoculated 12 1/2" jars with 4 different strains of exotic gourmet mushrooms, each strain had three jars, 1 millet, 1 barley and 1 50/50 millet & barley.  My speculation up front was that the mix would do best due to my observation of how it seemed to be of a preferred consistancy.  My observations were correct, using my own slightly altered version of a grain based pf tek jar setup i inoculated in one fouled swoop all 4 strains (ahem, blue/pink/yellow oyster, etc... :wink:) in all 12 jars and placed them the incubator incubating at 86.1 deg/fer.  48 hours later my inspection of the jars showed that the third strain on the mixed jar had colonated nearly 50% of the millet & barley mix, aggressive mycelium growth was noted on 2 of the other 3 strains on only the mixed jars.  Minor growth has been noted 72 gours in on all other jars but not nearly as much as the m/b mix.  Barley being the second better of the two.  Any comments suggestions/comments or similar results? 

PS> Jars were shook good 24 hours after innoculation then placed upside down.  This is my first post, been lurking for a while!  Hey all!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mushroom Colonization Medium comparison [Re: com]
    #2746161 - 05/30/04 09:27 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Welcome.

Well this is rye, you may want to give it a shot.

6 days from spore.

If my rye jars don't fininsh in 9 days, I junk em.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinecom
Alchemist

Re: Mushroom Colonization Medium comparison [Re: Magash]
    #2746270 - 05/30/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the suggestion, I whent with millet and barley due to the local hippy co-op's lack of rye. So I have a bag of it coming in with my new pressure cooker from mycosupply.com I had also read several complimentary reports on rye based growing. Also I have read your previous posts and threads and found them very informative, thank you for your contribution. I'm about to make my first casings, I plan on making at least two of four trays casings with the m/b combo and the rest will be with the rye. Do you have a recommended casing mix list for these mediums? I beleive i read something along those lines in a previous post of yours but can't pull it off the top of my head.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2746277 - 05/30/04 10:19 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You know, I've just been using 75%coir and 25% verm. You don't have to be exact it's not rocket science or anything. I'm all about keeping it as simple and easy as possiable.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlinecom
Alchemist

#2746292 - 05/30/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

So you're using no grain in your casing mix am I right? Are there any drawbacks to breaking up a fully colonized cake into the same grain base it was grown off and spreading that out evenly over the bottom of the casing tray and adding a layer if jiffy mix over the top?

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2746312 - 05/30/04 10:31 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Just break up the cake. Try and break it into more grain and that just opens the doors wide open for contams.

Well I use rye grain in the casing substrate mix, but not the casing layer mix.

--------------------

Offlinecom
Alchemist

#2746316 - 05/30/04 10:34 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

That's my intent, so far everything's going good, and I keep everything very sterile, so here goes nothing, if I lose 2 trays it's in the name of science and no big deal.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2746319 - 05/30/04 10:35 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

:goodluck:

--------------------

Offlinecom
Alchemist

#2746376 - 05/30/04 10:51 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks alot man!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract