Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlineanthro_harmer
Stranger

Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery * 2
    #27460954 - 09/08/21 08:13 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Hi everyone!

My name is Stacey and I am a student, currently working on a project for one of my classes in Anthropology. I have reached out to the administrators of the site to gain permission to post here about the research I am conducting.

My project is based roughly around an ethnographic research which entails learning from different subcultures on their interactions, traditions, communications, ideas, etc. I am interested in focusing on this forum on Mushroom Cultivation and how ideas are transferred from one farmer to another. I am also interested in understanding the interactions you all have with the global market (what are some of the challenges or obstacles you all face, etc.).

I have worked in the food industry for the past decade and have had experience working on a gourmet mushroom farm in Florida. My passions are really centered around food and how we affect/interact with it.

As far as privacy and ethics, nothing will be used that is not consented to use. If that requires complete anonymity, I will most gladly adhere to that. The purpose of this project and research is more of a learning experience for those who are wanting to conduct anthropological research in the future, and such, it is designed to let the students learn how ethnographic research is supposed to be conducted. No names/usernames/personal information will be used if requested (I will plan to use fake names if I need to distinguish between certain people). I would also be very happy to share with everyone the outcome of this project. 

The research will be driven by a question or something that I would like to learn more about. From my point of view, I would like everyone's input on what would benefit this community in this type of research. What are some of the challenges that mushroom growing/cultivation/marketing has? I think it would be great for this project to involve everyone's input here as to what would be most beneficial for all. Any and all suggestions are welcome! I would like to make this a collaborative effort, not just for my learning experience, but also to give back to the group if possible.

Thanks and I look forward to learning from you guys!

UPDATE:
Soooo think I have an idea for a direction..

Maybe like Ode to Shroomery type of deal where we see how the site has changed how everyone grows mushrooms?

Long-term idea type of thing, where everyone's input on how they have had failures and/or successes with certain ways of growing, and how the availability of this forum has brought everyone's ideas/knowledge together to be this 'thinktank' (thanks liamtheloser)

So, anyone with early stories of their Shroomery experience, etc. etc. fire away...

Edited by anthro_harmer (09/22/21 06:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStipe-n CapMDiscord
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: anthro_harmer]
    #27486774 - 09/29/21 07:15 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Excellent, anthropology and mushrooms.

If it wasn't for the shroomery I wouldn't even be who I am today and I certainly wouldn't be cultivating mushrooms. Shroomery is mushroom mecca, in my estimation.

Good luck with your research.

Offlineanthro_harmer
Stranger

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Stipe-n Cap]
    #27486831 - 09/29/21 08:00 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, kind of a strange combo... :laugh: 

I like the vibe I have heard so far.. think-tank, mecca, etc. Sounds like Shroomery does a fantastic job of bringing everyone together!

Hopefully my nerd escapade won't seem too intrusive :wink:

InvisibleStipe-n CapMDiscord
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: anthro_harmer] * 1
    #27486836 - 09/29/21 08:05 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Not at all, you're in the land of nerd escapades.

Feel free to message me, I'm happy to share my experiences.

A notable mention from this book:

Offlineanthro_harmer
Stranger

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Stipe-n Cap] * 1
    #27486845 - 09/29/21 08:16 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Awesome! Will most definitely do.

That is FANTASTIC that this site is mentioned in a book.. I would have never known!

Pretty cool that they see this as a democratization of mycology. But makes senses, seeing how the site works. So many different ideas/tips/people coming together for a common cause... Makes my heart feel a little bit better about the world we live in nowadays.

Offlinenektar61S
Female Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Cube Satellite
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: anthro_harmer]
    #27510956 - 10/20/21 05:47 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

anthro_harmer said:
That is FANTASTIC that this site is mentioned in a book.. I would have never known!

This site was also written up in Wired Magazine earlier this year
https://www.wired.com/story/hackers-mason-jars-psychedelic-science-diy-shrooms/

Quote:

anthro_harmer said:
Pretty cool that they see this as a democratization of mycology. .

It is cool. I call it "Open Source Shrooms."

This site isn't just hippies getting high, there are a few handfuls of real scientists here (not me, I'm just a hippy getting high), and a lot of citizen scientists, + people into non-psychedelic shrooms ("edibles" as opposed to "actives"). People even trade things like yogurt cultures on the Shroomery.

There is some real community here, in between the bickering you'd see anywhere online - which seems to have amped up everywhere since the start of COVID.

On the other end of the continuum from the Shroomery, there's a huge land grab "gold rush" starting with psychedelics now.

The founder of this site posted about it here:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27508570#27508570

My comment on that:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27510934#27510934

Nothing wrong with people getting paid for products and services, but as someone said, there will end up being a lot of crap like people paying 700 bucks to take 5 dollars' worth of shrooms and talk to a "licensed guide" over Zoom. The guides will probably get their certification online in four hours, and maybe have never even experienced psychedelics.

Glad you're doing what you're doing. Your heart seems to be in the right place.

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

-x7x+ (x7x plus) spore giveaway. (CLOSED)

Edited by nektar61 (10/20/21 06:07 AM)

Offlineanthro_harmer
Stranger

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #27510977 - 10/20/21 06:26 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for those other mentions, I'll definitely look into those.

Appreciate all the feedback! Every little bit helps to get a better understanding of all the different things that Shroomery does.

OfflineeVenom
DRIFT on toBATTLE
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #27510982 - 10/20/21 06:29 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Not quite sure what you need or what the goal of your research is, but anything to forward the message is good

--------------------
eVenom

"Some of us like a nice buzz, while others want to climb a screaming volcano naked to meet god."
RR

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: eVenom] * 1
    #27511612 - 10/20/21 05:22 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Early story:

Generally interested in drugs since high school, for reasons that I don't want to get into. This pushed me towards chemistry/ChemE. Lurked a bit. College, I got much more into drugs, including the, let's say, "entrepreneurial" side. ChemE major. As someone who cared about my customers, I made sure I knew exactly what I had in my inventory, so I frequented Erowid, here, and a few other websites. Shrooms were by far my favorite drug, and my biggest money maker. Everybody had a weed guy, but not many people had access to shrooms. Through a serendipitous house party in a sketchy part of town, I had access to unlimited shrooms and DMT. And unlike hard drugs, there was significant interest in shrooms.

Towards the end of college, I tried growing for the first time. Buddy of mine put together a grow op (he was stupid about it, got raided by the DEA, and last I checked is in big boy jail for growing, dealing, GTA, assault, assault on a cop, etc.) But, before he got busted, he did give me two PF cakes, which I fruited successfully. That's when I made my account. Once I started growing, I shut down the entrepreneurial side of my drug life, as that is an unacceptable risk. From here on, I was strictly a customer.

Didn't really do much for a year or two, until I went to grad school, which gave me access to the bio grad students, and more importantly, their BSL cabinets/sterile work environments, unsupervised. At this point, I was still a ChemE, but I had an interest in mycology, and I started growing gourmet mushrooms as a cover. Started a small business selling legal mushrooms at farmers markets, while growing less legal mushrooms on the side. Since I wasn't selling, and was sharing with only a very small group of trusted friends, I quickly ended up with a pile of shrooms that I didn't know what to do with. So I composted them. I'd grow shrooms and throw them on the compost pile. Sold by the pound, I composted at least 50k$ total. Sold by the ounce, enough to buy a house. Unacceptable risk.

EDIT: I did, and still do, have thoughts of making psychedelic shrooms grow wild throughout town. I don't think it was successful. Could have been johnny mushroomspore.

After grad school, I stopped growing extensively. I've got a few live strains that I maintain on grain, but those are mostly as a sort of cold storage, and not active production of shrooms. Of course, I do need to refresh them, and I spawn a jar here and there for personal use whenever it gets a bit old and needs to be put on new grain. Maybe one day I'll get back into it, but not today. Today, I just have a sizeable library of spore prints and strains that I can potentially work with. I have a spore print of pretty much every flush I've ever collected (including those first two PF cakes), and the live strains that I've kept are I guess, best of the best. I picked the biggest and most prolific shrooms, so theoretically there's some genetic selection taking place.

As I mentioned at first, drugs essentially pushed me into chemistry, which is now my career. I was good at math, and that made me good at chemistry. If I could do it over again, I'd get into computers. Working that way right now. But, I digress.

Towards the end of grad school, I ended up being drawn to politics. I did debate during my school/college years, I have absolutely no fear of public speaking/presenting (and I'm pretty good at it), and so I hang out in the political forum most of the time now. I guess from the anthropology side, that's when I stopped thinking of the Shroomery as a resource and more of a community. Before I started posting in the politics forum, I was mostly lurking or maybe asking a question here and there in the cultivation forums, and occasionally posting in the chemistry forums when I saw something egregiously stupid.

Edited by Kryptos (10/20/21 05:29 PM)

Offlineanthro_harmer
Stranger

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: eVenom]
    #27511717 - 10/20/21 07:24 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

eVenom said:
Not quite sure what you need or what the goal of your research is, but anything to forward the message is good

I guess for the base of it, I'm focusing on Shroomery being a hub of information that anyone can have access too, making it possible for feedback that you all give each other with issues that may come up, passing around new ideas for growing, or anything else having to do with mushrooms, etc.

Then how it basically develops into a community that has more to offer than just growing/cultivating, which I guess is the ultimate end goal?

I hope that helps.. lol

Quote:

Kryptos said:

As I mentioned at first, drugs essentially pushed me into chemistry, which is now my career. I was good at math, and that made me good at chemistry. If I could do it over again, I'd get into computers. Working that way right now. But, I digress.

Towards the end of grad school, I ended up being drawn to politics. I did debate during my school/college years, I have absolutely no fear of public speaking/presenting (and I'm pretty good at it), and so I hang out in the political forum most of the time now. I guess from the anthropology side, that's when I stopped thinking of the Shroomery as a resource and more of a community. Before I started posting in the politics forum, I was mostly lurking or maybe asking a question here and there in the cultivation forums, and occasionally posting in the chemistry forums when I saw something egregiously stupid.

Thanks for that insight! I do enjoy browsing all the different forums here, because not all of them relate to mushrooms and are just about general topics. Its great and I would have never known that without actually looking into the site!

Sounds like you have a spore bank of mushrooms which might come in handy one day!

Offlineanthro_harmer
Stranger

#27511734 - 10/20/21 07:43 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Another random thought that I had...

What are some of the reasons for sticking to Shroomery on the forum(if that's the only one you use), in comparison with the Facebook or Discord group?

Or, if anyone does use more than one, what do the combinations of the different sites help with?

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27511767 - 10/20/21 08:10 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

It seems that you need to further narrow down your questions.

What is the purpose of your research?

Do you wish to explore the community that has formed around mushroom consumption? You might be better off finding a group a hippies that eat shrooms and work shit tier jobs and...not much else. I'd ask one of the undergrads smoking outside of the dorms for a lead. Undergrads that smoke outside of dorms generally know the weed guy, and the weed guy probably knows the shroom guy.

Do you wish to explore the development of an online community? You might be better off finding a newer, smaller, community. Probably some random subreddit, idk.

Do you wish you explore the development of community in general? You're probably better off with a literature search.

Wise man once said:

All your greatest ideas have already occurred to someone else.

What distinguishes your idea?

There are thousands of stories to write thousands of theses here. Or there is one story that is too broad for a single thesis, but can be mangled into a passing grade, if you're willing to haphazardly shove it into the right box. What do you want?

Offlineanthro_harmer
Stranger

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Kryptos]
    #27511789 - 10/20/21 08:34 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

The main idea that I am working with is Shroomery as a site that has transformed how knowledge is obtained/transmitted and is open to anyone who is willing/wanting to learn the trade -- so specifically, new techniques developed through the site, new information on contamination, etc, over a long period of time.

Then, through that, a community develops around it - so specifically, what keeps people gathered around Shroomery, regardless of whether or not they grow/cultivate/consume mushrooms. So like you said perfectly how you interact more with the Politics Forum.

I'm seeing Shroomery as a site that connects a diverse group people and provides a unique/interactive way of learning . And Shroomery was the site I decided to look into, simply because I love eating mushrooms(typically just for nourishment).

OfflineBig_Dub
I'm just some guy
Male

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: anthro_harmer] * 2
    #27511793 - 10/20/21 08:41 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

anthro_harmer said:
Another random thought that I had...

What are some of the reasons for sticking to Shroomery on the forum(if that's the only one you use), in comparison with the Facebook or Discord group?

Or, if anyone does use more than one, what do the combinations of the different sites help with?

Shroomery has decades of ideas, good and bad. Thousands and thousands of pages to read through

But... you have to know how to do basic searching to access this info.

For instance, I think it's awesome to read posts by workman from 20 years ago. And then also some of the newer most recent stuff.

Fb, discord, reddit, etc are too "mainstream"  I feel like they are too easy to use so they get flooded with bad info/echo systems/etc

I really think the older style of formatting here at .org sits out a lot of people, which isn't necessarily a bad thing

--------------------
split_by_nine said:
click me you fuck

work harder AND smarter.
Send me a message :smile:

Offlinenektar61S

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: anthro_harmer] * 3
    #27511825 - 10/20/21 09:29 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

anthro_harmer said:
The main idea that I am working with is Shroomery as a site that has transformed how knowledge is obtained/transmitted and is open to anyone who is willing/wanting to learn ....

I think part of the reason shrooms are exploding (largely through the Shroomery) is that they are the best drug you can make at home with household items.

Before the teks here got hammered out over the past couple decades, all you could really make relatively quickly at home was meth (yuck!) and pot (yawn).

Almost all psychedelics require more effort, money, and time than shrooms.

LSD needs a lab, heavily watched chemicals, and a working knowledge of organic chemistry. Plus if someone does it from ergot, they could poison themselves and those around them.

Peyote takes years to grow, or you have to poach the ever-decreasing natural supplies, always on someone else's land.

DMT is doable with extracts of common ornamental plants, but still involves toxic / highly flammable solvents.

And while DMT is structurally VERY close to the active chemicals in shrooms, DMT has a reputation for being overwhelming and teeth jarring. Shrooms can do that, dependant on dose, but are generally more polite about it.

Don't get me started on why indole drugs taken from toads are a bad idea.

Shrooms are superior to LSD, in my opinion, in duration. I did LSD over 100 times before I tried shrooms. Shrooms were harder to find than LSD when I was younger.

LSD can last a long time...to the point where you just want it to be over. About the time you might want LSD to be over, shrooms are over. And you can re-dose if you don't want shrooms to be over.

Someone with patience can get a continual lifetime supply of shrooms using only:
--Spores that are everywhere now
plus
--Items you can buy while food shopping at WalMart or any other large store, especially if the store has a garden center, but even if it doesn't.

Or from Amazon, eBay or Walmart.com if someone is too rural to get to a big-box store easily.

Another aspect that makes growing shrooms fun is the "collect all 200+, trade 'em with your friends" aspect. It has largely replaced baseball cards in the world.

While "a cube is a cube (except Penis Envy"), there are subtle differences in feel, and vast differences in look.

Plus there are other species of psilocybin analog-containing mushrooms that have different ratios of the components that can give different trips.

See my sig line for one that is quickly gaining popularity.

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

Edited by nektar61 (10/20/21 09:46 PM)

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: anthro_harmer] * 3
    #27512336 - 10/21/21 11:04 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Not totally sure what you want exactly but I have now spent half of my life as a member on The Shroomery.  I came initially for safety reasons because I was acquiring psilocybin mushrooms from a dealer and wanted someone to identify them and make sure I was being safe.

That was in 2005.  I began tripping a few times per year and in about 2009 was introduced to the basic cultivating technique called the pf-tek and the cultivation section of the website.  I was very fortunate to have been taken under a few cultivator's wings and helped along the way, something I do now with others to pass on the hobby in hopes of proliferating magic mushrooms to those that want them.

My first attempt I was successful and spent then next 10+ years refining the techniques and moving onto bulk grows.

Magic mushrooms were pivotal in my development into who I am today for a few reasons.  I was always into science but never had a specific sector I enjoyed.  Mycology was still very unknown so I felt like there was still a lot to discover and learn.  I had a biology professor in college I showed my Lions Mane cultivation efforts to and he was amazed, he said he had never really thought much about how fungi grow underground and etc and he really pushed me to keep moving forward.

I really just liked getting high on magic mushrooms too :lol:  Well, that made me start asking more questions...  What chemicals in these things do this?  Why?  Is it really safe?  How do they come to be?  What parts of the brain are they acting on?

In about 2016 I went back to school and took prerequisite courses for nursing school where I had to take two chemistry courses and microbiology.  Mycology helped me so much because while I never had much of a scientific education past high school, being involved in mycology and seeing chemical structures of psilocybin, psilocin, LSD and others made me extremely interested in subjects like pharmacology, pharmacodynamics, and practicing medicine. 

Long story short... I very likely wouldn't be in the career I am today if I never found mushrooms, both because of trips that made me realize what I need/want to do in my life as well as all of the science that you pick up along the journey without even realizing it.  The friends along the way are just the cherry on top.  I care about a bunch of members here, some I have interacted with since 2005 yet never spoke or met up, just messages through pixels on a screen.

Offlineanthro_harmer
Stranger

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: PreparationH]
    #27512937 - 10/21/21 09:30 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Big_Dub said:

Fb, discord, reddit, etc are too "mainstream"  I feel like they are too easy to use so they get flooded with bad info/echo systems/etc

I really think the older style of formatting here at .org sits out a lot of people, which isn't necessarily a bad thing

That make's a lot of sense there. So here, it is a little easier to vet the information being put on the site, by all the moderators, as well as the members.

Quote:

nektar61 said:
Someone with patience can get a continual lifetime supply of shrooms using only:
--Spores that are everywhere now
plus
--Items you can buy while food shopping at WalMart or any other large store, especially if the store has a garden center, but even if it doesn't.

Or from Amazon, eBay or Walmart.com if someone is too rural to get to a big-box store easily.

Another aspect that makes growing shrooms fun is the "collect all 200+, trade 'em with your friends" aspect. It has largely replaced baseball cards in the world.

So easily accessible items to make them as long as you have the spores, but there is also a little competitive nature of how many different kinds you have? --- which makes sense; the grower I worked with had a lot of different varieties of gourmet mushrooms to sell to the local restaurants and they liked a lot of the more "exotic" looking ones, or got super hyped over a new variety that he was growing.

Quote:

PreparationH said:

Long story short... I very likely wouldn't be in the career I am today if I never found mushrooms, both because of trips that made me realize what I need/want to do in my life as well as all of the science that you pick up along the journey without even realizing it.  The friends along the way are just the cherry on top.  I care about a bunch of members here, some I have interacted with since 2005 yet never spoke or met up, just messages through pixels on a screen.

You basically nailed what I was looking for from your perspective. I know it sounds odd, but it's trying to see the similar and/or different ways people came to the site, then how Shroomery gave them better access to information about mushrooms, or how the forum became a part of their lives, so to speak. :grin:

Also, your ending seems to be in line with a lot of other people who have chimed in, in the sense that Shroomery has become an important milestone or stepping stone into what you do today -- so there is something special about this community here

Offlinenektar61S

#27512958 - 10/21/21 09:59 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

anthro_harmer said:

I lurk on Reddit, and occasionally post, but it's very "noob" and young compared to Shroomery.

One of the main disadvantages of Reddit is that they don't moderate bullshit on there.

I've seen more than one post on Reddit where someone obviously posted a Photoshopped pic, like took a 30 gram shroom, expanded to look like a 300 gram shroom, then copied and pasted covering their hand and part of their arm....with telltale signs like shroom being much lower rez than the arm, and the shadows on the shroom and the arm coming from opposite directions. ha ha.

That got hundreds of likes on Reddit. On here, it wouldn't fly.

Someone could post a photo of a fat shroom on the Reddit the shroom subs (even the one called "shroomery") and say something like "If you want huge shrooms, pour 3 drops of gasoline into your agar mix"....They would get 200 upvotes, even though it's bullshit.

If they posted that on here, they'd have ten people saying "bullshit"

Conversely, it can be a little hard handed here even when your honest, turned me off at first, but I really needed to embrace the "Sit down, shut up, and listen until you get good at this." I had to learn that when I first got on here.

Frequently said around here, and it makes sense, is "Before you try to change everything and come up with a new grow system, do a few of the tried-and-true ones, a few times at least. 

Reddit shroom groups (there are a few of them) are full of people doing their first PF tek or Uncle Ben's grows trying to tell old timers that the old timers are doing it wrong. It's silly.

That said, reddit has a bigger tolerance for exuberance. I've seen people shouted down here for just being happy and posting something interesting in an off-topic forum. It's ugly and petty. That wouldn't really happen, or rarely happen, on Reddit.

I agree that the old-style forum software here is part of why it's cool, and that it's not "social media."

I think this is based on a forum software called "Simple Machines" (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm not sure the underlying software they're using here maintained well. Or else shroomery isn't maintaining it well.

This site was down for a month due to being hacked by someone demanding bitcoin, it shouldn't take a month to fix that and gird the site against attacks.

If Reddit were ever down for a month it would probably affect the stock exchange. I've never ever seen a popular site down for a month. Was crazy. And a lot of people said something like that happened here the year before (but for more like a week. Even so...)

I mainly started looking at the Reddit shroom subreddits when the Shroomery was down for a month.
---
Oh, did you know that a post on this site helped take down the Silk Road?  Was this post:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13860995

Is explained here:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18930577#18930577

Moral of the story: if you ever start a multi-million dollar drug market that changes the world, don't use your full name in the email you use.

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

Edited by nektar61 (10/22/21 04:24 PM)

InvisibleModularMind
M.P.F.
Male User Gallery

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: anthro_harmer] * 2
    #27513289 - 10/22/21 07:28 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

This book. (Paid for, in cash, at B&N)

Bought after reading the first paragraph.

Guided me to shroomery.org

:peace::heart::mushroom2:

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Trusted Cultivator
    #27513539 - 10/22/21 12:08 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

anthro_harmer said:
The main idea that I am working with is Shroomery as a site that has transformed how knowledge is obtained/transmitted and is open to anyone who is willing/wanting to learn the trade -- so specifically, new techniques developed through the site, new information on contamination, etc, over a long period of time.

Then, through that, a community develops around it - so specifically, what keeps people gathered around Shroomery, regardless of whether or not they grow/cultivate/consume mushrooms. So like you said perfectly how you interact more with the Politics Forum.

I'm seeing Shroomery as a site that connects a diverse group people and provides a unique/interactive way of learning . And Shroomery was the site I decided to look into, simply because I love eating mushrooms(typically just for nourishment).

Well that's just any forum anymore, or any of the things that work as forums but look different, because...change. :lol:

I doubt there's anything unique going on here, just a collection of people from around the world with a common interest and internet access.

As closely as I'd care to pin that interest down, I'd have to say it's psychedelic drugs. :aliceshocker:

Specifically, consuming and making your own.  :snoopyes:

Not sure what this thread is doing stickied at the top of all the forums, and the "ODE" in the title made no sense at all until it became "Ode".  Might wanna change that. :laugh2:

Anyway enough bitching, I love Shroomery and felt deprived the last time it went down for a few WEEKS.  That just doesn't happen anywhere else...

I've been growing steadily since the 80's, when of course there was nothing but a few books.  Eventually took a ten year break and started up again, got turned onto this site by a friend, and that was that.

Mush love forever! :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Edited by PrimalSoup (10/22/21 12:32 PM)

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: PrimalSoup] * 9
    #27518763 - 10/26/21 11:50 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I think about how much has changed just in our most basic understanding of things. We no longer grow in fishtanks or use drip shields. No one cold shocks tropical species or fans to provide fresh air exchange. We know cloning and isolation are important for consistent results and we learned that substrate/media has very little impact on potency. We now have new people starting with no pour agar and few people shoot spores into LC anymore. Liquids got big, then abandandoned, then revived in a spectacular Renensance of massive expansions. Monotubs were invented in 2005, and have been steadily improving. Dubtubs were made obsolete then brought back as shoeboxes and most people save the fancy Greenhouse setups for exotics and gourmet species. People are now crossing mutants and well domesticated lines to give us more unique stable variants than we have ever seen. So much has happened and we still have so much to learn still.

The big one is in expectations. Twenty years ago if someone got a handful of fruits or a total biological efficiency of 45% it was a smashing success. Today people are pulling bio efficiencies of 175-200% first flush like it was nothing. The game has changed and it's been amazing to watch.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #27522982 - 10/29/21 02:58 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Thought on the community aspect:

The shroomery is outdated. Just from a technical comparison to twitter/facebook/tiktok/whatever.

As far as I can tell, there is no algorithm. There is no curated news feed. There is no easy passive drip of content for you to mindlessly scroll through. This makes the site (a) outdated and (b) relatively difficult to navigate and get involved in.

Browsing the shroomery, and learning here requires proactive curiosity. This enforces the bare minimum engagement from the user to participate. You can't really refresh and scroll like you can with more modern social media.

I wonder how that affects the community-building aspect.

Offlineanthro_harmer
Stranger

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Kryptos]
    #27523049 - 10/29/21 04:05 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The shroomery is outdated. Just from a technical comparison to twitter/facebook/tiktok/whatever.

As far as I can tell, there is no algorithm. There is no curated news feed. There is no easy passive drip of content for you to mindlessly scroll through. This makes the site (a) outdated and (b) relatively difficult to navigate and get involved in.

Browsing the shroomery, and learning here requires proactive curiosity. This enforces the bare minimum engagement from the user to participate. You can't really refresh and scroll like you can with more modern social media.

From an outside perspective and kind of thinking outloud, it seems the older set-up of the forum might be a draw to becoming a part of this site. So possibly that filters out others who are not really wanting to engage and just there to absorb information?

If you are willing to spend the time to learn to navigate the site, engage with people, and, as you say be proactive, possibly creates a community with a little more connection than what other 'social' media sites have?

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: anthro_harmer] * 1
    #27523270 - 10/29/21 07:29 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I can't speak for everyone, but I get the feeling there's a lot fewer parasocial relationships around here compared to instagram.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Kryptos] * 2
    #27523280 - 10/29/21 07:37 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
I can't speak for everyone, but I get the feeling there's a lot fewer parasocial relationships around here compared to instagram.

That has more to do with the fact that many of the people who actually grow are criminals in their respective countries. It takes a long time to build the trust needed to have a relationship. I've been here for years but very few people actually know who I am IRL. That's for my own personal safety. Technically speaking I've helped a lot of people grow and produce illegal organisms and have no interest in having my real identity attached to that.

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Pastywhyte] * 1
    #27523368 - 10/29/21 08:34 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Amen to that. :hereyougo:

--------------------

Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: PrimalSoup] * 3
    #27527781 - 11/02/21 04:53 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah if you are growing on the gram or FB and sharing just remember that those sites get hacked way more often than forums. Also the shroomery automatically strips metadata from images.

To the OP, I think that this site is a great place to study if you take the time to go through the archives and build a timeline of what is considered best practices at the time. Then compare the community consensus over time to show how we have evolved our growing techniques and each milestone that was reached through experimentation and replication to advance the next best thing like shoeboxes and removing the use of a PMP or drip shield. No one uses airstone bubblers or hydroton anymore, but at one point those techniques did get results. But in every generation of thought around growing the number one issues that has been a constant problem for new growers is recognizing bad spawn.

InvisibleTormatoMFacebookDiscordReddit
The Goddess Kali Meh 😛
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Sockadin] * 1
    #27527963 - 11/02/21 07:20 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I couldn't agree more Pasty..here's to the Future :cheers:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Offlineanthro_harmer
Stranger

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Sockadin]
    #27528762 - 11/03/21 01:08 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I think that this site is a great place to study if you take the time to go through the archives and build a timeline of what is considered best practices at the time. Then compare the community consensus over time to show how we have evolved our growing techniques and each milestone that was reached through experimentation and replication to advance the next best thing like shoeboxes and removing the use of a PMP or drip shield.

Definitely something I am trying to do! The archives have so much info so it's taking a bit of time.. :laugh:

I have played around with the idea of taking this up as a project to just do in my free time since there is just so much to explore here with how it's changed over time.

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

#27528770 - 11/03/21 01:13 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

When you use the search function, I pretty much never go further back than 7 years because mycology has made big jumps throughout the sites life.  I remember when I started there were people doing stuff we laugh at now, growing out of fish tanks and coolers lol

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: PreparationH] * 2
    #27528954 - 11/03/21 03:39 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Yet some of my teks are coming up on 8 years old now, the time just goes

:vibin:

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #27529206 - 11/03/21 07:03 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Doesn't mean they stop working.  It gets harder to make improvements the better the teks get. :shrug:

--------------------

The Goddess Kali Meh 😛

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #27529240 - 11/03/21 07:41 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PrimalSoup said:
Doesn't mean they stop working.  It gets harder to make improvements the better the teks get. :shrug:

:whathesaid: Your TEKs are gold IMO...I like to think of past TEKs as spring boards to future cultivation advancements...you're an inspiration to many man! :rockon:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

OnlineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery
Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Tormato]
    #27531037 - 11/05/21 08:38 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Having left for years after being very active in the early 2000s; it was quite a shock to see how far the methods had progressed.

Many of the old teks are amazing bases of knowledge but you have to adapt your thinking to absorb the new knowledge as well.

Offlinenektar61S

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: DERRAYLD] * 3
    #27532018 - 11/06/21 01:02 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DERRAYLD said:
Having left for years after being very active in the early 2000s; it was quite a shock to see how far the methods had progressed.

I was just reading a much older tek than this site, from pre-internet....The 1975 book called "the Psychedelic Guide to Preparation of the Eucharist."
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=27534301&page=0&vc=1#27534301

It claims that shrooms are too hard to grow in captivity. haha. It suggests growing mycelium on rye with a dash of chalk, then extracting the psilocybin and psilocin with methanol and water.

It also claims that mycelium has as much active as shrooms. haha.

Shit, if you grow mycelium on rye, you'll have shrooms soon no matter what, unless you get horrible contam, and maybe even still.

It also describes starting mycelium from spores on agar with no still air box, just a room.

I tried that before I came on here. I grew nothing but mold.

the book also mentions using a pressure cooker for the agar, but not for the grain.

Man, it's like they had 2/3 of the tek and guessed the rest.

I really think you'd make mold, or moldy shrooms with their "no shroom mycelium only" tek. 

This probably seemed promising back then to hippies who had to get shot at by farmers to get shrooms in cow fields.
-
Quote:

Kryptos said:

As far as I can tell, there is no algorithm. There is no curated news feed. ....

That stuff is a bug, not a feature, and the lack of it on the Shroomery is a plus.

The stuff you're describing is why a post on Reddit shroom threads with really solid advice about growing gets 3 likes, and a photo of a puppy looking at an Uncle Ben's bag with 3 anaemic shrooms growing out of it goes to the top of the feed and gets 1900 likes.

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

Edited by nektar61 (11/07/21 10:06 PM)

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: nektar61] * 3
    #27532401 - 11/06/21 11:24 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

i stopped going on reddit because they think we have an elitist attitude, yet the last time I went on people were sucking eachother off using orbeez as a casing layer while the shoebox posted was one of the worst yields of any fruiting tub I have seen, whole tub had like 5 mushrooms.  But ya know, CoLoReD oRbEeZ so that reddit thread had like 400 upvotes

I'm not here for cool looking shit.  I'm here to proliferate growing maximum amounts of magic mushrooms.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #27533169 - 11/07/21 12:25 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

nektar61 said:
That stuff is a bug, not a feature, and the lack of it on the Shroomery is a plus.

I agree with the spirit, if not the letter.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Kryptos] * 3
    #27536490 - 11/09/21 12:05 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Old forums like this have a hierarchy that social media lacks. You can know through join dates, ratings, and tags how much you should weight somebodies input. Social media is controlled by popular opinion; so a 10+ year vet with some innovations over the years and maybe a relevant degree is drowned out by first time growers who just finished reading a 20 year old book on growing. This is why social media is flooded with outdated and bad teks that get tons of upvotes and praise from mostly new or misinformed growers; while on shroomery we debunk old/bad ideas all the time before they pickup steam and become normal practice.

Atleast, that's :2cents: on it.

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: LtLurker]
    #27537119 - 11/09/21 09:27 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

anthro_harmer said:
Quote:

From an outside perspective and kind of thinking outloud, it seems the older set-up of the forum might be a draw to becoming a part of this site. So possibly that filters out others who are not really wanting to engage and just there to absorb information?

If you are willing to spend the time to learn to navigate the site, engage with people, and, as you say be proactive, possibly creates a community with a little more connection than what other 'social' media sites have?

I really agree with this, im way more drawn to use the Shroomery when I want to read things and talk /engagme with people in real time.  Ive been in the cult for like 5 ish years now and I actually feel a part of this awesome community and have learned so much from everyone.

Great spot to accumulate anecdotally proven evidence.

Quote:

PreparationH said:
i stopped going on reddit because they think we have an elitist attitude, yet the last time I went on people were sucking eachother off using orbeez as a casing layer while the shoebox posted was one of the worst yields of any fruiting tub I have seen, whole tub had like 5 mushrooms.  But ya know, CoLoReD oRbEeZ so that reddit thread had like 400 upvotes

I'm not here for cool looking shit.  I'm here to proliferate growing maximum amounts of magic mushrooms.

FUckin true that, were on a mission here , this aint no game son lol
Quote:

LtLurker said:
Old forums like this have a hierarchy that social media lacks. You can know through join dates, ratings, and tags how much you should weight somebodies input. Social media is controlled by popular opinion; so a 10+ year vet with some innovations over the years and maybe a relevant degree is drowned out by first time growers who just finished reading a 20 year old book on growing. This is why social media is flooded with outdated and bad teks that get tons of upvotes and praise from mostly new or misinformed growers; while on shroomery we debunk old/bad ideas all the time before they pickup steam and become normal practice.

Atleast, that's :2cents: on it.

Good point there.

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Luminous7]
    #27537121 - 11/09/21 09:33 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

I love this thread great idea. <3

--------------------

Offlinefungilove
Stranger
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: ModularMind] * 1
    #27537993 - 11/10/21 02:12 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

This book is available here.

Offlinenektar61S

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: fungilove]
    #27538367 - 11/10/21 07:55 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

fungilove said:

Thank you.
Already learning interesting things I didn't know, from Chapter 1: A Brief History of Psilocybin Mushroom Cultivation

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

InvisibleModularMind
M.P.F.
Male User Gallery

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: fungilove]
    #27538484 - 11/10/21 09:39 PM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

fungilove said:

:dancingbacon:

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: ModularMind] * 3
    #27541685 - 11/13/21 11:11 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Things change but we still congratulate each other on our dicks (mushrooms) , that's the real beating heart of the shroomery you'll miss if you just pay attention to what awesome, extremely intellectual, compassionate, innovative, sophisticated and humble scientists we all are.

--------------------
But if you're in a hurry, and really got to go
If you're in a hurry, might have to find out slow
That it's one thing to try and another to fly
You get there quicker just a step at a time
It's one thing to bark, another to bite
The show ain't over till you pack up at night

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: filthyknees] * 4
    #27542879 - 11/14/21 10:34 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Shroomery isn't controlled by Fascists like Facebook and some other sites. Facebook is too willing to help law enforcement control the masses. I would have to say, that's the number one reason for me frequenting this site vs Facebook and others, the staff really tries to make it an all inclusive site here at Shroomery and I'm not saying that because I help moderate or as a Trusted Cultivator/Identifier.

The community here on shroomery would be the absolute solidifier for my choosing shroomery over others.  I have never found such an inclusive community anywhere on online. The willingness to help others is probably the greatest quality of the community and I'm not just referring to the cultivation/identification of mushrooms alone, as a matter of fact the community recently sponsored water wells in Africa.

I would have to say that the collective knowledge of the shroomery community is another awesome quality of the site. So many people here, both Amateurs and professionals, freely share their hard earned knowledge and experiences with the world. There is no better place to learn mushroom cultivation, as well as an excellent resource for learning about the Fungi of the world.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Edited by Doc9151 (11/14/21 10:36 AM)

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27546532 - 11/17/21 01:24 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Hi Stacy and welcome to the Shroomery!

Feel free to send me a private message with any specific questions you may have!

:cheers:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineLand TroutM
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: george castanza] * 2
    #27546811 - 11/17/21 09:31 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

This 1977 article by Alexander Smith seems appropriate here.  Just seems like a lot of the same spirit and topic of the shroomery, and even though Smith is essentially blasting the noobs😂, Guzman and Ott, he’s just holding a high standard to what they were publishing for the sake of truth, and then later works with the guys.
http://www.cybertruffle.org.uk/cyberliber/59350/0069/006/1196.htm
Makes me feel like the real shroomery family goes back a generation before the internet.

Edited by Land Trout (11/17/21 09:34 AM)

OfflineStable Genius
Radicalised
 User Gallery

Loc: Wide Bay Orstralia
    #27550578 - 11/20/21 02:04 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

What is so attractive about the shroomery?

It's like standing on the shoulders of giants  :Awemazing: 
The knowledge contained in these pages is precious and valuable  :ancientaliens:

Being able to grow amazing trips is powerful  :awecid:
Seeing that first growth of healthy mycelium is like producing a baby....... I'm serious  :zaphod:

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Stable Genius] * 3
    #27552076 - 11/21/21 07:13 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

When you see your first pins it’s a magical experience. Personally I still get a rush when I see pins.

The Goddess Kali Meh 😛

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Pastywhyte] * 1
    #27552086 - 11/21/21 07:19 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
When you see your first pins it’s a magical experience. Personally I still get a rush when I see pins.

It never goes away...happy dance everytime!  :rockon:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Tormato]
    #27553613 - 11/22/21 01:06 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Totally agree ^ dat pin rush doe :sporedance:

--------------------

Offlinetebom
Stranger
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Stipe-n Cap]
    #27623673 - 01/18/22 03:05 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Hello! Thank you for posting this research. Tell me, could you help me with the search for literature and books about anthropology? I'll be very grateful. I tried to search for books on this site https://freebooksummary.com/category/boy-snow-bird because here I found quite a few books earlier. However, I still couldn't find what I needed. But I found an excellent novel Boy, Snow, Bird. I read a summary of it there and I'm going to read it.

Edited by tebom (01/24/22 04:52 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck