Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: PrimalSoup] * 9
    #27518763 - 10/26/21 11:50 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

I think about how much has changed just in our most basic understanding of things. We no longer grow in fishtanks or use drip shields. No one cold shocks tropical species or fans to provide fresh air exchange. We know cloning and isolation are important for consistent results and we learned that substrate/media has very little impact on potency. We now have new people starting with no pour agar and few people shoot spores into LC anymore. Liquids got big, then abandandoned, then revived in a spectacular Renensance of massive expansions. Monotubs were invented in 2005, and have been steadily improving. Dubtubs were made obsolete then brought back as shoeboxes and most people save the fancy Greenhouse setups for exotics and gourmet species. People are now crossing mutants and well domesticated lines to give us more unique stable variants than we have ever seen. So much has happened and we still have so much to learn still.

The big one is in expectations. Twenty years ago if someone got a handful of fruits or a total biological efficiency of 45% it was a smashing success. Today people are pulling bio efficiencies of 175-200% first flush like it was nothing. The game has changed and it's been amazing to watch.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #27522982 - 10/29/21 02:58 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Thought on the community aspect:

The shroomery is outdated. Just from a technical comparison to twitter/facebook/tiktok/whatever.

As far as I can tell, there is no algorithm. There is no curated news feed. There is no easy passive drip of content for you to mindlessly scroll through. This makes the site (a) outdated and (b) relatively difficult to navigate and get involved in.

Browsing the shroomery, and learning here requires proactive curiosity. This enforces the bare minimum engagement from the user to participate. You can't really refresh and scroll like you can with more modern social media.

I wonder how that affects the community-building aspect.

Offlineanthro_harmer
Stranger

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Kryptos]
    #27523049 - 10/29/21 04:05 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The shroomery is outdated. Just from a technical comparison to twitter/facebook/tiktok/whatever.

As far as I can tell, there is no algorithm. There is no curated news feed. There is no easy passive drip of content for you to mindlessly scroll through. This makes the site (a) outdated and (b) relatively difficult to navigate and get involved in.

Browsing the shroomery, and learning here requires proactive curiosity. This enforces the bare minimum engagement from the user to participate. You can't really refresh and scroll like you can with more modern social media.

From an outside perspective and kind of thinking outloud, it seems the older set-up of the forum might be a draw to becoming a part of this site. So possibly that filters out others who are not really wanting to engage and just there to absorb information?

If you are willing to spend the time to learn to navigate the site, engage with people, and, as you say be proactive, possibly creates a community with a little more connection than what other 'social' media sites have?

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: anthro_harmer] * 1
    #27523270 - 10/29/21 07:29 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

I can't speak for everyone, but I get the feeling there's a lot fewer parasocial relationships around here compared to instagram.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Kryptos] * 2
    #27523280 - 10/29/21 07:37 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
I can't speak for everyone, but I get the feeling there's a lot fewer parasocial relationships around here compared to instagram.

That has more to do with the fact that many of the people who actually grow are criminals in their respective countries. It takes a long time to build the trust needed to have a relationship. I've been here for years but very few people actually know who I am IRL. That's for my own personal safety. Technically speaking I've helped a lot of people grow and produce illegal organisms and have no interest in having my real identity attached to that.

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Pastywhyte] * 1
    #27523368 - 10/29/21 08:34 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Amen to that. :hereyougo:

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: PrimalSoup] * 3
    #27527781 - 11/02/21 04:53 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah if you are growing on the gram or FB and sharing just remember that those sites get hacked way more often than forums. Also the shroomery automatically strips metadata from images.

To the OP, I think that this site is a great place to study if you take the time to go through the archives and build a timeline of what is considered best practices at the time. Then compare the community consensus over time to show how we have evolved our growing techniques and each milestone that was reached through experimentation and replication to advance the next best thing like shoeboxes and removing the use of a PMP or drip shield. No one uses airstone bubblers or hydroton anymore, but at one point those techniques did get results. But in every generation of thought around growing the number one issues that has been a constant problem for new growers is recognizing bad spawn.

InvisibleTormatoMFacebookDiscordReddit
The Goddess Kali Meh 😛
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Sockadin] * 1
    #27527963 - 11/02/21 07:20 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

I couldn't agree more Pasty..here's to the Future :cheers:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Offlineanthro_harmer
Stranger

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Sockadin]
    #27528762 - 11/03/21 01:08 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I think that this site is a great place to study if you take the time to go through the archives and build a timeline of what is considered best practices at the time. Then compare the community consensus over time to show how we have evolved our growing techniques and each milestone that was reached through experimentation and replication to advance the next best thing like shoeboxes and removing the use of a PMP or drip shield.

Definitely something I am trying to do! The archives have so much info so it's taking a bit of time.. :laugh:

I have played around with the idea of taking this up as a project to just do in my free time since there is just so much to explore here with how it's changed over time.

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: anthro_harmer] * 2
    #27528770 - 11/03/21 01:13 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

When you use the search function, I pretty much never go further back than 7 years because mycology has made big jumps throughout the sites life.  I remember when I started there were people doing stuff we laugh at now, growing out of fish tanks and coolers lol

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: PreparationH] * 2
    #27528954 - 11/03/21 03:39 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Yet some of my teks are coming up on 8 years old now, the time just goes

:vibin:

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #27529206 - 11/03/21 07:03 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Doesn't mean they stop working.  It gets harder to make improvements the better the teks get. :shrug:

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

InvisibleTormatoMFacebookDiscordReddit
The Goddess Kali Meh 😛
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #27529240 - 11/03/21 07:41 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PrimalSoup said:
Doesn't mean they stop working.  It gets harder to make improvements the better the teks get. :shrug:

:whathesaid: Your TEKs are gold IMO...I like to think of past TEKs as spring boards to future cultivation advancements...you're an inspiration to many man! :rockon:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery
Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Tormato]
    #27531037 - 11/05/21 08:38 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Having left for years after being very active in the early 2000s; it was quite a shock to see how far the methods had progressed.

Many of the old teks are amazing bases of knowledge but you have to adapt your thinking to absorb the new knowledge as well.

Offlinenektar61S
Into SporePlay
Female Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Cube Satellite
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: DERRAYLD] * 3
    #27532018 - 11/06/21 01:02 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DERRAYLD said:
Having left for years after being very active in the early 2000s; it was quite a shock to see how far the methods had progressed.

I was just reading a much older tek than this site, from pre-internet....The 1975 book called "the Psychedelic Guide to Preparation of the Eucharist."
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=27534301&page=0&vc=1#27534301

It claims that shrooms are too hard to grow in captivity. haha. It suggests growing mycelium on rye with a dash of chalk, then extracting the psilocybin and psilocin with methanol and water.

It also claims that mycelium has as much active as shrooms. haha.

Shit, if you grow mycelium on rye, you'll have shrooms soon no matter what, unless you get horrible contam, and maybe even still.

It also describes starting mycelium from spores on agar with no still air box, just a room.

I tried that before I came on here. I grew nothing but mold.

the book also mentions using a pressure cooker for the agar, but not for the grain.

Man, it's like they had 2/3 of the tek and guessed the rest.

I really think you'd make mold, or moldy shrooms with their "no shroom mycelium only" tek. 

This probably seemed promising back then to hippies who had to get shot at by farmers to get shrooms in cow fields.
-
Quote:

Kryptos said:

As far as I can tell, there is no algorithm. There is no curated news feed. ....

That stuff is a bug, not a feature, and the lack of it on the Shroomery is a plus.

The stuff you're describing is why a post on Reddit shroom threads with really solid advice about growing gets 3 likes, and a photo of a puppy looking at an Uncle Ben's bag with 3 anaemic shrooms growing out of it goes to the top of the feed and gets 1900 likes.

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

Edited by nektar61 (11/07/21 10:06 PM)

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: nektar61] * 3
    #27532401 - 11/06/21 11:24 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

i stopped going on reddit because they think we have an elitist attitude, yet the last time I went on people were sucking eachother off using orbeez as a casing layer while the shoebox posted was one of the worst yields of any fruiting tub I have seen, whole tub had like 5 mushrooms.  But ya know, CoLoReD oRbEeZ so that reddit thread had like 400 upvotes

I'm not here for cool looking shit.  I'm here to proliferate growing maximum amounts of magic mushrooms.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #27533169 - 11/07/21 12:25 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

nektar61 said:
That stuff is a bug, not a feature, and the lack of it on the Shroomery is a plus.

I agree with the spirit, if not the letter.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Kryptos] * 3
    #27536490 - 11/09/21 12:05 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Old forums like this have a hierarchy that social media lacks. You can know through join dates, ratings, and tags how much you should weight somebodies input. Social media is controlled by popular opinion; so a 10+ year vet with some innovations over the years and maybe a relevant degree is drowned out by first time growers who just finished reading a 20 year old book on growing. This is why social media is flooded with outdated and bad teks that get tons of upvotes and praise from mostly new or misinformed growers; while on shroomery we debunk old/bad ideas all the time before they pickup steam and become normal practice.

Atleast, that's :2cents: on it.

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: LtLurker]
    #27537119 - 11/09/21 09:27 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

anthro_harmer said:
Quote:

From an outside perspective and kind of thinking outloud, it seems the older set-up of the forum might be a draw to becoming a part of this site. So possibly that filters out others who are not really wanting to engage and just there to absorb information?

If you are willing to spend the time to learn to navigate the site, engage with people, and, as you say be proactive, possibly creates a community with a little more connection than what other 'social' media sites have?

I really agree with this, im way more drawn to use the Shroomery when I want to read things and talk /engagme with people in real time.  Ive been in the cult for like 5 ish years now and I actually feel a part of this awesome community and have learned so much from everyone.

Great spot to accumulate anecdotally proven evidence.

Quote:

PreparationH said:
i stopped going on reddit because they think we have an elitist attitude, yet the last time I went on people were sucking eachother off using orbeez as a casing layer while the shoebox posted was one of the worst yields of any fruiting tub I have seen, whole tub had like 5 mushrooms.  But ya know, CoLoReD oRbEeZ so that reddit thread had like 400 upvotes

I'm not here for cool looking shit.  I'm here to proliferate growing maximum amounts of magic mushrooms.

FUckin true that, were on a mission here , this aint no game son lol
Quote:

LtLurker said:
Old forums like this have a hierarchy that social media lacks. You can know through join dates, ratings, and tags how much you should weight somebodies input. Social media is controlled by popular opinion; so a 10+ year vet with some innovations over the years and maybe a relevant degree is drowned out by first time growers who just finished reading a 20 year old book on growing. This is why social media is flooded with outdated and bad teks that get tons of upvotes and praise from mostly new or misinformed growers; while on shroomery we debunk old/bad ideas all the time before they pickup steam and become normal practice.

Atleast, that's :2cents: on it.

Good point there.

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Anthropology and Mushrooms Cultivation Research//ODE to Shroomery [Re: Luminous7]
    #27537121 - 11/09/21 09:33 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

I love this thread great idea. <3

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate