Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: DXM, San Pedro, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

To never "trip" ones entire life: A discussion
    #2745457 - 05/30/04 01:18 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I cannot imagine a life without having done psychedelics at least once.

I'm speechless. I have a million thoughts canned up in my mind but the Heart of Darkness summarizes my idea of what it would be like in two short sentences:

"The horror. The horror."

What do you think such people go through? How would their thoughts and behavior differ had they done psychedelics? Please keep in mind I choose the particular term "psychedelics", not drugs in general. This may or may not include cannabis. Nevertheless I am aiming at the more pronounced psychedelic drugs namely psilocybn, mescaline, LSD, et cetera.

Please discuss this topic. I am interested in what everyone has to say, and will gradually reveal my thoughts as this discussion develops.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: To never "trip" ones entire life: A discussion [Re: daba]
    #2745474 - 05/30/04 01:31 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Words cant elaborate what Ive thought about the use of psychedelics, how its effected me, and how others could be effected. It almost feels as if I was missing something before, that I understand now, but have always had right in front of my face.
Id like to hear what others say, maybe ill share some of the same feelings.

OfflineTheCheat
son of the lamb

Loc: Maillardville, Coquitlam,...
Re: To never "trip" ones entire life: A discussion [Re: Redo]
    #2745668 - 05/30/04 03:38 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i feel the same way you do redo. i couldnt have said it better my self

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2745677 - 05/30/04 03:41 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

There was a 17 yo kid who ate mushrooms and wandered off into the snow and froze to death. Wonder what his life would have been like if he never tripped...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: To never "trip" ones entire life: A discussion [Re: Swami]
    #2745729 - 05/30/04 04:12 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Just as I cannot imagine my life without having experienced the psychedelic world, I cannot imagine the mindset that 17yo kid must've had. I can't imagine taking drugs I knew nothing about, without the presence of at least one person I trusted to make sure that didn't happen....

That's sad for that kid, but shit...he should've "prepared" better.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: To never "trip" ones entire life: A discussion [Re: Blastrid]
    #2745802 - 05/30/04 05:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

"I cannot imagine a life without having done psychedelics at least once. "

well, maybe its time to consider the possibility that psychedelics have caused irreparable damage to your imagination.

seriously.....this is such an absurd idea, that someones life is in any way lacking because they havent ingested a certain chemical.

there are lots of experiences out there folks....countless.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: To never "trip" ones entire life: A discussion [Re: Positronius]
    #2745861 - 05/30/04 06:47 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

agreed. the overall blending of things effect psychedelics has had on me isn't neccassarily a good thing. oh well, with patience and practice i'll get back to some real reality, even more real than before i hope.

sorry guys, except for the sensory "holy fucking shit! my brain is doing like ten million things and i'm watching it all in slow motion" of acid and a 5-meo-dmt trip where i felt as though.. i don't know, it was certainly the greatest most intense sensation i could imagine (i was sure i had seen some sort of heaven exsistence), nearly all of my trips have shown how much illusion and chaos exsists in me brain.

oh yeah and all my dxm tripping temporarily cured some chronic depression i had, but replaced it with alot of noise that my brain decided to just learn to ignore. and then relearn to not ignore, and now learning to process it correctly...

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Re: To never "trip" ones entire life: A discussion [Re: truekimbo2]
    #2745934 - 05/30/04 08:34 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

that's like asking what if someone never had dream before? i mean say you had a bizarre dream, would it really effect your waking reality?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2745951 - 05/30/04 08:44 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Zakkly!

What about having gone to the grave without:

Surfing a 20 footer.

Wrestling an alligator.

Climbing Mt. Whitney.

Eating sushi.

Eating Britney.

Killing a man.

Playing in the SuperBowl.

Getting caught in a typhoon (happened to me! Yee-Haw!)

Flipping a car at 70mph.

Ad infinitum...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

Re: To never "trip" ones entire life: A discussion [Re: Swami]
    #2746110 - 05/30/04 11:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm no anthropologist but I gather from the literature I've seen on the subject [Wasson, Metzner, Mckenna, usw.] that human beings have sanctioned what we now call "tripping" and have had it as a part of everyday life and culture for a lot longer than they -> we have outlawed and trivialized the experience.

As an old friend who I'd never met said eloquently again and again, psychedelics are our birthright. :thumbup:

Your position is unerringly reductionist, Swami. You are being spoken, in my humbled opinion. :smirk:

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2746360 - 05/30/04 12:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I agree that a psychedelic experience is something to be experienced.  Just for the experience alone it is worth doing once. Depending on the person, it can open up to new insights and new thought patterns that might not have been there before the usage.  I would think that most people who are stable minded to do psychedelics would be a great idea!  I mean...I have learned so much about myself off of psychedelics.  I have been using them as a tool so I can better myself, way better than any shrink I've seen. 

of course you can't imagine what it would be like not to "trip" it's just how you are.  to other poeple it may not be as useful, as swami has pointed out some extreme situations to display this fact. 

On the flipside, I have heard people say they've gotten the same ideas without the drugs, but now and days it's getting tougher and tougher.  I say this because we are a society hellbent on being busy and not stopping for a second to take a really good look around.  Society has given us ideas of what a successful life is since we started school, and that is to make money!  TO have ideas and to really focus and limit the ego, this fast paced lifestyle a lot of people live doesn't even hint towards controlling the ego and living unconditional love.

another hting that really has shrooms in it's own class is ego loss.  To experience ego loss for the first time is so scary, but is also a learning experience.  I never really had an inkling of what the ego was until I lost it for a couple of hours.From there questions regarding my happiness started to arise.  I realized then that it isn't the external world that makes us unhappy, it is the internal one.  When my memories of myself left me, and all I was left with was awreness, I realize that my true self wasn't my personality or ego (since it can be erased, it isn't the true "self").  Bringing this back with me into sobriety, littloe by little I have been working towards changing my thoughts patterns, and using negative emotions as a guideline to bring myself into self awareness and serenity.

I used to be an athiest...then I started to become a believer.  after the shrooms, and other psychedelics, I realized that I really knew nothing at all, and that trying to say something definitive regarding of why I am here, and how this existence came to be, was really false.  Why?? because I don't know.  I struggled with this for a while, and then realized that if I jsut accept this premise of "I don't know"  I gained so much more that words cannot describe.

was this all the psychedelics?  of course not!  I did some work.  but they sure did help in a big way! :grin:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2746665 - 05/30/04 02:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I used LSD when I was a teen-ager quite a bit. I don't feel like my life was enhanced by that use.

I used LSD once when I was 32. I don't feel like my life was enhanced by that incident of use. I felt anxious during the "trip", the same as I feel when I take any drug, including too much caffeine.

Isn't it possible that some people are smart enough to "see" life differently without needing to ingest psychedelics?

I get new insights into life all the time, without tripping. Many times I read the results of someone's trip, and either I have already thought of that, wihtout tripping, or it just sounds like a dream someone had. A dream that has no bearing on real life.

I don't feel like I am missing out on anything.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinerepemon
journeyman
Re: To never "trip" ones entire life: A discussion [Re: Frog]
    #2746814 - 05/30/04 03:02 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I sometimes think about that too, because psychedelics give me information i kindof already know. It is just realizing everything.

But, you can realize more and less during a trip, while sober, I at least usually just come up with an idea, then think "Well this is a nice idea but..." . Psychedelics take the chain deeper if you really want, you can like see the whole system of the society infront of ur eyes while doing LSD for example, and you can solve the most crazy problems you ever had :smile: I'ts like being a machine for some hours and then coming back to the real world (or unreal, whatever :smile:, reprogrammed, but still in some of the old fit also :smile:

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: To never "trip" ones entire life: A discussion [Re: repemon]
    #2746894 - 05/30/04 03:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i thought i'd mention this: i don't believe in tripping as a way of life (unless you're a shaman/psychedelic healer), i do however believe the plants and fungi are powerful medicine given to us by the unknown (not to get into a whole debate, but i'm not including synthetics in that list, although i do believe they have thereputic/spiritual value). its the spiritual equivalent of cancer medication. its not good for you, but some poeple need it.

i don't know, i've been thinking about this a long time. some sort of adulthood psychedlic intiation may be good for the planet, but the present drug use in the country is probably not. i can't really comment on outside the country.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #2747016 - 05/30/04 04:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Positronius said:
"I cannot imagine a life without having done psychedelics at least once. "

well, maybe its time to consider the possibility that psychedelics have caused irreparable damage to your imagination.

seriously.....this is such an absurd idea, that someones life is in any way lacking because they havent ingested a certain chemical.

You missed my point.

You're right, there are countless experiences, and they all make up a life.  I can't imagine life without tripping just as I can't imagine life without having met my love, having grown up where I did...

The value of an experience is subjective, but I value my psychedelic experience at least for this reason: It has shown me not to believe everything I think.  It has shown me illusion. 

For that, this idea is not absurd.  I cannot imagine life without tripping because I place value on that experience.  And the same as I can't imagine life without having an older brother, loving music, realizing I like green tea... :smirk:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: To never "trip" ones entire life: A discussion [Re: Blastrid]
    #2747190 - 05/30/04 05:03 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Precisely, Blastrid!

I place emphasis on the psychedellic experience, and not any other experience, persay, because it has changed my life so much. If I had not done psychedelics today, I would have been a totally different person.

Sure, one can live their whole lives without playing in the superbowl, or eating sushi, but if one were to do such things, would it have as great of an impact as the psychedelic experience? Would it have any engrossed impact at all, other than superficial feelings of excitement?

I've felt emotions my ego would have never let me felt while using psychedelics. Like repemon said, psychedelics allow you to continue a strain of thought to its very end. With that condition, I subjected myself to extremely personal feelings on psychedelics, and have grown immensely from it. Using psychedelics for me was like digging out deeply rooted splinters which had long since become infected. They have made both my mind and my soul healthier. I don't think anything you can name can do that.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #2747652 - 05/30/04 09:13 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The people I know who trip are not better people than average, in my experience.  Some of them are weak and some of them are rude and some of them are psycho, myself included.  Maybe the only way it really _improves_ is for the people who do really big doses.  Isn't that what Terence McKenna says?  Everyone else is just a 'dabbler'.  Maybe being a dabbler with hallucinogens is not much better than being a dedicated pothead. 
I myself am going to do 6gs on June 8th which is maybe my biggest dose.  I'll let you know if this one fixes :egg:me:egg: but don't hold yer breath.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2747674 - 05/30/04 09:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I know many people who would not benefit from a powerful psychedelic experience.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #2747715 - 05/30/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Life itself is a trip you know, or was that just a cliche?

Onlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
    #2747788 - 05/30/04 10:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I just enjoy viewing everything objectively from a new, chemical induced perspective. Our 'sober' serotonin-filled brains do not seem to be able to process the same thought patterns or intensity, as a brain loaded with psilocin, or any psychedelic for that matter. By doing this, I can test almost any sober philosophical hypothesis on something, and view it from different 'angles' to get a seemingly more accurate perspective. As well, our serotonin-filled brains seem to have a stronger connection with the ego, so when we venture outside of that we are able to be aware of what our ego has blinded us from. The truth can become so blantantly apparent that I laugh at sober human beings, including myself prior to the trip.

Plus, it's almost like a workout for your brain. I've had trips with more thoughts per minute than I usually have in a month, and although it can be veeeerrry tiring, it almost seems to expand upon previous knowledge. I'm not saying they make you smarter, but they seem to untap information that hasn't surfaced in quite some time, and also allow you to used absolutly everything you know to create an objective perspective on anything. Things that sober people know, but generally disregard from their normal perspective like energy, atomic structures, lightwaves, chemical structures of our brain, how our perspection is created from past events and sensory input, and soooo much more some how can all be applied simultaneously to any and all thoughts. Sometimes it hurts my head though. :/

But yeah, they aren't necessary for anyone, but I feel they've done me only good. I don't blindly put faith into by altered realities of physchedelics, but I've learned also not to put faith in my serotonin enriched reality just the same. Some people benfit from these drugs, some probably don't. No one forces them on people, but when someone decides to use them, they can completely alter their view on existence. Whether it's real or not doesn't matter, for there is no way to objectively be aware of what's real without ceasing to exist.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: DXM, San Pedro, Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology