Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
heritagal pride
    #2743284 - 05/29/04 01:23 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

inspired by this thread

two simple questions this time (no fluff)

Does having pride in one's heritage inevitably lead to misunderstanding, segregation, and ultimately - prejudice?

...and...

Is it really more important to hang onto the past then it is to look ahead towards the future?

discuss

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: heritagal pride [Re: Muppet]
    #2743298 - 05/29/04 01:32 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yes and no... the first is an enevidable effect of society... if your family is racist, 90% chance you will be racist until you reach adulthood, and even then probally 50% chance you will remain racist.

as far as hanging on to the past? who hangs onto it? I dont.. the only way the past impacts my life is as a huge lesson to be learned, peice by peice, most of it irellevent to my current life...

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2743311 - 05/29/04 01:38 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

man, I'm german.

I cant be proud of shit without being either a fascist bigot or some faggoty leiterhosen-wearing dude that eats sausage and listens to polka.

my heritage blows. I wish I was from Asia. they got cool culture.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: heritagal pride [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2743339 - 05/29/04 01:54 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i like what someone asked in that thread, is culture inherently wrong? i would say yes from a world point of view, and no from a personal point of view.

being focused on any one culture fucks your brain up and makes you inflexible.

and carrying anything from a past thats not yours throughout your life isn't going to do you much good.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2743401 - 05/29/04 02:30 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I only take pride in accomplishments, not facts of my birth.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2743668 - 05/29/04 07:41 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm Swedish, Finnish, and Polish.. I tend to joke around about "Viking Pride/Viking Power/etc.", in regards to my Scandinavian heredity..
But to take my ethnic background to any level of seriousness that leads to elitism, is absurd.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: heritagal pride [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2743770 - 05/29/04 10:22 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I wish I had your background, for the same comedic value.. I mean, I've got a little french in me, but who wants to joke about being french? Oh wait...

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2744767 - 05/29/04 05:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The past doesnt exist, and yes pride can lead to foolish beliefs.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2744850 - 05/29/04 06:43 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

My thoughts are that "pride" in your birth is indeed absurd. However, respecting the past for what it becomes - the future - is not absurd. I responded alot in that thread you've posted.. it may seem I am a cultural nut just from it, but I really just hate when people downplay the significance of the past in any form.

I asked myself the question "Should reverence for the past get in the way of the future?" a long time ago, and said no. It is my answer still. But should all decisions be made according to the mindset of the society one lives in at the time? No, that is just as silly. Independant thought is, IMO, a very important part of decision making, but independant thinkers often clash. Decisions often affect many people at once..

As for the first question, yes, having *pride* in one's heritage inevitably leads to misunderstanding. But does respecting the past inevitably do that? No. All of our ancestors made many decisions, some good and some bad. They lived how they had to live to get by. Does that in any way diminish the fact that they lived before us? I'd say no.

Just as I love this planet, the ground, and the animals - i love the past which created me - all life is connected. Does my love for animals and plants and bacteria stop me from ending their lives for food or other purposes? No. The same goes for my reverence of my own past ( which possibly leads all the way back to everyone else's roots ). If I could live without eating or having an immune system, I would do it. If the future could progress without destroying the past - i would ignore the past. But as it stands - this is not the case.

( Also a side note: to relate the above to my own view, try to lump time into two categories - Now, and Not Now. The future and past may well be the same thing - there is what is going on around me, and that which rests within my memory, in the form of hopes, predictions, and recollections of the past )

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #2745116 - 05/29/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

>Does having pride in one's heritage inevitably lead to misunderstanding, segregation, and ultimately - prejudice?
-It certainly can. I think the thread you cited gave some examples of this, on both sides of the argument.

>Is it really more important to hang onto the past then it is to look ahead towards the future?
-My opinion is no. I could give reasons, but I think it's easier just to find someone who believes the opposite and observe there actions; draw your own conclusion.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: heritagal pride [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #2745788 - 05/30/04 04:54 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

not having pride in ones heritage is indicative of a disconnection from where you came from, and thats sad. I love my family history, and thus my heritage, because those were the people that fought and worked hard in order for me to have a life.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
    #2745817 - 05/30/04 05:26 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

as for me:

I come from many different backgrounds (most of which I actually know a great deal about) I can easily lay claims to my ancestral pride from any number of different heritages which contributed to the person I am - native american, Irish, Polish, German, and whatever else lurks in my far distant past - BUT I choose instead to dnounce all my own personal ancestory, and accept who I am (a human being) as my sole identity...

I don't do it because I know I come from a fairly diverse lineage (and therefor - can't truely claim any one of them, simply because none seem to be a large portion of what makes me 'me') I hold the beliefs I have because I personally feel an individual's present state of being is more important then all the many individuals of the past who contributed to their existance

after all - a calico is still a calico...regardless what sort of genetics contributed to it's current state of being

I (personally) feel that my genetics are not what make me the person that I am...and I believe that regardless what cards a person is initially dealt - they are still perfectly capable of bluffing their way into any position they choose to take on (e.g. no one is predeterminally destined to be any sort of person - we all have the ability to choose what type of individual we wish to become)

I find heritage to be just another archaic mind-set (much like racism) that does nothing but keep boundried between 'different' groups of people - boundries which I personally believe are causing more harm then good

I don't mean to bash on people that do actually take pride in their lineage, but from my point of view - we (as a people) should strive to quit focusing in on all the many different things that set us apart, and instead try our best to realize just how much we all really do have in common

cause I honestly can't see us being capable of working together as one if we can't even see eachother as one

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
    #2746322 - 05/30/04 12:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

live in the moment...pride sets ya up for a fall.....

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology