Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Desktop PC Build - What would be in your God Box right now? * 1
    #27429488 - 08/15/21 06:16 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I'm in the market for a new desktop PC.  My current setup has treated me unbelievably well for eleven flippin' years now.. which blows my mind because before this box, it seemed like every computer I'd had prior would only hold its muster for 2-4 years before I felt it was almost mandatory to rebuild.  And this box is actually still quite functional (after having upgraded the RAM, changing my OS drive to a solid state and replacing my video cards as one of them was driving a blue screen of death fault that took me forever to diagnose).  The major drivers of my current system:
  • Gigabyte X58A-UD7 motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 980X CPU
  • 24GB RAM
  • 2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 960's

I'm in my later 30's and have a 4 year old son, so I'm mostly using my computer for work these days, although I do like to cover my bases for the freedom in knowing I could do almost anything I wanted to on my box, if I really wanted to.  Realistically, these are the things my system MUST be able to do:
  • Support a minimum of 6 monitors (currently 3x @ 1920 x 1080 and 3x @ 1920 x 1200) for...
  • Stock trading via a memory intensive java based platform (TDAmeritrade's ThinkOrSwim)
  • 4K video editing
  • Would be cool to have an interface for music recording/editing as well (plug in the guitar, keyboard, etc)

Frankly, I want the best I can get of what is proven and reliable.  Budget is of minimal concern, more or less figuring ~$5K should do the trick, although that by no means is a hard target.

So what kind of hardware would you dream of running here? :strokebeard:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinegopherS
Coffee Bean Extraordinaire
I'm a teapot

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Desktop PC Build - What would be in your God Box right now? [Re: geokills] * 1
    #27429503 - 08/15/21 06:27 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Since I run GNU/Linux, id probably go for a System76

https://system76.com/desktops

--------------------
For most of the normies out there, an operating system is just a bootloader for Google Chrome.

Since Disney has obtained tremendous value from the public domain, knows how important the public domain is, and is firmly determined to never contribute anything to it.

My pronouns are He and Him, and my adjectives are Fat and Jazzy

:kratom:

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: Desktop PC Build - What would be in your God Box right now? [Re: geokills] * 1
    #27429504 - 08/15/21 06:27 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Gigabyte makes quality boards. I love their stuff.  Buy their higher end versions.

Get a top of the line intel chip.  I've never been a fan of AMD after all their years of fuckery.

nvidia quadro cards for that many monitors.  There may be other solutions out there but nvidia has always made a solid product.  The quadro series is their workstation/professional series. They are not 'designed for gaming' specifically but pack the same sort of punch.  You are going to have a hard time finding video cards right now in general, but it's mostly gaming level cards that are short. 

32G of RAM, but you could do 64 if you wanted to splurge but even 32 is excessive still. 

Get some nice SSD's, whatever the best your board supports.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Desktop PC Build - What would be in your God Box right now? [Re: gopher]
    #27429585 - 08/15/21 08:09 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

gopher said:
Since I run GNU/Linux, id probably go for a System76
https://system76.com/desktops

:whoa: Damn, those look sexy.  While I have seen and (scarcely) used some very familiar feeling Linux setups, I've never run one myself and I'm just not sure I'm ready to jump into a new domain, so to speak.  I've been running Windows for so damn long... I will do some more reading though, and as the majority of my close friends are linux users, I'll reach out to see what they think with regard to me utilizing my most necessary apps on such a system, and what the learning curve may be like for me.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

Onlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27429590 - 08/15/21 08:16 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

With DDR4 you can probably stick with 24gb or RAM, I have 32gb and even when I am running pretty heavy simulations in CAD i only manage to use up like half of it. Buy a decent motherboard that works with whatever architecture you want. I stick with Intel, but right now AMD is probably better unless you go to the extreme upper end Intel stuff. For six monitors obviously you are going to need a nice GPU, good luck there. Prices are stupid. Obviously you will want a motherboard that accommodates two GPU's. Find a nice big PSU, some NVME, and a case you like, and you are set.

Maybe it's just me, but building computers is easier than it has ever been. Head to PCPartPicker and go to town.

--------------------
Enjoy the process of your search without succumbing to the pressure of the result.

A Dorito is pizza, change my mind.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

I’m sorry it had to be me.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Desktop PC Build - What would be in your God Box right now? [Re: mndfreeze]
    #27429600 - 08/15/21 08:22 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mndfreeze said:
Get a top of the line intel chip.  I've never been a fan of AMD after all their years of fuckery.

If I go Intel, it looks like the Core i9-11900K is where I should land?  AMD Ryzen CPU's seem to really be kicking some ass though, mostly dominating on all the benchmarks I've looked at so far, and customer satisfaction seems stellar.  They also seem to be more efficient power wise.  What's your beef with AMD?  Just cause it took them so long to build a competitive chip?

Thanks for the rec on the nvidia quadro cards.  Gaming isn't my focus these days, so no worries there (although I do tend to defer to those cards since they tend to be the most capable).  From what I'm seeing, some of the more common Nvidia GeForce RTX cards are showing 1-4 weeks preorder lead time, which is not really an issue time wise for me.  But if the quadro cards can do what I need equally or better, that's cool.  Will definitely look into those.

I have been running into memory limitations on my 24GB when I have my trading platform active and multitask with other applications simultaneously.  It hasn't been catastrophic, but it has been annoying.  Memory is cheap enough that I want to overkill on this front for sure.

On SSD's, my curiosity has been piqued by the Gen 4 PCIe SSD's that read up to 7000MB/s and write up to 5300MB/s.  Will definitely be shooting for working together a setup that supports these guys.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Desktop PC Build - What would be in your God Box right now? [Re: geokills]
    #27429618 - 08/15/21 08:50 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Just came across this, which makes me lean towards AMD over the Intel chipset...

Quote:

Both the Ryzen 5000 and Rocket Lake chips come with PCIe 4.0 support, though it is noteworthy that Intel's chipset doesn't support the speedier interface. Instead, devices connected to Intel's chipset operate at PCIe 3.0 speeds, meaning you'll only have support for one PCIe 4.0 m.2 port on your motherboard, whereas AMD's chipset is fully enabled for PCIe 4.0.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Loc: Deep in the system Flag
    #27429756 - 08/16/21 12:14 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mndfreeze said:
Gigabyte makes quality boards. I love their stuff.  Buy their higher end versions.

nvidia quadro cards for that many monitors.  There may be other solutions out there but nvidia has always made a solid product.  The quadro series is their workstation/professional series. They are not 'designed for gaming' specifically but pack the same sort of punch.  You are going to have a hard time finding video cards right now in general, but it's mostly gaming level cards that are short. 

32G of RAM, but you could do 64 if you wanted to splurge but even 32 is excessive still. 

Get some nice SSD's, whatever the best your board supports.

I think this is pretty spot on. I'm the same about Intel chips - they've always treated me really well so I don't see any reason to jump into a new architecture.

I would definitely go 64GB on the RAM, and I much prefer ASUS boards to any other. I can definitely vouch for the Quadro cards, still running a couple in my PC back in England! SSD's FTW, with another large and reliable disk drive, possibly in RAID 1 if data is not backed up into the cloud.

What are you going to do case wise Geo?

I'm seriously digging the look on some of these new watercooled beasts...

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Desktop PC Build - What would be in your God Box right now? [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #27429775 - 08/16/21 12:49 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I've always used Intel myself, but if AMD is making a better chip these days (with the Threadripper series in particular looking rather epic for handling multitask and rendering operations), why not go with the best by real world performance metrics?  I'm not much of a brand loyalist, unless that brand is the Shroomery! :tongue2:

RAID sounds nice, I tried to run a software based RAID once but it had enough issues that I gave up on it and haven't looked back.  I have scheduled nightly backups to a USB 3.0 connected external, as well as nearly real time offsite/cloud backups, and I even occasionally pull a third backup of my most meaningful data to keep on another portable drive "just in case".  I haven't lost any data since my first drive failure back in the 90's. :biggrin:

I expect to be incorporating water cooling for my first time, but on cases I haven't done much research and I'm honestly not very picky.  Just something that can keep things cool and isn't so compact that I can't easily fix/swap something.  Plenty of space under my desk, and by virtue of it sitting under there, I won't often be looking at it anyway.

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

Onlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27429928 - 08/16/21 07:23 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Since DDR4 read/writes faster than the DDR3? you have, you can get away with less memory, and it seems like RAM requirements have more or less topped out for a lot of software these days. Except for like Chrome, which will inexplicably eat up 10gb easy at times. That said, adding more RAM just future proofs you.

I'd never put a mechanical drive in a computer again. Way easier to snap NVME right to the motherboard and add additional storage in SSD via Sata. If you need a big storage bank for something, buy a nice NAS like Synology and fill it up with cheap mechanical drives. I also don't see much point in raid for home PC's, even if you run it as a server, you won't likely get enough requests to need the extra data transfer. My NAS r/w's at 100mb/s. A full 4k video for example will need about 20mb/s to stream.

I think RAID is a poor means of data backup, but that's maybe just personal preference. A lot of people like Unraid as it allows you to hook up a bunch of random HD's to create a big storage bank. Convenient, yes, but if you are Windows guy you are out of luck there.

With my last build I did an open case. It's a silly little frame that was a pain in the ass to assemble, but it works really well once together. My PC stays in a closet with my NAS, scanner, and network gear. I have run all the cables through the wall to the back of the monitors and keyboard. It looks clean, but the the main thing was that there wasn't enough room to work on the computer inside the closet, the open case fixed that.

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Motherboard-Vertical-Overclocking-Dissipation/dp/B07ZGJP6ZF/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=open+computer+case&qid=1629120003&sr=8-2

--------------------
Enjoy the process of your search without succumbing to the pressure of the result.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

InvisibleCrazy_Horse
I’m Rick James, bitch!
 User Gallery

Loc: Hampsterdam
    #27429940 - 08/16/21 07:38 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I want this

AMD EPYC Genoa
96-cores (192 threads)
12-channel DDR5-5200
128 PCIe 5.0 lanes (160 for 2P)
320W TDP (cTDP 400W) 🔥
SP5 (LGA-6096) socket

--------------------

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Desktop PC Build - What would be in your God Box right now? [Re: geokills] * 2
    #27429960 - 08/16/21 07:59 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

My issue with AMD is they are generally not as competitive as a company.  Like they will come out with a single generation of chip that beats out intel once every 10 years then release hordes of budget garbage for the next 10.  Also, there are code optimizations that are CPU specific.  Like if you were to compile linux from source you can flag it to have specific intel arch stuff into the compiling, same for amd but you don't write the code.  So you are relying on all your software manufacturers like microsoft, your trading apps, etc all using either generic x64 coding for compatibility or writing in the arch specific code.  Intel is the 'standard' for the industry so most programming gets done with their specifications in mind.  I've always had less issues with intel stuf.  It just works, and well. 

AMD systems and chipsets are also NOTORIOUS for having garbage driver support.  ATI got their asses handed to them for years and years by nvidia not because ATI couldn't make a nice chip, but because ATI had some of the worst drivers I think I've ever seen.  Well, AMD owns ATI now.... 

AMD's new chips are pretty sexy though.  If budget was a concern I would def recommend them to someone, but since you said money isn't really the issue and you use your machine like a proper workstation I would build with industry standards and stability in mind.  I'd be hella pissed if I dropped 5 grand on a new bleeding edge PC for serious work and had ANY problems with it. 

I use nvidia cards for the same reason. They are pretty much the 'standard'.  Games/software always get written with them in mind for the most part.  ATI drivers are still garbage but not as bad as before.  Nvidia is stable and just works.  The quadro series is especially good at stability and scalability since they are business cards. 

The PCI 4.0 stuff is interesting.  I'm not sure I personally would change my entire architecture over it though.  That really depends on if you think you're legitimately going to be filling your system with those drives or not.  I still run old af SATA ssd's in my system. (9770k, nvidia 1080, 32RAM) and will prob just update to an nvme at some point soon, but rarely have felt like I was being slowed down by it.  OS still boots instantly pretty much, games load fast af. 

I'm with christopera also, RAID IS NOT A BACKUP METHOD.  It's nice for some failure cushion but a proper NAS backup device is best for that.  I do have a single mechanical drive in my system as just my 'data dump' place for shit that doesn't matter like pictures, movies, and such but eventually it will get removed and not replaced.  Kinda surprised its still running actually. I think it's the oldest part in my entire system.  It's like 6 years old at least.

For cooling you can do a fancy cooling system, but IMO I think they are too prone to failure to risk.  I have so many friends who had a leak spring up 2 years in, or have a pump die etc.  The all in one water cooling systems don't look as pretty but if you buy a nice one they generally last a long time.  I got about 5 years out of my corsair all in one watercooler before I had to swap it for a new one because I changed CPU generations. 

IMO, its important to engineer the tool properly for the need.  Needlessly adding more complexity adds more room for failure.  Over engineer it for its job, but dont add unnecessary toys if they can risk stability.  Kinda the same as this site.  It has so many years of whack little custom things in it that shit just breaks or can't be upgraded out of easily. lmao.

Core i9-11900K would be the chip I would choose also.  You may benefit from some of their server line of chips but that HIGHLY depends on your specific software and the cost will skyrocket astronomically.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

#27429972 - 08/16/21 08:10 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I don't recommend water cooling at all. You can achieve really good results with a case that has nice airflow and a shit ton of fans.

Also I think you don't really need a new GPU. He's got the funds for sure but a 2080 would be more than enough and he'd actually be able to find it. I don't think he wants to play every new game on Ultra 4k with the RTX running.

My biggest recommendation would be switching to m.2 and spending more time than he wants to looking at cases. And as much as I want to fanboy for AMD the top of the line Intel cpus would probably be a safer bet.

PCIe 4.0 is probably going to be standard on whatever new mobo he gets with the specs he's looking for, but I'm not exactly a motherboard expert there's like a million of the damn things out there.

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Desktop PC Build - What would be in your God Box right now? [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #27429974 - 08/16/21 08:14 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I recommended the quadros because he wants to run *6* monitors.  I don't think the normal geforce line can support 6 on one or even 2 cards.  Quadros are designed for big multimonitor workstation usage.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

#27429979 - 08/16/21 08:21 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Oh, right. I didn't think of that

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Desktop PC Build - What would be in your God Box right now? [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #27429981 - 08/16/21 08:22 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I just played around on the system76 site.  Those are some beefy machines.  I ran up a 10k tab REAL QUICK. lmao.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#27430373 - 08/16/21 01:54 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I got a $2500 gaming rig from 2016, watercooled, true hexcore, SSD's, back then it was quite something, now.. it still is!

I have zero incentive to get a new one even 5 years later. Everything I want to do on this beast it does EASILY.

Watercooled.

Really consider water cooling, its awesome.

SSDs + watercooled makes for a reliable computer that is as quiet during the hectic moments as during the calm ones, and that's very zen. The PC before it was like having a running chainsaw next to the screen that revved up when use intensified :grin:, I wanted a machine that wasnt just powerful buit QUIET. I can recommend it. Especially since you make big bucks on it, go for a -quiet- setup.

I'll follow this thread with interest to see whats state of the art now, but I'm good with my 2016 :awesomenod:

I wonder whether Ythan has a particular setup in mind for your specs.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Desktop PC Build - What would be in your God Box right now? [Re: Asante] * 2
    #27433616 - 08/18/21 08:23 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

So after a good few sessions of intensive reading with an attempt to strike close to the bleeding edge of consumer technology (with just a touch of practical restraint thrown in), I'm leaning toward the following system:

• Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X Processor (32X 3.7GHZ/128MB L3 Cache)
  • Processor Cooling: NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooling System w/ LCD Display
  • Memory: 64 GB [16 GB x4] G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200
  • Video Card: 2 x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - 10GB GDDR6X
  • Motherboard: ASUS PRIME TRX40-PRO S, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)
  • Storage: 2 x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen 4 SSD -- Gen 4 Read: 7000MB/s; Write: 5100MB/s
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  • Case: be quiet! Dark Base PRO 900 Tempered Glass
  • Power Supply: 1350 Watt - ENERMAX Platimax DF - 80 PLUS Platinum, Fully Modular

The above is a bit spendy @ ~$7,600, but not as spendy as similar System76 builds gopher advocated for above :tongue2:.

Any suggestions on how I could improve the aforementioned system, or reduce price point without sacrificing performance?

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

Onlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27433630 - 08/18/21 08:36 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Pirate Windows 10.

--------------------

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #27433758 - 08/18/21 11:14 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Looks sexy to me.  Good luck getting the 3080s. :frown:

Are two 3080's going to push 6 monitors?  I haven't looked at their backplane.  I know my 1080 will do 3 but I have to do it across different types of connectors and shit which causes its own weird problems.  Prob not much of an issue for non-gaming though.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck