Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedfwphotoguy
cameraologist
Loc: taking photos in DFW
Rain n DFW possible Pans?
    #2742715 - 05/28/04 10:02 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Please oh uber mushroom gods and goddessesseseses please let me have something. Or not.

Here goes.
habitat: Front yard in the rain next to a ditch. Yard smelled like it had just been fertilazed.

characteristics of gills: very dark brown not attached went all the way up to the top.

measurement of stem and cap: stems 2 inches, caps were from 1 inch to 3 inches

characteristics of stem: white, yellow, hollow,thin, would not snap when i bent it around finger

characteristics of cap:light brown to dark yellow brown in the middle.

spore print: doing now but very dark, dark brown to black

bruises: cap bruised what i would call dark brown at the edges. No blueing. The stem did not bruise even when pressed/squeezed hard.

scent: mushroomey at first but now, pretty Mc-nasty.

I picked these yesterday in somebodys yard while it rained, but the gills were of a light pink color in the rain. I put them under my seat and forgot untill today. Pulled them out and the gills were very dark and they reminded me of subs.

Only three so not much but I promise you all this, I WILL FIND MORE ACTIVES AS THE SEASON GOES ON THAN ANYONE IN TEXAS. I say that because this is so fun going out and looking.

bye!
N

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleYrtlzmo
Female
. [Re: dfwphotoguy]
    #2743438 - 05/29/04 02:56 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/07/13 11:40 AM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Rain n DFW possible Pans? [Re: dfwphotoguy]
    #2743587 - 05/29/04 05:30 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Your mushrooms are from the genus Agaricus, the same genus as the white button mushrooms you get at the grocery store. Many Agaricus species are excellent edibles, but there are also several poisonous species, so they should not be eaten indiscriminately. None of them are active.

Three of the most important key features for identifying Agaricus include odor, bruising color, and ring.

To determine odor the mushrooms should be pretty fresh, and yours look like they aren't any more, so you probably won't be able to accurately determine odor.

To determine bruising, cut one in half vertically, then scrape the inside with your knife edge hard enough to bruise the tissue. Color changes due to bruising can take up to an hour. Unfortunately, with Agaricus you're supposed to test bruising reactions while they're fresh, so (as with odor) you probably won't be able to be sure about the bruising.

When looking at the ring, we need to know if it's skirtlike, sheathing, or bandlike, or, in some species, absent. It's best to determine this with young specimens, but your second photo appears to show a skirtlike ring.

If you come up with some fresher specimens, please post about them and we can try more to ID them.

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification