Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: paradoxlost]
    #27403812 - 07/27/21 04:42 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Recycling.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlackrainbow2
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: right behind U
Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27412547 - 08/02/21 11:45 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

I have a buddy who has one and he says he is never going back to gas cars.. I agree with some issues brought up..it's a PR. job they are not clean...and we are just doing business with china instead of the Saudis.. I like the tec but it still has a way's to go; until the grid is clean solar wind etc..it is just again a transfer of wealth to another industry it went from Railroad co. to oil companies to tec companies.. prob just follow the players who own those companies and your find out they are the same families.. how are they going to charge you for the charging station.. will the electrical power get more expensive  As soon as we all switch over... or when ever they decide to charge more like the diesel prices skyrocketed once lots of people started driving diesel cars... but progress goes forward...

Offlineparadoxlost
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: Blackrainbow2]
    #27412683 - 08/03/21 05:57 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

I want to get a hydrogen car. Those things are supposed to whip.

But Blackrainbowz its not that simple. what happens when a critical mass of electrical cars make it economical to mine landfills.

--------------------
[quote]koods said:
Asante, I don’t think we should have any sympathy and should celebrate the deaths of antivax/antimask activists. They are responsible for far more American deaths than al Qaeda ever was. Every time one of them dies ther movement of death is weakened.ut[/quote]

[quote]koods said:
Chasing variants with vaccines is a dumb idea[/quote]

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: Buckomcdoogle] * 1
    #27420842 - 08/09/21 10:40 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

The drive train in electric cars doesn't really "break down". There is nothing to "work on". The battery will lose capacity over time, but the electric motor itself isn't going to just randomly "break down" without warning anytime soon. And, hypothetically, if it did it's called a dealership, my wife's leaf came with free towing and 24/7 roadside, even if it was just to a charging station because she ran out of charge.

The steering and suspension components are the same as IC cars. So I don't know what you mean by "rugged". If you can change a CV axle/tie rod end/low ball joint/shock on an IC car, you can change it on an electric car(and when you do have to work on its, it is SOOOO much cleaner and easier). It's not like I plan to go off roading in an electric car any more than I would in a toyota tercel.

My wife has owned/driven a nissan leaf in suburban/rural areas for years without much issue. Sometimes charging stations can be an issue in rural areas, but it just takes some planning if you veer from your day to day routine, but as long as you can fully/mostly charge your car overnight and its range is longer than you anticipate to use in one day, its a non-issue.

Her leaf as without a doubt been the lowest maintenance, most reliable, lowest cost to own, lowest headache car either of us have ever owned. No emissions bullshit to worry about or break, no oil changes, no transmission to fail, no spark plugs, no air filters, thanks to regenerative breaking the break pads last FOREVER, no seals to leak, no gaskets to blow, etc. And I say this as someone who does all the work on his cars himself. And it's a pleasure to drive, quiet, and pretty fucking snappy.

And I bold the transmission part, because for modern cars its the transmission failing which takes them off the road or causes the biggest repair bills, and is something most backyard mechanics can't handle. And this is why I would like to see hybrid cars with an small IC range extender, instead of the combined power trains we see today.

Low range electric cars aren't suitable for a families primary vehicle, but as a second vehicle they are fine....and now we are seeing electric cars with longer and longer ranges, and more and more charging stations are being built everyday.

The types of electric cars on the market has been dependent on the targeted demographics, and where charging stations are built depends on level of electric car ownership. As you see the "machismo" resistance to electric vehicles fade, you will see "rugged" electric cars and trucks just like IC cars, as more consumers in suburban/rural areas buy electric cars more charging stations will be built.

There is NOTHING about electric vehicles which makes them more frail, if anything they are more reliable as there are FAR fewer components to fail, fewer moving parts, and they don't have to stand up to the stress of being inside an engine compartment.

Edited by Holybullshit (08/09/21 11:04 AM)

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
    #27420870 - 08/09/21 11:03 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
20% of buyers return to gas sounds a lot like 80% of electric owners figured it out.

And I bet the vast majority of those 20% of drivers had either bought one of the early, low range, electric cars...or they just went back to IC because it is cheaper.

Or what if they bought a hybrid/plug-in, does that count as a return to IC cars?(I would assume we are only talking about fully electric here).

Offlineparadoxlost
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: Holybullshit]
    #27421999 - 08/10/21 01:55 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Electric cars are inefficient in that if you run out of fuel 100 miles from the closest gas station, it's easier to carry a 5 gallon tank of gas out to the car then to get a battery with enough charge to charge the battery. I am VERY interested in electric motors. Now that is a different monster all together. The military came out with a troop transport that had an electric motor that ran off of a small diesel generator that powered a quick  discharge, graphene super capacitor. This shit got like 1000 mpg diesel and could move like a dozen troops plus multiple turrets. With a diesel engine you can now use biodiesel and get a carbon fixing fuel, rather then a carbon neutral fuel source. Because electric cars don't really solve the problem of no fossil fuels for transportation. They just deal with the problem of modular fuel sources.

And then the other issue is mining. I mean this isn't an issue with vehicle preference, but incentives. Yea probably electric cars could incentivize landfill mining more, but probably not until a lot of mountains are 100% gone.

That's the thing with biodiesel, you don't destroy mountains. Yes, it does take up a lot of land, but when you want to stop, you stop. Mining is like permanent damages, although some of the reclemation isn't terrible. Unforntunately lithium mining is its own worst nightmare of mining. Like, it is not gold mining AT ALL. It's wayyyy worse for the environment then even oil drilling. But localized. And then if you want to go into the energy density of a hydrocarbon based fuel source vs electropontial gradients. Combustion is just more powerful/unit of weight of fuel. Maybe not when graphene gets into the mix, but yea. This is just an argument against FORCING people to go all electric.

--------------------
[quote]koods said:
Asante, I don’t think we should have any sympathy and should celebrate the deaths of antivax/antimask activists. They are responsible for far more American deaths than al Qaeda ever was. Every time one of them dies ther movement of death is weakened.ut[/quote]

[quote]koods said:

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: paradoxlost]
    #27423727 - 08/11/21 06:12 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Why would you run out of "gas" 100 miles from the closest "gas station"....that's just poor planning on your part. And I mean...how many people do you really think drive around with gas cans full of gas in their trunks???(let alone 5 gallon ones) This same scenario applies to IC cars for the VAST, VAST majority of people.

Your argument only apply to stupid people...you are right, stupid people may find it difficult to own an electric car. It essentially boils down to "electric cars are bad because you can't drive them out into the desert on half a charge"

Electric car technology is also evolving, and it may not be long before the magnets used can be made mostly from iron...as far as lithium, that's not how lithium is mined...

I haven't seen anything about "forcing people" to go electric. And it's likely to reduce carbon emissions we are going to have to adopt a plurality of transportation technologies, including bio-diesel, which can be paired with electric motors and batteries in hybrid vehicles for increased efficiency.

I think you will find that plug-in hybrids are the dominant "electric" car of the future...not full on electrics, but that doesn't mean that full on electric cars shouldn't be produced and sold...

You are grasping as straws.

Edited by Holybullshit (08/11/21 06:22 AM)

InvisibleMinion
Torque
 User Gallery

Loc: Jesusland
Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: Holybullshit]
    #27426723 - 08/13/21 11:27 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Anybody else blueprinting a battery charger from a stationary bike?

Might want to get on that. Especially u Californions with your rolling blackouts.

EVs are the future.  Koreans r ahead of Tesla. Polymer batteries,  solar roof charger, genuine automatic transmissions, highest hybrid MPG rating. LIFETIME warranty Hybrid Ioniqs are actually built on EV platforms.

Heavy trucks are transitioning to hybrid tech. Trains have always been hybrids. Class 6-4 hybrids are showing up on CL and have retrofitting options now. 1 tons are actually behind because that’s the big 3s money makers. Over $100,000.00 for a pick up? Ok boomers. Half tons have been hybrid options and Ford is all over with their new UNDERRATED EV.

--------------------
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, set it on fire.

OfflineBlackrainbow2
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: Minion]
    #27429791 - 08/16/21 01:37 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Anybody else blueprinting a battery charger from a stationary bike?

Might want to get on that. Especially u Californions with your rolling blackouts.
(no that is what dirty diesel generators and battery banks are for).. or solar panels...
EVs are the future.  (no they are not  the free (almost)energy of nuclear reactors are the future..)  because that electricity source is unrivaled so far.. Koreans r ahead of Tesla.  Polymer batteries,  solar roof charger, genuine automatic transmissions, highest hybrid MPG rating. LIFETIME warranty Hybrid Ioniqs are actually built on EV platforms. (no they they are not(since they are not being sold in the US like Tesla's are) I'd guess the Chinese are ahead of the Koreans.. in manufacturing and marketing ability's alone

Heavy trucks are transitioning to hybrid tech. Trains have always been hybrids. Class 6-4 hybrids are showing up on CL and have retrofitting options now. 1 tons are actually behind because that’s the big 3s money makers. Over $100,000.00 for a pick up? Ok boomers. Half tons have been hybrid options and Ford is all over with their new UNDERRATED EV.

I agree with you on some of your points but it's just a wealth transfering and emissions reduction bait and switch..until the grid is clean (nuclear)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: Blackrainbow2] * 1
    #27429907 - 08/16/21 06:35 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Power plants are orders of magnitude more efficient than burning fuel in a car.

Charging a EV off a coal grid is still a huge improvement

InvisibleMinion
Torque
 User Gallery

#27429961 - 08/16/21 08:00 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Well charging a battery with a stationary bike is free and practical for someone that exercises. Pro nuclear is an unusual angle but my future isn’t tied to the grid I have nothing good to say about grid power.

Koreans are ahead of the EV game, they just aren’t scaled up like Tesla. Koreans are still tied up making hybrids among other machines.

Used EVs are another facet Id like to throw out. I’d feel more comfortable purchasing a used EV over gas/diesel powered car of the same miles. There’s too many areas of failure that manifest due to lack of maintenance. When was the last time someone changed their o2 sensors because it was time. Or for that matter ATF ?  A used EV is safer bet than a used car.

--------------------

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #27430210 - 08/16/21 11:25 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Nuclear could be the future. There's so many designs that are smart enough to mitigate danger enough to be a good decision as a species to go forward with them. Canada has some amazing technology in that area.

Tesla is dumb shit that Americans love. At least the ball is rolling and they're helping but eventually tesla will have to get their shit together and offer something approachable and utilitarian

InvisibleMinion
Torque
 User Gallery

#27430320 - 08/16/21 01:05 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:Tesla is dumb shit that Americans love. At least the ball is rolling and they're helping but eventually tesla will have to get their shit together and offer something approachable and utilitarian

Low powered utilitarian EVs are on the used market. I’ll post ads to the next ones I run across. Jeep maybe on to a more robust EV, but I’m not holding my breath there. They’ve really made some questionable arrangements in their tiny Wrangler engine bays:  v8s,  v6 diesels and a 4 banger that requires medium or premium. :thumbdown: 

Jeep is the only (future) EV manufacture that has a dozen different gear ratios, on the shelf, to choose from.  They really have no excuse for failure.

--------------------

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #27430351 - 08/16/21 01:40 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I think ford has the potential to do well but time will tell

InvisibleMinion
Torque
 User Gallery

#27430411 - 08/16/21 02:19 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Fords truck EV range was calculated with 1000 lbs in the bed. So owners are squeezing out an additional 100 miles over EPA ratings.

I’m hopeful for a few reasons:

* Built on existing platform
**That platform utilizes only aluminum body
**Aftermarket support is already abundant
* Most Ford part time 4x4s age better than competitors
**Aftermarket for the 4x4 system is already better than trucks 2 decades older.

The electric car. “Mustang Mach E”

Received way too much criticism. Die hards decried the use of the Mustang name despite the sales being higher and performance creeping up on the latest mustang gassers.

This may pay off. There isn’t much going on with it’s big 3 competition and the smokey/hazey sky’s will keep reminding people: Maybe we should try to reduce pollution.

--------------------

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #27430484 - 08/16/21 03:42 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

The mustang EV is the first mustang I would consider buying vs all the boomer shit, midlife crisis on wheels, hot wheel toy shit they've been doing.

InvisibleMinion
Torque
 User Gallery

#27430512 - 08/16/21 04:11 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
The mustang EV is the first mustang I would consider buying vs all the boomer shit, midlife crisis on wheels, hot wheel toy shit they've been doing.

So true. I’m not even going to start. So many complaints, so little time. :mad2: :cuteshit:

--------------------

OfflineBlackrainbow2
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27432610 - 08/18/21 01:34 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Do not get me wrong..I'm not Pro nuke power.. I'm just saying in the future.. realistically it has the best potential so far for a energy source.. that is clean.. checks all the boxes as far a efficiency but when they melt down malfunction it's a mess and the bi products spent fuel rods and cooling waters are also a huge negative points.. locations near fault lines and coastal areas ..all bad..I'd rather not have them.. I'd rather use solar panels... geo thermal wave and water energy..but the bait and switch.. I'm getting at is  the marketing of it being so clean .. when it's not.. Mining lithium metal to make Li ion batteries is a dirty business..strip mining and smelting transportation carbon foot print sending the raw materials  to china and back across then oceans..  I'd love a little electric car..for running to town back and forth to work...but I'm concerned about..a few facts.. I've transported a lot of cargo in my gas 2500  I've hauled a lot of heavy loads.. and transported it 200 miles one way.. in a day.. Time is money waiting to charge a battery for a extra hour will not sit well...and so people will need to own two or three cars to fill the nich they need.. the electric car is coming but it reminds me of the solar panels in the 70's..how that tec was dragged down, by the grid companies.. another point my 1988 ranger is still on the road.. wonder if the electric car will last as long...

InvisibleMinion
Torque
 User Gallery

Re: Electric cars are impractical. Change my mind. [Re: Blackrainbow2]
    #27432699 - 08/18/21 05:43 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I'd own a small nuclear reactor to power my mobile home, if I knew what I was doing, but I flunked chemistry.  So I'll stick to scaling up off grid power in small increments like the rest of humanity should be doing, but is not.

Lithium mining is dirty, but the drama behind the "Tiehm’s buckwheat" is dangerous and hyperbolic.  (In the context of the climate scientists latest assumptions)

--------------------

Offlineparadoxlost
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27443521 - 08/26/21 08:37 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Minion said:
I'd own a small nuclear reactor to power my mobile home, if I knew what I was doing, but I flunked chemistry.  So I'll stick to scaling up off grid power in small increments like the rest of humanity should be doing, but is not.

Lithium mining is dirty, but the drama behind the "Tiehm’s buckwheat" is dangerous and hyperbolic.  (In the context of the climate scientists latest assumptions)

fuck yea dude, you heard about the Tiehm's buckwheat. I wouldnt be surprised if Musk personally did it

--------------------
[quote]koods said:

[quote]koods said:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order