Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
LSD Self Administrative Director
Male User Gallery

What would YOU do in my situation? ($2k-$3k to invest)
    #27411050 - 08/01/21 08:16 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

I want to invest at least $2,000 but no more than about $3,000. Maybe a little more than $3k. I have about 10k in the bank right now. I'm 35. I'm going to be moving into my parents place and paying them $200/month rent. I plan to go back to school and I don't want to take out any loans. I plan to apply for as many scholarships as I can. I want to study biochemistry, do a phd hopefully, and work with psychedelic drugs in research.

Right now I'm reading Stock Investing for Dummies and I still need to read the sticky thread on learning about stocks. I haven't had this kind of money since 2008 before the recession. I should have invested some of the money back then, I never thought of it and I fucked it all up instead. But NOW I'm going to learn and start investing because my life is no joke and I'm already nearly halfway through the best time of life.

Also, I've heard that the American economy is practically all dried up and there's no more room for any real growth like there was in the 90s and early 2000s. I've heard that a lot of top investors are investing in Indian (and other middle east countries) and Chinese companies because there's still a lot of room for growth there and those countries are emerging. Is it safe to invest in these countries companies and do any of you have experience trading foreign companies?

--------------------

Edited by OutsideOfMyMind (08/01/21 08:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Armchair Anarchist
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Coast 2 Coast Flag
Re: What would YOU do in my situation? ($2k-$3k to invest) [Re: OutsideOfMyMind]
    #27411063 - 08/01/21 08:24 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Time frame is important when investing. If you planning on using that money for school within 2 years or so, you are better to just keep it in cash, or buy a 18 month Certificate of deposit or something.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
Male User Gallery

Re: What would YOU do in my situation? ($2k-$3k to invest) [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #27411067 - 08/01/21 08:28 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

What about day trading? I won't be able to go to school the first year because I need to wait in order to pay in-state tuition. I'll go to a junior college first. So I'm looking at at least three years before I go to university.

--------------------

Edited by OutsideOfMyMind (08/01/21 09:11 PM)

OTD Armchair Anarchist
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What would YOU do in my situation? ($2k-$3k to invest) [Re: OutsideOfMyMind] * 1
    #27411135 - 08/01/21 09:30 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

98% of day traders lose money. You are better off putting it on the roulette wheel.

--------------------

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
Male User Gallery

Re: What would YOU do in my situation? ($2k-$3k to invest) [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #27411139 - 08/01/21 09:37 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

So there's really nothing that I can do except put it in an account and fucking stare at it? Cod's have really low return rates. So all that talk about how you only need one or $2,000 to get started in stocks is a bunch of bullshit?

--------------------

Edited by OutsideOfMyMind (08/01/21 09:38 PM)

OfflineHikeadellic
Fungi Fan
Male

Loc: Appalachian Trail
Re: What would YOU do in my situation? ($2k-$3k to invest) [Re: OutsideOfMyMind]
    #27411153 - 08/01/21 09:46 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

If you want to day trade it can be profitable but you need to understand that there are risks involved.

If you don't have any experience trading and do not want to lose the money, you might want to try practicing on paper trades first.

If you are ok at math, you can check out options trading. Options add additional risk/reward.

It all depends on your personal risk tolerance

OTD Armchair Anarchist
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #27411154 - 08/01/21 09:46 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

What are you expected rate of return for that?

The S&P500 has averaged about 12% annually. On $2,000 that's like $240 in 12 months. You might as well pick up two shifts delivering pizza.

If you want to blow it on crypto, meme or penny stocks and swing for the fences, you absolutely can, but you need to have realistic expectations especially when you plan on using the money in the immediate future.

--------------------

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
Male User Gallery

#27411162 - 08/01/21 09:59 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

All of these would return me the same amount I would get putting it in a cod.

I guess I'll just focus on going to school and working yay fun. Great society we live in.

--------------------

Edited by OutsideOfMyMind (08/01/21 09:59 PM)

InvisibleNothingsChangedS
Striving for Excellence
Male User Gallery

Loc: North/Western WA Flag
    #27411250 - 08/01/21 10:39 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

If you hurry you may be able to get in on this? May be to late for quick returns? I got in with 3 grand last year (couple companies), but i'm in for the long haul.

https://psilocybinalpha.com/psilocybin-stocks-shroom-stocks

--------------------

OfflineGrungeman17
Male

Loc: usa Flag
Re: What would YOU do in my situation? ($2k-$3k to invest) [Re: NothingsChanged]
    #27411330 - 08/01/21 11:49 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

Invest in sports cards, buy at card shows sell online and hunt retail boxes at stores, get in circles and groups about it there's major jack to be made. Just like anything else Do Diligence is the most important thing. Betting mma fights really having to watch ot and get into it knowing what your doing but you can make a 100$ 3 fight parlay pay theee fuck out...if you pick the right card and the right bets, more research... If you ever want to straight gamble craps offers the best house edges typically in a casio with more do Diligence... buy some cacti seeds and get them in the dirt and going some seed grown Australian strains fetch over 200 a plant.

--------------------

OfflineHikeadellic
Fungi Fan
Male

Loc: Appalachian Trail
Re: What would YOU do in my situation? ($2k-$3k to invest) [Re: Grungeman17]
    #27411334 - 08/01/21 11:56 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

Maybe try flipping items like appliances or cars?

OTD Armchair Anarchist
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What would YOU do in my situation? ($2k-$3k to invest) [Re: OutsideOfMyMind] * 2
    #27411471 - 08/02/21 04:39 AM (2 months, 13 days ago)

Quote:

NothingsChanged said:
If you hurry you may be able to get in on this? May be to late for quick returns? I got in with 3 grand last year (couple companies), but i'm in for the long haul.

https://psilocybinalpha.com/psilocybin-stocks-shroom-stocks

I'm in some shroom stocks, but they make up a very small chunk of my overall portfolio.

Quote:

OutsideOfMyMind said:
All of these would return me the same amount I would get putting it in a cod.

I guess I'll just focus on going to school and working yay fun. Great society we live in.

Your biggest wealth building tool is going to be your income until you get a networth of over $1-3million in investable assets. Investing in your education and career like you are planning is going to be the best return on investment.

--------------------

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
Male User Gallery

#27411997 - 08/02/21 05:13 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

Thanks.

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#27412089 - 08/02/21 06:23 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

I think some good advice has been given.  I'd encourage you to think about your goals.  Are you interested in long term investing/retirement?  or something else.  For the latter, it's important to keep in mind traditional investing returns which hover around %10. 

Ideally, you want to establish a steady income stream and have regular investments, often this comes in the form of a 401k or some other retirement plan. 

My only other advice is to consider your time horizons. The PhD route is going to take you (roughly) 4 years of undergad, about 5 of grad school, and another 3-5 of a post doc before you make any substantial money.  This is OK, just remember to start investing early since your schooling may put you a bit behind.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
Male User Gallery

Re: What would YOU do in my situation? ($2k-$3k to invest) [Re: badchad]
    #27412122 - 08/02/21 07:00 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

Are there any significant options for long-term investing with the kind of money I have?

--------------------

OTD Armchair Anarchist
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What would YOU do in my situation? ($2k-$3k to invest) [Re: OutsideOfMyMind] * 1
    #27412174 - 08/02/21 07:35 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

There is nothing wrong with buying a total market ETF, S&P500, Nasdaq QQQ or something similar. It's probably the best move an individual investor can make to simply get the market return with low fees.

Or buy a single stock and see how it goes. The biggest thing when you first start to invest is finding your risk tolerance and what will let you sleep at night. If you are fine with losing a third your investment in like 21 days, that happened in March 2020 with the major indexes. It was fucking chaos. But sharp crashes will happen once a decade or so.
But in the next 18 months, the S&P has almost doubled.

If you are in individual stocks it can be even sharper or faster. Small cap, penny stocks can lose half their value in a day. GPN was down 11% today. That's a big company 50Billion market cap. It can happen where ever you park your money.
Shit like utilites, Verizon doesn't usually have much capital appreciation, but can give you a 4-5% dividend yield. It doesn't move much and is easy to stomach when you are starting out.

https://finviz.com/map.ashx

Sniff around and do some reading on what companies do and what you think future trends are unappreciated or undervalued. I think that electrification, infrastructure and renewables will lead to a major boom in commodities and have been putting some money to work in miners, but who knows.

Investing is a lot like going to the gym. The longer and more regular you contribute the better the gains. The individual program you follow is kind of secondary to consistency.

You don't know what single stock is going to hit and payout big. You just kind of try a few things and stay with it. Put your best ideas out there and see what happens.

Risk is return and return is risk. If you want a sure thing, go to work. If you want to get rich quick, slang dope on the street or hit the dice.

--------------------

OnlineEnkidu
"No-Such-Person"
Male

#27412422 - 08/02/21 11:03 PM (2 months, 12 days ago)

Trading and investing are slightly different

You can do either, or both

Depending on how committed you are, you can learn to trade if you want to.

If you want to invest, you need to simply find companies that you think will be very bullish and important in the future

They have a few India etf's, but investing or trading or swing trading in a few select companies can potentially be more rewarding but riskier

Rare earth, EV sector, semiconductors, AI, genomics, potentially bullish sectors for the future.

Short term vs long term and timing as mentioned are huge.

Market has been choppy though continually climbing. Lots going on in economy etc. Influencing the market.

My advice would be take some time to research and learn. Watch videos on investing and trading and videos discussing market and market conditions.

I'd leave the books for now and get current relative information going on right now.

If you choose to invest, then get in stocks and sectors you believe in. Maybe DCA into crypto as well.

What's the time frame on your investment? Because investing now carries the risk that if you want the money immediately then you may have to take a loss to get it. That potential is there.

Being able to read the market and a chart can help you better see what's going on giving you an advantage.

If you are good with not seeing this money, I'd invest it and start learning to trade and practice trading with a paper money account.

Buy some stocks and some crypto, small starter position, then slowly add to them as long term investments while you learn.

Safest place to put money is in etf's as opposed to choosing your own stocks, but it's all risk vs reward and the risk your willing to take should depend on your willingness to learn and lose and the level of knowledge you have on what you're doing.

Maybe start with investing $500 and save the rest just to get a feel for things for a while

Your strategy to investing and trading should come down to your goal, timeframe, and how hands on you're willing to be

--------------------
Within You , Without You

:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

Offlinemaui
    #27427278 - 08/13/21 10:45 PM (2 months, 1 day ago)

removed

Edited by maui (08/13/21 10:50 PM)

OfflineSaint Myco
Stranger
Re: What would YOU do in my situation? ($2k-$3k to invest) [Re: maui]
    #27465690 - 09/12/21 04:29 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Buy one SPY call option 560 October 13

OfflineLoaded Shaman
Psychophysiologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Now O'Clock
    #27468805 - 09/15/21 02:24 AM (1 month, 20 hours ago)

25% PMs
25% Stocks
25% Crypto
25% Liquid

--------------------

"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." - Blaise Pascal

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance." — Confucius

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale