Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinekingsiZemidget
 User Gallery

My Jiffy Mix Casing experiment.
    #27407949 - 07/30/21 12:52 AM (4 months, 4 days ago)

Welp.  I finally decided to confront my fear of casing PE's.  Have not yet started making my own casing, that's what I'll be educating myself on next.

So I read a lot about Jiffy Mix meeting most of the requirements for a standard casing.  Figured I'd go with that.  I read several threads about Jiffy Mix, pasteurizing methods, and all that.  Some say use the stove... some say the microwave, some say straight from the bag.  So I figured I'd just try them all.

EXPERIMENT: Once mycelium was well-colonized, I cased...

-6 12 quart shoe boxes cased with classic stove top pasteurization.
-6 12 quart shoe boxes cased with microwave pasteurization.
-6 12 quart shoe boxes cased with unpasteurized mix, just hydrated.
-1 12 quart shoe box cased with Jiffy straight from the bag, not even hydrated....cuz why not?... I wanted to see what would happen.

RESULTS: 

-of the 6 stove top pasteurized boxes, 1 got trich.
-of the 6 microwave pasteurized boxes, 1 got trich.
-of the 6 unpasteurized, hydrated boxes, 1 got trich.
-the one that was straight from the bag unhydrated did fine. Probably
should have done six of those as well.

I caught the trich early on all 3 contaminated boxes, cut it out, and managed to get 1 or 2 flushes out of them.  I was pretty happy about that.

WHAT DID I LEARN?:

Nothing.. I learned nothing.  They all performed the same.  However, I did get over my fear of casing PE.  It really does help.  Significantly reduced blobbyness.  I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, but thought I'd share my experience.

Oh..Hey...Does anyone know if Jiffy Mix would be an acceptable casing for Pan Cyan? I really want to mess with some of those.

-Much love, Weirdos
KSM0

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineMushBrain1
Poppin Fresh Pillsbury Doughboy
 User Gallery

Re: My Jiffy Mix Casing experiment. [Re: kingsiZemidget]
    #27407972 - 07/30/21 01:34 AM (4 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

kingsiZemidget said:
Welp.  I finally decided to confront my fear of casing PE's.  Have not yet started making my own casing, that's what I'll be educating myself on next.

So I read a lot about Jiffy Mix meeting most of the requirements for a standard casing.  Figured I'd go with that. 

-1 12 quart shoe box cased with Jiffy straight from the bag, not even hydrated....cuz why not?... I wanted to see what would happen.

RESULTS: 

KSM0

Hey please advise how thick a dry layer of Jiffy Mix?  My 2 PE from Liquid Spore culture is just blobs.  I cased when I inoculated just enough to cover the rice grains.  I only used 1:3 Rice to CVG, next batch 1:1.

I read I should clone a strong real Shrume from 2nd flush if that is the only real shrume I can get.  What happens if you clone Blobs? 
Does this tub look healthy?  What about the spots.  I see shrumes forming!  I must mist to keep the moisture up, and I am afraid to cause aborts.  The hole is where I saw a Fungus Gnat land and immediately burrow in, so I pinched his Ass outta there!
Please advise.

Edited by MushBrain1 (07/30/21 01:54 AM)

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My Jiffy Mix Casing experiment. [Re: MushBrain1]
    #27408161 - 07/30/21 09:24 AM (4 months, 4 days ago)

Jiffy is perfect for pans, I usually mix a bunch of extra verm in though.

With PE you want like an inch of casing.

I got progressively lazier with jiffy, at this point I just grab a handful from the bag and sprinkle it all over cuz it’s so much easier when it’s dry. Then once I have enough on there I spray it down with a spray bottle.

Never had problems yet.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Invisiblearpeggiator
Surprisingly Coherent
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hyperspace
Re: My Jiffy Mix Casing experiment. [Re: A.k.a]
    #27408186 - 07/30/21 09:56 AM (4 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

A.k.a said:

I got progressively lazier with jiffy, at this point I just grab a handful from the bag and sprinkle it all over cuz it’s so much easier when it’s dry. Then once I have enough on there I spray it down with a spray bottle.

Never had problems yet.

So you don't even have to pasteurize it if you're applying it after full colonization?

--------------------

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My Jiffy Mix Casing experiment. [Re: arpeggiator] * 1
    #27408202 - 07/30/21 10:13 AM (4 months, 4 days ago)

Well...you should, it’s an added risk.

I think I can get away with stuff like this more than other people because it’s extremely dry here. Like Faht I think said he’s found mold in a new bag of jiffy multiple times.

--------------------
LAGM2020

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27408204 - 07/30/21 10:14 AM (4 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

MushBrain1 said:
Quote:

kingsiZemidget said:

So I read a lot about Jiffy Mix meeting most of the requirements for a standard casing.  Figured I'd go with that. 

RESULTS: 

KSM0

Hey please advise how thick a dry layer of Jiffy Mix?  My 2 PE from Liquid Spore culture is just blobs.  I cased when I inoculated just enough to cover the rice grains.  I only used 1:3 Rice to CVG, next batch 1:1.

I read I should clone a strong real Shrume from 2nd flush if that is the only real shrume I can get.  What happens if you clone Blobs? 
Does this tub look healthy?  What about the spots.  I see shrumes forming!  I must mist to keep the moisture up, and I am afraid to cause aborts.  The hole is where I saw a Fungus Gnat land and immediately burrow in, so I pinched his Ass outta there!
Please advise.

I don’t think you’ll have better results as far as blobs go with a 1:1.. might even be worse actually.  One theory about the cause of blobbing is fruits developing near high nutrition sources, so upping the grain amount isn’t going to help with that.  If you really don’t want to use a peat based casing, ppl are having some success with using a 2” thick, compressed top layer of CV… that plays into the theory I stated above.  It puts a 2” layer between the nute source and the fruiting surface

If you go the peat casing route, use a 1-1.5” thick layer. 

I don’t think it matters if you clone a blob or not.. the dynamics of the casing/top layer keep blob genetics from blobbing.  So even if you cloned a regular looking fruit, if you didn’t use a thick casing/top layer, you might still get blobbing (most of the time)… not to say you shouldn’t clone a regular fruit, but if blobs are all you have for cloning options, don’t let that stop you from cloning.

Can’t remember if I posted this to you or not but here’s Tedsdead casing strategy

Faht

Invisiblearpeggiator
Surprisingly Coherent
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hyperspace
Re: My Jiffy Mix Casing experiment. [Re: A.k.a]
    #27408227 - 07/30/21 10:41 AM (4 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

A.k.a said:
Well...you should, it’s an added risk.

I think I can get away with stuff like this more than other people because it’s extremely dry here. Like Faht I think said he’s found mold in a new bag of jiffy multiple times.

:lol: Well it's humid as fuck where I am so I'll be sure to pasteurize it whenever I grow PE. Thanks AKA!

--------------------

OfflinekingsiZemidget
 User Gallery

#27409570 - 07/31/21 03:01 PM (4 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

MushBrain1 said:
Quote:

kingsiZemidget said:

RESULTS: 

KSM0

Please advise.

Quote:

MushBrain1 said:
Quote:

kingsiZemidget said:

RESULTS: 

KSM0

Please advise.

Quote:

kingsiZemidget said:

So I read a lot about Jiffy Mix meeting most of the requirements for a standard casing.  Figured I'd go with that.  I read several threads about Jiffy Mix, pasteurizing methods, and all that.  Some say use the stove... some say the microwave, some say straight from the bag.  So I figured I'd just try them all.

RESULTS: 

I caught the trich early on all 3 contaminated boxes, cut it out, and managed to get 1 or 2 flushes out of them.  I was pretty happy about that.

WHAT DID I LEARN?:

Nothing.. I learned nothing.  They all performed the same.  However, I did get over my fear of casing PE.  It really does help.  Significantly reduced blobbyness.  I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, but thought I'd share my experience.

Oh..Hey...Does anyone know if Jiffy Mix would be an acceptable casing for Pan Cyan? I really want to mess with some of those.

-Much love, Weirdos
KSM0

Quote:

MushBrain1 said:
Quote:

kingsiZemidget said:

RESULTS: 

KSM0

Please advise.

I'm no expert, but I just used enough casing to cover all the white.  After a few days, if the mycelium grew threw, I'd just kinda patch it with a little more.  Probably started with 1/2 inch-ish.  Maybe a little thicker where I patched the myc.  And, don't sweat the blobs.  They get big too and they're just as fun... just ugly.  Second flush should be normal in my experience.

OfflinekingsiZemidget
 User Gallery

Re: My Jiffy Mix Casing experiment. [Re: kingsiZemidget]
    #27409574 - 07/31/21 03:03 PM (4 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

kingsiZemidget said:
Quote:

MushBrain1 said:
Quote:

kingsiZemidget said:

RESULTS: 

KSM0

Please advise.

Quote:

MushBrain1 said:
Quote:

kingsiZemidget said:

RESULTS: 

KSM0

Please advise.

Quote:

kingsiZemidget said:

RESULTS: 

WHAT DID I LEARN?:

-Much love, Weirdos
KSM0

Quote:

MushBrain1 said:
Quote:

kingsiZemidget said:

RESULTS: 

KSM0

Please advise.

I'm no expert, but I just used enough casing to cover all the white.  After a few days, if the mycelium grew threw, I'd just kinda patch it with a little more.  Probably started with 1/2 inch-ish.  Maybe a little thicker where I patched the myc.  And, don't sweat the blobs.  They get big too and they're just as fun... just ugly.  Second flush should be normal in my experience.

OH... and you should wait for the myc to colonize before your case.  When your tub is totally white and about to pin.  Otherwise it just grows through the casing like the substrate.  I think...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder