Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedeath_by_desire
me
Loc: In your mind!
Mycelium or contam?
    #2740514 - 05/28/04 07:19 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hey there...
I have 3 jars pretty much covered... that is 1 is completly finnished the other 2 don't want to get 100% done but are well over 90% I'd say. But I am beginning to get worried if this is not mycelium at all but if it could be cobweb :S.
How can I be sure? I had them grow in my heating room at about 80 degrees... originally I had 7 jars these here are the ones that took the longest (the only ones I have left since the others were lost to bacteria once placed in the terrarium). The thing is 2 of these jars didn't start growing until much later and only from 1 of the inoculations areas... could it be that something got in it? The third jar grew from 3 of the 4 inoculation areas... but this happened with almost all of my jars because I think I didn't let the needle cool down enough before injekting into the first whole.

I am using a method where I have 2 layers of aluminium. I took the top layer off and pushed the needle through the bottom layer and then put the top layer back on...
Anyway.. atm I have my jars sitting on a shelf at in the mid 70s waiting to see pinheads form (before I put them in the terrarium). I would put them in now for air exchange but I don't think it is a good idea if this is infact contamination.. how can I be sure?
Thanks a lot...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRiceCake

Loc: UK
Re: Mycelium or contam? [Re: death_by_desire]
    #2740907 - 05/28/04 11:09 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I'm no expert, but when my jars stalled and there was no sign of contam (just some bruising) I birthed the cake, dunked for 12 hours in the fridge, then returned the cake to a cleaned, steralised jar and incubated. It did the trick and the cakes colonised 100%.

The lack of growth from the innoculation points is probably as you suggest, but also could be because you didn't shake the syringe and distribute the spores. You could have been just injecting water at some of the innoculation points.

From what I've read, don't birth partially colonised cakes into a terranium. It virtually guarentees contam and failure.

I would guess it is myc and not cobweb on your cakes :smile:

Edited by RiceCake (05/28/04 11:12 AM)

Offlinedeath_by_desire
me
Re: Mycelium or contam? [Re: RiceCake]
    #2740919 - 05/28/04 11:14 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

So you say go ahead and birth the cakes (when they're finnished)?
What is the worst case scenario.. what if it turns out to be something other than mycelium which has actually colonized by when can I be sure?

OfflineRiceCake

Loc: UK
    #2741001 - 05/28/04 11:48 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

If the cakes are 100% colonised by mycelium, then once birthed, they will be fairly resistant to contamination as long as you try to keep things reasonably clean. So yes, birth them, you haven't got anything to loose, and what ever the result, you will learn something.

If you are growing only contam and no myc, then you won't get any shrooms, or if you do, they won't look like Cubensis.

If the jars are contaminated by cobweb, spraying with a water/h2o2 solution after birthing should kill it.

The Shroomery has a page on the various contams: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23418 I recommend you read this. It describes cobweb so you can differentiate it from myc.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2741757 - 05/28/04 03:58 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Can you take some pics and post them here ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinedeath_by_desire
me
Re: Mycelium or contam? [Re: MAIA]
    #2743597 - 05/29/04 05:50 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Unforutnatly I cannot take any pics because I don't have a digital camera...

Ok so I birthed the cakes, (and hope for the best) but here is another question. This morning when airing out the terrarium (first time after birthing the 3 cakes the night before) the air inside it smelled a bit... does this *have* to be bacteria or could it just be the CO2 that builds up in there... would that smell? I think so or?
I'm just asking because I lost my last 4 cakes to bacteria... I was sure that was bacteria because even if I just put the lid down for 5 minutes after that it smellt like it again, and that couldn't possibly be CO2.

Now that it smells again I'm really dissapointed because I went into great lengths to clean everything out and neither the box nor the cakes smellt before I put them in so please tell me this is just CO2... please!!!

And I have decided I am not sure if it is mycelium or not, I do not remember if it grew really quickly over night or not nor can I tell by the color so I will just have to wait and hope...

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2752200 - 06/01/04 07:07 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It depends but it takes some time for CO2 to build up inside the terrarium you know....
Wait and hope ...

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum