Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: NordVPN NordVPN   PureVPN PureVPN   Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Testing for free thinking...
    #2740418 - 05/28/04 05:28 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Editor's note: this situation is fairly hypothetical and would probably not be realized in today's society

Say you are going to be locked in a livable vault for some years with 5 strangers. You get to pick the 5 strangers from a crowd of 5000 strangers, that you would like to spend the time with, based on their performance on some menial test that you devise. Your goal is to select the 5 most free thinking individuals out of the crowd...what test would you give the people?

My answer:

I would give each person a catolog of baseball cards and they're prices. I would also give each person a mickey mantle rookie card and I would ask them how much it was worth.

I would choose from the people that wouldn't bother to use the catalog and immediately say "It isn't worth anything, it's a piece of cardboard..."

What would you do?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Testing for free thinking... [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2741012 - 05/28/04 11:50 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

I'd run off with the Mickey Mantle rookie card and say "Screw you! I don't want to live in a vault! Thanks for the money!" Now THAT would be free thinking.

Actually, I think that it would be worth something as long as people were willing to pay for it. After all, isn't a $100 bill only ink and paper, just like the baseball card?

I honestly don't know if I could come up with a test to determine who's free thinking or not. Sometimes people have their own valid reasons that might not seem like free thinking to me. I dunno.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineLizard_King
Twisted from theother side ofDeath
Male
Loc: Vansterdam
Re: Testing for free thinking... [Re: Twirling]
    #2741641 - 05/28/04 03:26 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

I would eat the rookie card.

As for the test, hundred question survey.
1. Would you vote for Bush?
2. Do you watch reality TV?
3. Do you eat fast food?
etc, etc.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2741692 - 05/28/04 03:42 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

I doubt there is any foolproof test to expose free thinkers. I also doubt a free thinker would give such a test. Better to observe an individual over time. Also, I would not find it desirable to have my group of five all be free thinkers. A few sheep would be nice.

Speaking of tests, I heard a funny story about Timothy Leary. He was put in prison for possesion of marijuana (but the govt was looking to keep him in a long time for his cultural/political beliefs). Anyway, when he arrived they gave him a psychological test to determine, among other things, the appropriate area to place him. Well, he had been a psychologist and it turned out the test was one he himself had written! So he answered it in such a way that he was profiled as a very conforming, conventional person :lol: who enjoyed gardening. Based on the answers he gave to his own test he was placed in a low security area where he promptly escaped.

"The feeling that I had made an escape, a non-violent escape, was a sense of tremendous exaltation and joy. I laughed and laughed and laughed, thinking about what the guards were doing now. They were going to discover me, and then they'd phone Sacramento, and heads would be rolling, and the bureaucracy would be in a stew. This kept me laughing for two or three weeks because I felt it had been a very successful piece of performance art--by example, telling people how to deal with the criminal justice system and the police bureaucracies in the sense of non-violent escapes. So that was a good prank...which was never appreciated by the law-enforcement people..."
  -Timothy Leary

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: Testing for free thinking... [Re: Lizard_King]
    #2745774 - 05/30/04 04:41 AM (13 years, 27 days ago)

wow, is this thread a testament to shallow, judgemental thought or what???

judging people on whether or not they eat fast food????

weak.

if I were to ask people a question which proved them to be "free" (???) thinkers or not, it would be the following

what are the positive effects created by war, pollution, and hegemony

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #2747820 - 05/30/04 10:12 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I'd put all 5,000 of the candidates in an room and then lock the doors. The fire suppression system would have LSD spiked water... which would be turned on simultaneously with the starting of Banana Phone, on an infinite loop, over the loud speakers. I would descend into the room with wire wearing a Bunny Suit holding a paint ball gun. Those that I didn't manage to shoot would be my choices.

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Testing for free thinking... [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #2748100 - 05/30/04 11:43 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

using banana phone for your own personal reasons is bad karma, and goes against all the enlightened teachers teachings. banana phone can only be safely used in compassionate service to others.

i wouldn't want to live in a small space with 5 free thinkers. the bickering would get annoying too fast. give me 4 servile ladies and one free thinking lady and i'd be happy.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineLizard_King
Twisted from theother side ofDeath
Male
Loc: Vansterdam
Re: Testing for free thinking... [Re: truekimbo2]
    #2748488 - 05/31/04 01:30 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Positronius, there are things called jokes, chill.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Testing for free thinking... [Re: Lizard_King]
    #2748650 - 05/31/04 02:26 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

And this is number 6.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineWorldbridger
Nemo Lotus

#2752247 - 06/01/04 08:00 AM (13 years, 25 days ago)

Thinkings free?  I thought it came with a cost.  It does use up energy you know.  And it can lead to many other things to say the least, including much disaster if ones not careful.  For example, look, now you have spawned this god awful thread.  All is what we need is another debate.  We could be using our time in much better ways.  Now look, you have gotten me started on a ramble.  Oh well, I probably would be doing far worse things than this.  I graciously bless you and wish you luck on your travels.  :smile:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2759276 - 06/03/04 02:12 AM (13 years, 23 days ago)

I would pose to them the same question you posed to me, telling them it is totally hypothetical, and I would see what kinds of tests they would come up with - then I'd pick those who had brilliant tests that I never would have come up with

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: NordVPN NordVPN   PureVPN PureVPN   Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon The Doors

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology