Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds * 1
    #27397889 - 07/22/21 11:28 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds
www.cnn.com

The proportion of schizophrenia cases linked with problematic use of marijuana has increased over the past 25 years, according to a new study from Denmark.

In 1995, 2% of schizophrenia diagnoses in the country were associated with cannabis use disorder. In 2000, it increased to around 4%. Since 2010, that figure increased to 8%, the study found.

“I think it is highly important to use both our study and other studies to highlight and emphasize that cannabis use is not harmless,” said Carsten Hjorthøj, an associate professor at the Copenhagen Research Center for Mental Health and an author of the study published in the medical journal JAMA Psychiatry, via email.

“There is, unfortunately, evidence to suggest that cannabis is increasingly seen as a somewhat harmless substance. This is unfortunate, since we see links with schizophrenia, poorer cognitive function, substance use disorders, etc,” Hjorthøj wrote.

Previous research has suggested that the risk of schizophrenia is heightened for people who use cannabis, and the association is particularly driven by heavy use of the drug. Many researchers hypothesize that cannabis use may be a “component cause,” which interacts with other risk factors, to cause the condition.

“Of course, our findings will have to be replicated elsewhere before firm conclusions can be drawn,” Hjorthøj continued. “But I do feel fairly confident that we will see similar patterns in places where problematic use of cannabis has increased, or where the potency of cannabis has increased, since many studies suggest that high-potency cannabis is probably the driver of the association with schizophrenia.”

Around the world tens of millions of people use cannabis. It’s legal for recreational use in 19 US states and Canada. In these and some other places, it’s also approved to treat some medical conditions.

Cannabis use and cannabis use disorder have been increasing in Denmark, the study said – a pattern that’s also seen globally. Recreational weed use is illegal in Denmark but is allowed for medicinal purposes.

Cannabis use disorder is usually defined as a problematic use of the drug: developing tolerance to weed; using cannabis in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended; being unable to reduce use; spending a lot of time obtaining, using or recovering from the effects of cannabis; giving up important activities and obligations in favor of cannabis; and continued use of the drug despite negative consequences.

Schizophrenia is a chronic, severe and disabling mental disorder. Its symptoms may include delusions, thought disorder and hallucinations. Worldwide, schizophrenia affects 20 million people. No cure exists, so doctors try to manage the symptoms with medications and therapy.

While one study has suggested that schizophrenia is increasing in Denmark, in other countries the picture is uncertain, said Hjorthøj. In the US, the National Institute of Mental Health said it’s hard to obtain accurate estimates of the prevalence of schizophrenia because diagnosis is complex and it overlaps with other disorders.

“Many textbooks in psychiatry state that the incidence… of schizophrenia is constant over time and independent of geographical location,” Hjorthøj said.

“And this has often been used as an argument against the hypothesis that cannabis could cause schizophrenia,” he added. “However, it turns out that there is very little research that would support this notion.”

The new study was based on data from Denmark’s national health registry and included all people in Denmark born before December 31, 2000, who were 16 years or older at some point from January 1, 1972, to December 31, 2016.

The findings could help explain the “general increase in the incidence of schizophrenia that has been observed in recent years” and provides some support that the “long-observed association between cannabis and schizophrenia is likely partially causal in nature,” the study said.

The study assessed people who had a clinical diagnosis for cannabis treatment disorder, not general use of the drug, noted Terrie Moffitt, a professor and chair in Social Behaviour & Development of the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Neuroscience at King’s College London.

“This study of nationwide medical records adds important evidence that patients with diagnosed cannabis use disorder are more at risk for psychosis now than they used to be,” Moffitt, who studies the effects of cannabis use on the mental health of the baby boomer generation, told the Science Media Centre in London.

However, Moffitt said that most cannabis users, even those who are dependent on it, never seek treatment and many people use it recreationally without developing problems.

“It is known that people who seek treatment tend to have multiple mental health problems, not solely cannabis problems,” Moffitt said. “And there are far more recreational cannabis users who manage cannabis well than cannabis-dependent users who cannot manage it.”

In an editorial that accompanied the study, Tyler J. VanderWeele, a professor in the Departments of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, said that the that estimates in the study could be conservative because of underdiagnosis of cannabis use disorder.

“Cannabis use disorder is not responsible for most schizophrenia cases, but it is responsible for a nonnegligible and increasing proportion. This should be considered in discussions regarding legalization and regulation of the use of cannabis,” VanderWeele wrote in the commentary.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCreonAntigone
Stranger

Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: Ythan] * 1
    #27398023 - 07/22/21 01:13 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Schizophrenia is and has always been a combination of environment and genetics. Early studies of schizophrenia, which have only been confirmed by what we've observed since, said the disease was a result of 'diathesis-stress'. That is, someone has a latent tendency but some stressor brings it on. Frequently young adults with the genetic tendency experience their first symptoms during stressful changes in life such as starting college.

I have no doubt that marijuana if used wrong could become one of those stressors that increases the likelihood someone's latent genetic pre-disposition could trigger. However, I think normalization of it will actually reduce such cases. Right now marijuana use is treated as something shameful so people sometimes do it without being open about it. If people are open, they can help each other understand what the proper use is and even whether marijuana at all is right for the person in question.

Ironically, cannabis also has a great potential as an adjunctive solution to schizophrenia. CBD and several other cannabinoids are anti-psychotic. Those who struggle with concerning symptoms from high-THC weed might find that THC-free weed has the opposite effect.

Offlinepsilocybinmansions
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: CreonAntigone]
    #27398140 - 07/22/21 03:34 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

You can misdiagnose a poorly treated child that grows up into a bit of a maniac from emotional damage with schizophrenia. People can feel hostile and persecuted in general without a dopamine disorder.

OfflineCan-i-bus
Melting

Loc: WA Flag
Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: psilocybinmansions]
    #27398260 - 07/22/21 05:01 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

I think it is well known and accepted that using THC can speed up the onset of certain psychological conditions such as schizophrenia in people predisposed for it....I would just attribute the increase to the availability and potency? But I'm far from an expert lol that's just how I look at it :justdontknow:

edit: and fwiw I love me some THC, so please don't think i'm attacking weed

Edited by Can-i-bus (07/22/21 05:02 PM)

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: Ythan]
    #27398267 - 07/22/21 05:05 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

I felt that people were self-medicating the stress-related issue.

OfflineVP123
Strange
Male

Loc: Midwest
Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: Ythan] * 2
    #27398315 - 07/22/21 05:50 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

As a follow up, you may be interested in reading some experts' opinions on the article at https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-study-looking-at-cannabis-use-disorder-and-schizophrenia-in-denmark/?cli_action=1626996863.229

expert reaction to study looking at cannabis use disorder and schizophrenia in Denmark

I found the following to be interesting (opinion from Prof David Curtis, Honorary Professor, UCL Genetics Institute)

"I am struck by two simple findings.  In Denmark, the incidence in schizophrenia in 2016 was about the same as it had been in 1996 but over the same period of time the prevalence of cannabis use disorder increased nearly five-fold"

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: VP123] * 1
    #27398347 - 07/22/21 06:22 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Some people classify mj as a hallucinogen, which is also a symptom of schizophrenia.

Offlineparadoxlost
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: durian_2008]
    #27398483 - 07/22/21 08:38 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

all that's saying is diagnoses are more and more being associated with cannabis. its not saying that cannabis is increasing hte amount of diagnoses. if listening to the beatles music was popular i'd expect more schizophrenic diagnoses to be associated with listening to that music. such  bull shit study

my biggest problem with people who do these type of statistical analyses is they aren't doing science and they're being dishonest.

--------------------
[quote]koods said:
Asante, I don’t think we should have any sympathy and should celebrate the deaths of antivax/antimask activists. They are responsible for far more American deaths than al Qaeda ever was. Every time one of them dies ther movement of death is weakened.ut[/quote]

[quote]koods said:
Chasing variants with vaccines is a dumb idea[/quote]

Edited by paradoxlost (07/22/21 08:39 PM)

Offlineparadoxlost
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: VP123]
    #27398488 - 07/22/21 08:42 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

VP123 said:
As a follow up, you may be interested in reading some experts' opinions on the article at https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-study-looking-at-cannabis-use-disorder-and-schizophrenia-in-denmark/?cli_action=1626996863.229

expert reaction to study looking at cannabis use disorder and schizophrenia in Denmark

I found the following to be interesting (opinion from Prof David Curtis, Honorary Professor, UCL Genetics Institute)

"I am struck by two simple findings.  In Denmark, the incidence in schizophrenia in 2016 was about the same as it had been in 1996 but over the same period of time the prevalence of cannabis use disorder increased nearly five-fold"

Quote:

VP123 said:

this doesn't mean anything about mental illness. more people wore michael jordan shirts when he was playing basketball. as more states legalize it, if that number doesn't exponentially increase i would be like what the fuck is going on here

--------------------
[quote]koods said:
Asante, I don’t think we should have any sympathy and should celebrate the deaths of antivax/antimask activists. They are responsible for far more American deaths than al Qaeda ever was. Every time one of them dies ther movement of death is weakened.ut[/quote]

[quote]koods said:

Invisible4HO-DMT
 User Gallery

Loc: County Line Road
Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: VP123]
    #27398499 - 07/22/21 08:52 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

VP123 said:

Thanks for finding that. I was wondering about it while reading the article. It seems like cannabis is just more accessible and people with mental health issues tend to self medicate with drugs that they have access to.

While cannabis use is not harmless, I think the study is misleading to say the least. For instance, what is the other 92% of schizophrenia cases associated with? Isn't schizophrenia a catch all diagnosis for mental health issues that we can't quite put a finger on anyway? The symptoms of schizophrenia are vast.

This is really just a fallacy argument to keep cannabis punitive. Just read the last quote by the Harvard professor, “Cannabis use disorder is not responsible for most schizophrenia cases, but it is responsible for a nonnegligible and increasing proportion. This should be considered in discussions regarding legalization and regulation of the use of cannabis,” VanderWeele wrote in the commentary.

Offlineparadoxlost
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: 4HO-DMT] * 1
    #27398502 - 07/22/21 08:53 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

4HO-DMT said:
Quote:

VP123 said:

Thanks for finding that. I was wondering about it while reading the article. It seems like cannabis is just more accessible and people with mental health issues tend to self medicate with drugs that they have access to.

While cannabis use is not harmless, I think the study is misleading to say the least. For instance, what is the other 92% of schizophrenia cases associated with? Isn't schizophrenia a catch all diagnosis for mental health issues that we can't quite put a finger on anyway? The symptoms of schizophrenia are vast.

This is really just a fallacy argument to keep cannabis punitive. Just read the last quote by the Harvard professor, “Cannabis use disorder is not responsible for most schizophrenia cases, but it is responsible for a nonnegligible and increasing proportion. This should be considered in discussions regarding legalization and regulation of the use of cannabis,” VanderWeele wrote in the commentary.

And i would consider VanderWeele punitively incompetent with that statement.

--------------------
[quote]koods said:

[quote]koods said:

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: Ythan] * 1
    #27398797 - 07/23/21 06:07 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

How do they know its schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder and not marijuana use disorder linked to schizophrenia?

More people are using cannabis than ever, with more access than ever...I imagine you could take a look at almost ANY sliver of society and find cannabis use is increasing among said group.

InvisibleCreonAntigone
Stranger

Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: Holybullshit]
    #27399055 - 07/23/21 11:29 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

We don't even know if cannabis-related side-effects are more prevalent now. All we know is that they're more reported now. That could just mean people feel less stigma in getting it checked out.

Offlineparadoxlost
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: Holybullshit]
    #27399387 - 07/23/21 04:11 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
How do they know its schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder and not marijuana use disorder linked to schizophrenia?

More people are using cannabis than ever, with more access than ever...I imagine you could take a look at almost ANY sliver of society and find cannabis use is increasing among said group.

this is both edgy and dumb

EDIT: nvm both posts above me are dumb

--------------------
[quote]koods said:

[quote]koods said:

Edited by paradoxlost (07/23/21 04:12 PM)

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: paradoxlost]
    #27399782 - 07/23/21 10:37 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Speaking of dumb this makes me think of the cases of woodlover paralysis.  It’s weird, like coronavirus how it nails some and leaves the majority alone.  Makes me wonder about genetics in people or different grow methods.  Something, you know what I’m sayin’?

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

Offlinetututotutut
You...! You're not me!
Male User Gallery

Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: Amanita86]
    #27399959 - 07/24/21 06:06 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

It's like telling me there's a study saying amphetamines linked to causing ADD/ADHD
Im not saying it does, but Im not surprised it's something being studied either.

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: Amanita86]
    #27400895 - 07/24/21 08:35 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Imhblo, woodlover paralysis was like sleep paralysis.

Offlinetututotutut
You...! You're not me!
Male User Gallery

Re: Schizophrenia linked to marijuana use disorder is on the rise, study finds [Re: durian_2008]
    #27400931 - 07/24/21 09:07 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

durian_2008 said:
Imhblo, woodlover paralysis was like sleep paralysis.

oh hell no :eek: Is that from  the baeocystin??

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale