Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePrimalSoup
take care of your shoes
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Primal's Wheat Prep 2.0 Handy Tek * 3
    #27385109 - 07/12/21 11:34 PM (3 months, 6 days ago)

In case I forget how to do it right again.  I didn't make this all up it came from various places. :laugh2:

The goal is this here, wheat jars prepped to 100% moisture content (yeah I measured it) and butt simple to boot.  Your basic grain nirvana.

So how to do it.  Start with wheat (or some other grain).  I'm used to parceling out a myco-qt portion of grain with a measure for each jar, so for 6 jars I measured out 6 level portions.  Accuracy is unimportant but it comes out with the right amount in the end.

Next you'll need a big stockpot or kettle or PC bottom for cooking the grain.  Put about twice as much water as you have grain in it.

Bring it to boil and toss in the grain.  Stir it maybe a few times, when it gets to boiling cook it 40 minutes (for wheat). 

I cook it covered, that may not matter much, but keep it in a good roiling boil the whole time.  Time may vary for other grains, what you do is cook it and check samples starting at about half an hour, looking for them to swell up and become translucent when held up to the light.  Simple as that.

Now strain it out of the kettle and lay it out on something to dry out a bit - could be a screen (as here), could be a towel, could be a brewer's bag.

Load it into the jars.  You can make a scoop measure or you can just fill the jars all about the same using whatever's handy.

The last pic shows the caps and seals I'm using, one piece caps with holes drilled and filters RTVd on top, silicone seals for under the caps.

I put foil caps on the jars to keep shit out mostly, but you don't have to.

Load in PC with water as normal, vent 10-15 mins and cook 1-1/2 to 2 hrs (YMMV) at good pressure within the safety limits of your PC.

Let cool, snug up lids if you want (the silicone seals make it so they never get stuck on), shake up a bit, and serve.

Requires no measurement really unless you want to establish actual moisture content (I did by weighing each jar before and after and averaging).  Just toss in about enough grain, process, and load jars.  You could do bags the same way.  The cooked grain doesn't much care about the PC temp running too high.  You don't have to pull the jars out when the PC cools off like with grain+water teks to shake them when hot.  Which means less jars cracking.  No sticking to the jars, no clumping.

OK that's a wrap. :yinyang2:

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineTheMagicConch
MC
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over here
Re: Primal's Wheat Prep 2.0 Handy Tek [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #27385113 - 07/12/21 11:38 PM (3 months, 6 days ago)

Effective and straight to the point, I like it!

:grampofapproval:

OfflineB H OS
Male

Re: Primal's Wheat Prep 2.0 Handy Tek [Re: TheMagicConch]
    #27385126 - 07/12/21 11:52 PM (3 months, 6 days ago)

I’m gonna make the switch from WBS to wheat soon. Sounds easy and can’t wait to give it a go.

OfflinePrimalSoup
take care of your shoes
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Primal's Wheat Prep 2.0 Handy Tek [Re: B H O]
    #27385170 - 07/13/21 12:45 AM (3 months, 6 days ago)

I had to switch up my old grain prep when I ran out of good rye.  Wheat doesn't like being treated like rye in terms of soaking/drain/add water (maybe) and into PC.  I was getting contams and some really sad-ass looking jars and poor results. 

Tried boiling/drying and damn straight that rules. :solidnod:

--------------------

Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Offlinedeadmandave
Slime
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #27385271 - 07/13/21 02:35 AM (3 months, 6 days ago)

Nice write up. I love wheat and this is a good method succinctly documented. Can you explain what you mean by 100% moisture content? I think wheat usually fully hydrates around 50-60% moisture.

OfflinePrimalSoup
take care of your shoes
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Primal's Wheat Prep 2.0 Handy Tek [Re: deadmandave]
    #27385905 - 07/13/21 03:07 PM (3 months, 5 days ago)

I figured somebody would ask that. :lol:

Here you go: 

What I did earlier was to take one of these scoops of wheat, weigh it (236 grams), dry it out in the oven overnight at around 200 degrees and weigh it again (208 grams).  That shows there was 236-208 = 28 grams of water in it.

Then like I said I measured out 6 scoops for the boiling, weighed all the jars empty and filled, to arrive at an average of 430 grams for each.

The original grain had 208 grams dry, so the water in the final jar is 430-208 = 222 grams.

That's actually over 100%. :hereyougo:

--------------------

OfflineLeafyClark
Dr. Greenthumb
Male

Loc: down yonder
    #27385982 - 07/13/21 04:17 PM (3 months, 5 days ago)

i figure someone would like to know this, one 6qt shoebox full of dry wheat makes 10 jars worth of hydrated wheat using this method.
(this is exactly how i run my wheat, nice tek :thumbup:) and thats the perfect amount for a presto 23q :yesnod:

--------------------

OfflineB H OS
Male

#27386605 - 07/13/21 11:35 PM (3 months, 5 days ago)

Quote:

PrimalSoup said:
I had to switch up my old grain prep when I ran out of good rye.  Wheat doesn't like being treated like rye in terms of soaking/drain/add water (maybe) and into PC.  I was getting contams and some really sad-ass looking jars and poor results. 

Tried boiling/drying and damn straight that rules. :solidnod:

Can I do this to WBS and or any other grain?

It seems like every 2 or 3 years there is a new way to prep grain.

OfflineBrownBear
Warrior-Traveler
 User Gallery

Re: Primal's Wheat Prep 2.0 Handy Tek [Re: B H O]
    #27386612 - 07/13/21 11:43 PM (3 months, 5 days ago)

Stamets gives similar instructions in his book. He says to weigh out 100 grams of grain and bake it at 250*F for 3 hours. I found out that my RGS is 13% moisture.

OfflinePrimalSoup
take care of your shoes
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Primal's Wheat Prep 2.0 Handy Tek [Re: BrownBear]
    #27386656 - 07/14/21 12:38 AM (3 months, 5 days ago)

Yeah, that's where I got it from, right out of TMC. 

Wheat has more moisture than rye IME, and maybe more moisture capacity as well. 

In the past I would just experiment with water amounts for soak + supplement methods, which works until you change grains or whatever.  Boiling is no calculation, just time.

Quote:

Can I do this to WBS and or any other grain?

Dunno about WBS but any straight grain should take up full water after being boiled for the right amount of time, which you discover by testing for translucence. 

WBS is supposed to smell horrible cooking and it's more than one grain of course, so YMMV.  Wheat smells better than rye when cooking.

--------------------

Edited by PrimalSoup (07/14/21 12:58 AM)

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #27386722 - 07/14/21 02:38 AM (3 months, 5 days ago)

Great pics and tek Primal! :yesnod:

--------------------
"Conscious contains the ideas, the thoughts, the building blocks behind every reality. Sentience, on the other hand, is the creative force that animates reality and experiences all possible emotions and sensations within them. Consciousness creates reality, sentience experiences reality. Together, consciousness and sentience create the totality of Creation." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms | Trippy Gematrix | Dj Teknological at BandLab.com | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || Remember George Floyd (END THE POLICE STATE!) ||                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017:: Aug 19th to 21st :: Pure Paradise. :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:  :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | Water-Bath Cacti Tea:bongload::cacti: 

OfflinePhosCap
Gratuitous Heavenly Grace
 User Gallery

Loc: Tartary
Re: Primal's Wheat Prep 2.0 Handy Tek [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #27419030 - 08/08/21 02:19 AM (2 months, 11 days ago)

Nice write up.
Any benefit of soaking for 24hrs first? maybe plumper kernels?
Ive used wheat and kamut in the past, but sure can get costly but ive been buying it from health food stores. Is there a cheaper pet store version?. Kamut is great, the kernels are massive after saturated with water.

--------------------
Psychoactive Fungi of the World        TLs            Franks teks and Tips        Stonesun's..
Spitballs Quick Rye Prep

OfflinePrimalSoup
take care of your shoes
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Primal's Wheat Prep 2.0 Handy Tek [Re: PhosCap]
    #27419414 - 08/08/21 11:28 AM (2 months, 10 days ago)

Soaking is my old method and what I've abandoned.  The boil/drain/dry produces maximum results (100% hydration).

I'll probably go back to rye once I can pick up a bag of organic, I've used wheat a lot in the past (and now again) but prefer rye.  Don't tell anybody. :laugh2:

--------------------

OfflineRisingTide
Stranger
    #27508033 - 10/17/21 04:20 PM (2 days, 11 hours ago)

Any use for the water after straining?  The process is similar to making wort for beer brewing.  Probably some good nutrients in there.

If nothing else, maybe it's good for the garden?

OfflineDcevLearn
Team Tomentose

Re: Primal's Wheat Prep 2.0 Handy Tek [Re: RisingTide]
    #27508274 - 10/17/21 07:52 PM (2 days, 8 hours ago)

You can freeze the water to save it and use it when you make agar. The grain water acts as your nutrient (replaces the light malt extract), all you do is add the agar.  Works great, it’s called Grain Water Agar.

--------------------

Current Project: LAGM: Stones From Scratch in 2020

OfflineQuirkmeister92
Street Doctor
 User Gallery

Loc: Grateful Dead USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Primal's Wheat Prep 2.0 Handy Tek [Re: DcevLearn]
    #27508279 - 10/17/21 07:54 PM (2 days, 8 hours ago)

I prep 50-100lb a once and I use the Grain water in the garden.:super:

--------------------
Team wheat...
Quirks Tub Prep

Edited by Quirkmeister92 (10/17/21 07:54 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies