Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | Next > | Last >
InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: tututotutut]
    #27381961 - 07/10/21 03:01 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Those last 3 will probably get decent shoebox grows though. I'll always spawn something like that just not to a mono.

--------------------
* Smarts videos :teacher:
* :thumbup: Planet of the APES:thumbup:

I'm a fungal white supremacist.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGotfrey
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Smartattack]
    #27382033 - 07/10/21 03:54 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the response guys. I'll give them a go in shoe boxes hoping to atleast get something to clone. If not itll still be a learning experience.

Tutu, I have zero doubt your right about the bacteria. But what is it that your seeing that shouts bacteria?

Offlinetututotutut
You...! You're not me!
Male User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Gotfrey]
    #27382039 - 07/10/21 03:56 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Same stuff everyone else said, the "wet spot" the uncolonized bits, the "cracks"

--------------------
yeah keep telling yourself that's voluntary

OfflineGotfrey
Stranger
    #27382128 - 07/10/21 05:16 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

I wasn't aware anyone else said anything.
I do know those are the typical responses, but I dont really see those issues.

The mycelium is still actively colonizing I havent seen it avoid any areas yet. It does colonize by spreading right?, leaving less and less uncolonized space that looks like the "gaps" in the pics before filling in completely? Or should there already be signs of mycelium in those gaps already? Its the 13th day, I've heard 2 to 3 weeks for mss on grains so from my inexperienced perspective they seem to be on schedule. If they stalled or seemed to be avoiding certain areas then I would know for sure that they were bacterial, but I just haven't seen that yet.

As for the wet spots, there's definitely condensation on the glass, which I know is not ideal and provides a good environment for bacteria. But from what I've read condensation doesn't mean there is bacteria. I dont see any wet looking spots in the mycelium itself, like I've seen in pics of bacterial spawn.

Again I'm sure your right, I'm just trying to hone my skills. So, does my reasoning above make sense or am I off base?

I can take a harsh critique and prefer that to sugar coating so let me know what you think.

Thanks again for responding

Offlinetututotutut
You...! You're not me!
Male User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Gotfrey]
    #27382139 - 07/10/21 05:25 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

It wouldn't look so solid either.
Go check out the clean spawn checklist thread

OfflineLuminous7

#27382247 - 07/10/21 06:51 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Im wondering about different forms of mycelium vs contamination.

Lately im getting nothing but weird looking fluffy uneven suspect looking agar plates when i do transfers, take clones or germinate spores.

If i posted pics 9 out of 10 ppl would say contam.

But ever since i moved into a new apartment, every single transfer i do seems to be fluffy sus looking.

Im wondering about enviornmental impact on mycelium formation. Dif humidity / temps levels ect.

Its been frusterating me that all my plate transfers are looking like mold when My lab work is generally very good and clean all the time. The only difference is the enviornment as I have moved living spaces.

Is there any sources of info to read about different mycelium formations vs contamination?

Im starting to beleive mycelium can change its form ( for what ever reason) And look exactly like its contammed when its really not and its just responding to stimulus in its enviornment .

If anyone can point me in the direction of some reading material regarding this topic I would be very grateful.

:cheers:

--------------------

OfflineSpaceBaby
alchemist
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: SPACE
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Luminous7] * 1
    #27382459 - 07/10/21 08:48 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Smartattack said:
Those last 3 will probably get decent shoebox grows though. I'll always spawn something like that just not to a mono.

:whathesaid:

I agree with Smart, who knows a fuckton more than I do. However, on this I have great experience: I had 26 bacterial myco-quarts that went into shoeboxes and minitubs and as I have said, I have, so far, harvested 15.4 pounds wet from my original sketchy spawn. :shrug:

--------------------
SpaceBaby
SPACEBABY'S LAGM22 THREAD
MUSHBOY'S SHROOM TEA TEK

Me as a cube

Another Day's Work:

Offlinen3oX
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Luminous7]
    #27382488 - 07/10/21 09:16 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

I’ve made about 10 liquid cultures before but this is the first time ive seen it become little balls, I’ve only seen it in other peoples photos until now. The water is very clear, my concern is the green ring ontop where the air meets the liquid. Could this be dried mycelium caught and dried from being above the water?

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: n3oX] * 1
    #27382503 - 07/10/21 09:26 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

You never want to see green In an LC man!

:begone:

--------------------
* Smarts videos :teacher:
* :thumbup: Planet of the APES:thumbup:

I'm a fungal white supremacist.

Edited by Smartattack (07/11/21 09:49 AM)

OfflineBrownBear
Warrior-Traveler
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Smartattack] * 1
    #27382511 - 07/10/21 09:32 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

I will add on to that notion. You never want to see green in this hobby, period.

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: BrownBear]
    #27382530 - 07/10/21 09:48 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

My mycelium keeps looking not nice :frown:

but I did a small shoe box test with a sketch looking culture and it colonised beautifully .  This leads me to believe Mycelium might change forms and look like mold kinda like these some times ? :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinetututotutut
You...! You're not me!
Male User Gallery

#27382561 - 07/10/21 10:25 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Cut from number 1 top left 10oclock

--------------------

Offlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger than fiction

#27382600 - 07/10/21 11:05 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Those look decent to me. Fine linear growth isn't a sign of contam as far as I know, and it's not settled whether some forms of mycelia are better at colonizing/fruiting than others.

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: gone-pear-shaped]
    #27382628 - 07/10/21 11:50 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the feed back . I've been stressing over the fact I havnt been seeing the dense white thick rhizo lately.

I think I need to do some more reading on Mycelium forms

--------------------

Offlinetututotutut
You...! You're not me!
Male User Gallery

#27382851 - 07/11/21 08:41 AM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Pls just see the clean spawn checklist thread.
Personally taking a break really helped me reduce my myco waste. Time to relax and reduce haste, focus on doing things right instead of just a lot.
All it takes is one good spore print
One or two good agar dishes
1 clean grain jar, and you've got everything you need to make it all happen again indefinitely.

--------------------

Offlinemonkey_accident
fail now learn later

Loc: im here, bro
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: n3oX]
    #27382952 - 07/11/21 10:29 AM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

n3oX said:
I’ve made about 10 liquid cultures before but this is the first time ive seen it become little balls, I’ve only seen it in other peoples photos until now. The water is very clear, my concern is the green ring ontop where the air meets the liquid. Could this be dried mycelium caught and dried from being above the water?

:grossman:

Offlinebagga
Day Tripper

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: monkey_accident]
    #27383052 - 07/11/21 12:15 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

My friend is experimenting with casing GTs, it's a practice run while waiting for PE.

This was cased with 1/2in pasteurized jiffy mix just before full colonization.

After 3 days they noticed a couple of pieces of peat with green flecks on it. There aren't many, and there don't seem to be any in the control bag of spare casing.

Here's an extreme close up. Myc hasn't reached these yet. They look more brightly green irl.

It doesn't look fluffy like mold. Solid, wavy, flecks, almost like mineral salts?

They haven't used peat before- any ideas?

OfflineB H O
Male

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: monkey_accident]
    #27383071 - 07/11/21 12:33 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

So I made transfers from a really nice look rhizo plate and then shook the jars. During the transfer I felt like something was off about the agar plate.

When I pushed my hole punch into the plate, it felt more gel-like and soft than how my plates normally feel which is more hard/solid. When I tried to lift up on the hole punched agar with my scalpel, the agar stayed in place and only the mycelium was coming up with it. I ended up growing through with inoculating the rest of the jars anyway and the jars above were the result.

(Agar recipe used 10g Agar 9g LME 500ml water. I normally do 400ml water so maybe that’s why my texture felt off?)

I can’t tell whether it’s contaminated or the mycelium reverted into tomentose growth. If it is the later, I was always under the assumption that tomentose growth is a little slower how ever most of these jars are at 90% complete in like 4 days.

I guess I can try to fruit in a shoebox and see what happens, but wanted to see what you guys think.

Edited by B H O (07/11/21 12:36 PM)

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: B H O]
    #27383189 - 07/11/21 02:11 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

B H O said:
So I made transfers from a really nice look rhizo plate and then shook the jars. During the transfer I felt like something was off about the agar plate.

When I pushed my hole punch into the plate, it felt more gel-like and soft than how my plates normally feel which is more hard/solid. When I tried to lift up on the hole punched agar with my scalpel, the agar stayed in place and only the mycelium was coming up with it. I ended up growing through with inoculating the rest of the jars anyway and the jars above were the result.

(Agar recipe used 10g Agar 9g LME 500ml water. I normally do 400ml water so maybe that’s why my texture felt off?)

I can’t tell whether it’s contaminated or the mycelium reverted into tomentose growth. If it is the later, I was always under the assumption that tomentose growth is a little slower how ever most of these jars are at 90% complete in like 4 days.

I guess I can try to fruit in a shoebox and see what happens, but wanted to see what you guys think.

If your hole punch was to hot it will kind of melt the agar and make it feel mushy.

I tried the hole punch and quickly realised i fuckin hated it for multiple reasons . lol

Scalple and tweezers for me

--------------------

OfflineB H O
Male

#27383222 - 07/11/21 02:41 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Yea I did away with it and now just use the scalpel for cutting triangle shaped wedges now. I was thinking that was the reason but I tried to keep an extra dish to use as a cooling dish and would tap it into the agar a few times before the sizzle would stop but it was the plates I was transferring from were still mushy even when I used just the scalpel without the punch. When I’d go to make an incision the mycelium would push into the agar before it got cut.

Edited by B H O (07/11/21 02:42 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | Next > | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies