Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | Next > | Last >
InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Let's Talk Grain Prep: The Good, The Shitty and The Hardy! [Re: Smartattack]
    #27458130 - 09/06/21 10:57 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I really want to get to the bottom of it badly.

Me too, it's my current obsession :lol:

You're not the first one suspecting there might be something going on with some batches of grain other than bacteria, even if that "something" appears to mimic the signs of bacteria.

Pasty has been hinting at something too for a while.

Apparently I was the only one naive enough to still think it was surviving endospores. There more I think about it the dumber I feel... how the hell is something not going to get destroyed in a bucket with water at 28PSI for 90 minutes!?
I was just thinking to myself 'damn, these things are fucking hard. Even with this beast prep and I'm still not getting perfect spawn, just better than before...'.

Some sources say cry toxins get denatured in the PC, so I don't know what to think about that.
Cry toxins or not, I still have a hunch this is something biological instead of chemical, maybe a waste product of sorts created by bacteria itself.
The fact that the 3 day soak for the bad prep got us the worst looking spawn should be food for thought.

Then there's the hard prep I've been doing for some months. Maybe the higher temps managed to make a dent on this 'thing' that is causing issues. Maybe the thorough rinse at the end helped in part to get rid of the 'thing'. Just grasping at straws here. The thing is that not even the hard prep could enterily get rid of whatever was causing the issues, it just improved the situation.

Edited by Josex (09/06/21 11:08 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Let's Talk Grain Prep: The Good, The Shitty and The Hardy! [Re: fahtster]
    #27458216 - 09/06/21 12:23 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fahtster said:
Not sure if this helps or just adds to the confusion but I’ve re pc’d bacterial jars a bunch of times and it definitely works.  It wasn’t with the same culture but if you catch it within the first few days, it’s not a problem.  The second pc’ing doesn’t smell great but I’m lazy and cheap and like to push boundaries.  The jar on the left was repc’d.. you can tell by the darker color but they were both inoculated with the same new clean(er) culture

This is how the tub turned out

The trick is to catch it early

Faht

What do you mean by catch it early? Are you saying re pcing a nearly colonized jar doesn't work?

--------------------
* Smarts videos :teacher:
* :thumbup: Planet of the APES:thumbup:

I'm a fungal white supremacist.

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Let's Talk Grain Prep: The Good, The Shitty and The Hardy! [Re: Smartattack]
    #27458221 - 09/06/21 12:28 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Josex said:
Quote:

I really want to get to the bottom of it badly.

Pasty has been hinting at something too for a while.

Damn, all my grain is locally grown organic stuff too. :eek:

Im going to grab a bag of blue seal or equivelant bullshit at the feedstore tomorrow and do an experiment.

--------------------

InvisibleQM33
(NOT A PUPPET!) ❤❤❤❤❤
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #27458226 - 09/06/21 12:36 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I thibk pasty did more than hint..

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
Confession, I’m less worried about live bacillus surviving the PC cycle than I am about the potential damage the cry toxins they produce can do. Cry toxins won’t be killed by the PC and have anti fungal properties.

From p9s endospire thread

Quote:

p9hu7 said:
Quote:

p9hu7 said:
Perhaps it's the case that these toxins are present before sterilization, the cycle destroys the endospores but the toxins remain despite the time/temperature cycle.

Edit:

Nvm...

Quote:

Both the Bt bacterium and its toxin can be inactivated by usual physical (for example, heating at 60 to 90°C) and chemical (formaldehyde, chlorine, chlorine dioxide, hypochlorite, or strong acid solution) sterilization methods

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/delta-endotoxin

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Let's Talk Grain Prep: The Good, The Shitty and The Hardy! [Re: QM33]
    #27458245 - 09/06/21 12:49 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I read it to say "usual heat" but Im not seeing the temperatures so Im not sure where that (60-90) came from.
Also "inactivated", maybe in the context of its efficacy as a pesticide but what about as far as it effect on our mycelium? Perhaps even in degraded form it is still damaging.

--------------------

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27458259 - 09/06/21 12:59 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Let's Talk Grain Prep: The Good, The Shitty and The Hardy! [Re: Josex]
    #27458280 - 09/06/21 01:18 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

How do we get rid of it? I demand answers by the end of the day!

--------------------

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #27458300 - 09/06/21 01:37 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Smartattack said:
Quote:

fahtster said:
Not sure if this helps or just adds to the confusion but I’ve re pc’d bacterial jars a bunch of times and it definitely works.  It wasn’t with the same culture but if you catch it within the first few days, it’s not a problem.  The second pc’ing doesn’t smell great but I’m lazy and cheap and like to push boundaries.  The jar on the left was repc’d.. you can tell by the darker color but they were both inoculated with the same new clean(er) culture

Faht

What do you mean by catch it early? Are you saying re pcing a nearly colonized jar doesn't work?

I can’t tell if you’re joking :lol:  I don’t even want to know what that would smell like lol

I’ll let you try that one

Offlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger than fiction

#27458308 - 09/06/21 01:44 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

So, brainstorming, what are all the things that can be done to grains? They can be cracked, ground, roasted, alkalized, acidified, abraded (rolled with pebbles, then wash the dust off). They could be soaked in lime like straw. They could be bleached in hypochlorite hypochlorous acid, chlorine dioxide, hydrogen peroxide, ozone, or peracetic acid.

The question is what can be done that's not time/cost prohibitive and does break down the toxins but doesn't prevent mycelial growth. My vote is for ozone bleaching. It could be done while soaking: bubble ozone up through the water for an hour.

Do grains decompose peroxide? If not, that would also be viable in places where a bottle of high strength peroxide is cheap. Just add a bit.

Edited by gone-pear-shaped (09/06/21 01:46 PM)

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27458313 - 09/06/21 01:50 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fahtster said:
Quote:

Smartattack said:
Quote:

fahtster said:

Faht

I can’t tell if you’re joking :lol:  I don’t even want to know what that would smell like lol

I’ll let you try that one

I've never pc'ed mycelium before so I'll take your word on that....but may also try it anyway.

Quote:

gone-pear-shaped said:
So, brainstorming, what are all the things that can be done to grains? They can be cracked, ground, roasted, alkalized, acidified, abraded (rolled with pebbles, then wash the dust off). They could be soaked in lime like straw. They could be bleached in hypochlorite hypochlorous acid, chlorine dioxide, hydrogen peroxide, ozone, or peracetic acid.

The question is what can be done that's not time/cost prohibitive and does break down the toxins but doesn't prevent mycelial growth. My vote is for ozone bleaching. It could be done while soaking: bubble ozone up through the water for an hour.

Do grains decompose peroxide? If not, that would also be viable in places where a bottle of high strength peroxide is cheap. Just add a bit.

Good thoughts. 👍

--------------------

Edited by Smartattack (09/06/21 01:51 PM)

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #27458318 - 09/06/21 02:00 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I had 24 pf cakes that triched out at every inoc point… it was probably 5 days after I inoculated them.  I re pc’ed them and holy facking shit did it smell disgusting :lol:  BUT I knocked them back up with viable GLC and the myc colonized right over the dead trich and spores.  The cakes did great

Then everyone called me irresponsible because the myc could pick up the trich mycotoxins lol

This was like 18 years ago and I can still remember how it smelled

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27458345 - 09/06/21 02:30 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I bought 2 bags of rye from which I've had quite a bit of trouble as Josex describes and am not seeing it on millet. I have not wanted to blame grain but this thread is making me think and I want to try and rule it out if possible. I've got half a bag left so I think I'm going to try some experimentation as pear shaped suggested. I'll do a jar of each all with entirely different treatments, then PC the same and inoculate with the same LC at the same time and see if anything shows itself. If so I'll repeat it, if not.... On to the next thing. I'm open to suggestions for treatment of the grains. Peroxide, acid etc. Sorry if this is too thread Jacky but I'm invested as well. Obviously Ill start my own thread if anything is found.

Thanks for the thread Josex. I was successfully sweeping this under the rug until now. I obviously needed another thing to worry about in life though. :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27458362 - 09/06/21 02:40 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I've also done side-to-sides, millet vs the shit grain I had at that moment, and see millet do perfectly fine and the problematic grain go south.
It so happens that millet is the best grain I can source, but it's ridiculously expensive here, like X4 more than any other grain, so fuck it...

Please Smart, do go forth and experiement! :popcorn:

You could also send a few pounds of crap grain to P9 and Faht while you're at it, they clearly are non-believers! :lol:

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27458366 - 09/06/21 02:42 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Do it. I'll contribute to shipping.

--------------------

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #27458374 - 09/06/21 02:46 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Oh I believe you’re having the troubles you are from crap grain.. I’m just giving input on past experiences.  Idk what the hells going on either lol. I was more warning smart if the smell that would happen.

I think there’s actually less bacteria when you re pc than there was before you pc for the first time and it’s all against the glass so it’s easier to get rid of it for whatever that’s worth lol

All the grain I get is beautiful and I don’t even rinse it off before simmering so I feel bad for ya having to deal with the shit grain you are

Offlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger than fiction

#27458391 - 09/06/21 03:12 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Smart, I'm glad you're interested in testing, since I realized while tripping that myco-stuff shouldn't be such a major focus at this point in my life...

A big question is whether it's a surface issue, or are the toxins throughout the grains. Or are they just on the surface, but potent enough to affect the whole grain. That will dictate which treatments might work. For example bleach is said to not work effectively in porous surfaces. Could we figure this out, maybe by mashing up the grains?

Probably unrelated: why do we *sometimes* see overcooking ruin grains, but at other times overcooked grains colonize just fine?

Thoughts about heat: if the problem is on the outside: cooking might render the grain useless, so this coffee roasting technique could be adapted to roast only the outside--use a blowtorch instead of a heat gun. Or if the goal is to roast the grain throughout, use the heat gun dogfood bowl technique exactly.

Thoughts about chemical treatments: it would be good to neutralize the treatment afterwards. If the grain is soaked in lye, it would be good to rinse then neutralize with a mild acid (dilute vinegar) afterwards. Bleach is broken down by peroxide, but it might still leave chlorine compounds in the grain.

Iodophor, for example betadine?

Acids: sulfuric acid (black liquid drain cleaner) is the strongest that's within reach of a non-chemist. I don't like being around the stuff, but it can be rinsed with water then baking soda solution. This scares me too much to advocate. Stick to dilute HCl, boiling citric acid, or vinegar.

Base: ammonia is nice. Rinse then neutralize with dilute vinegar.

Something you may have tried already: wash them with a lot of soap and rinse.

Bleach: acidified bleach solution (hypochlorous acid) is really easy and cheap to make. Strong, too. My bet is on ozone, but this might work and you don't need to buy anything new. Acidifying bleach doesn't require a lot of acid, since bleach doesn't contain a lot of base.

Sorry for lack of organization. Take inspiration or ideas from any of this.

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Let's Talk Grain Prep: The Good, The Shitty and The Hardy! [Re: gone-pear-shaped]
    #27458400 - 09/06/21 03:28 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I would assume most of the toxins are washed away with the soaking and rinsing going on. The toxins should only grow on the grains when they are spoiled anyway in theory but the way they are handled and stored is kinda grody.

I personally stopped using grains all together because only millet is consistent and easy but got so damn expensive.

Millet is the only grain I can get 100% success on with a no-prep method. Everything else is very hit and miss.

So now I'm doing bags of shredded soaked straw mixed with rice bran and PCing it and freepouring LC on the bags. It's very cheap and fast cycles but a little labor intensive compared to spawning grain to big tubs.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

InvisibleQM33
(NOT A PUPPET!) ❤❤❤❤❤
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Let's Talk Grain Prep: The Good, The Shitty and The Hardy! [Re: QM33]
    #27458404 - 09/06/21 03:35 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

QM33 said:

:EDIT:
And inorganic pesticides/fungicides?
Probably going to be different geogrphically.. Wonder if rinsing is a factor..

The bad prep was not rinsed. Whereas the hardy prep was rinsed after the boil I think.

I thibk this could be a factor, correlated maybe specifically to inorganic grain

Edit
Quote:

sandman420 said:
The toxins should only grow on the grains when they are spoiled anyway in theory but the way they are handled and stored is kinda grody.

Also if it was toxins created prior to a soak/boil , basically the fault of the manufacturer, he would have seen problems with other jars.

Edited by QM33 (09/06/21 03:38 PM)

OfflineBrownBear
Warrior-Traveler
 User Gallery

Re: Let's Talk Grain Prep: The Good, The Shitty and The Hardy! [Re: sandman420]
    #27458420 - 09/06/21 03:47 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I have had similar issues with no prep RGS. However, the seed would fully colonize in 10-14 days, fully recover after a shake but as soon as I spawned it every tub would go green.

I had a couple dozen bags of RGS spawn that I decided to pour into qt deli containers and top with coir instead of spawning. 32 out of 36 are doing really well so far. The other 4 have shown spots of green.

My popcorn and wheat tubs look good so far with full colonization and no green. This is definitely an interesting subject and a part of mycology that needs to be further studied.

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Let's Talk Grain Prep: The Good, The Shitty and The Hardy! [Re: gone-pear-shaped]
    #27458450 - 09/06/21 04:11 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

gone-pear-shaped said:
Smart, I'm glad you're interested in testing, since I realized while tripping that myco-stuff shouldn't be such a major focus at this point in my life...

A big question is whether it's a surface issue, or are the toxins throughout the grains. Or are they just on the surface, but potent enough to affect the whole grain. That will dictate which treatments might work. For example bleach is said to not work effectively in porous surfaces. Could we figure this out, maybe by mashing up the grains?

Probably unrelated: why do we *sometimes* see overcooking ruin grains, but at other times overcooked grains colonize just fine?

Thoughts about heat: if the problem is on the outside: cooking might render the grain useless, so this coffee roasting technique could be adapted to roast only the outside--use a blowtorch instead of a heat gun. Or if the goal is to roast the grain throughout, use the heat gun dogfood bowl technique exactly.

Thoughts about chemical treatments: it would be good to neutralize the treatment afterwards. If the grain is soaked in lye, it would be good to rinse then neutralize with a mild acid (dilute vinegar) afterwards. Bleach is broken down by peroxide, but it might still leave chlorine compounds in the grain.

Iodophor, for example betadine?

Acids: sulfuric acid (black liquid drain cleaner) is the strongest that's within reach of a non-chemist. I don't like being around the stuff, but it can be rinsed with water then baking soda solution. This scares me too much to advocate. Stick to dilute HCl, boiling citric acid, or vinegar.

Base: ammonia is nice. Rinse then neutralize with dilute vinegar.

Something you may have tried already: wash them with a lot of soap and rinse.

Bleach: acidified bleach solution (hypochlorous acid) is really easy and cheap to make. Strong, too. My bet is on ozone, but this might work and you don't need to buy anything new. Acidifying bleach doesn't require a lot of acid, since bleach doesn't contain a lot of base.

Sorry for lack of organization. Take inspiration or ideas from any of this.

:awesomenod:

I think I have a bit of a game plan then. Im not going to get too too anal at this point since something needs to start somewhere and I dont even know what is being targeted. I am definitely going to do some jars with varying PH soaks from baseline to extreme in increments in both directions. Ill also look into the bleaches and will obviously include controls and will use both the rye and the millet in the comparisons. I feel like Im in a good position for this because I currently have one of these crony bags of grain that is doing something funny a lot of the time, very much in line with what Josex is talking about, in fact exactly.

I have a good proven PE6 culture on fresh LC I will use. I would be putting this straight to grain but will redundantly test it on agar again tonight and document it before use. I need to make some plates and stuff tonight so I am going to start a few things for this ASAP. Hopefully Ill have time to keep up with it in the coming weeks.

If something shows something alarming then Ill just repeat and if it seems consistent then I guess its a matter of eliminating possibilities that could be responsible based on what treatments make a difference? so heres to something showing its face I guess.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder