Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshrumeo
Stranger

just postin'
    #2737656 - 05/27/04 06:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hi, first time poster here.
I just wanted to share my growing experiences. I still consider myself a novice grower but have noticed a lot of info out there and on this site that seems to me to be overkill. I have had a few good crops here lately and I think I've winnowed my technique down to a pretty decent science. Also, it's so simple a monkey can do it and get pretty decent flushes of VERY potent mushrooms. Here goes.

I have been using guatemalan strain. I use the old PF jar technique. The substrate I use is the Alien substrate formula. It is similar to other substrates in that it has brown rice, vermiculite, and some other stuff, but a very important ingredient for potency, quinoa, which is a grain very high in tryptophan. So I follow the Alien substrate formula method that I found on the web, sterilize the jars with a $20 pressure cooker and innoculate them from syringes made with spore prints. This is the hard part, but if you keep everything clean you won't get contaminated. This is all very standard technique.

I always read that you should let your jars colonize 2-3 weeks. I let mine sit in the dark, lid-side down, for at least 5 weeks and sometimes up to 8 weeks. In this time the mycelium is quite robust and will easily resist contamination when exposed to air.

Before removing the cakes from their jars, I get some clear plastic storage tubs and clean them out well. Then I just soak down some perlite with spring water and strain it and line the bottom of the tubs to about 1 inch think. Then I pour about a cup of extra water into the bottom. Then I spread out a layer of dry vermiculite (the medium grain, 2mm or so, that comes as packaging material) that's about 1/2 inch think directly onto the perlite and let that all sit covered for a day so everything equilibrates.

When it's time to remove the cakes from the jars, I just pop'em out, slice them into disc sections and spread them evenly directly on the vermiculite layer. Doing it this way gets a lot of moisture to the shrooms and they can be HUGE. If you don't want big trees, you can limit the moisture by separating most of the cake slices from the vermiculite with small pieces of aluminum foil. You will get smaller shrooms but more of them.

I like getting smaller thinner shrooms because it's easier to dose, their sizes are more uniform. Four to five 3-inch high skinny little shrooms are good enough for a solid trip. I like to get a few "trees" to grow, meaning 7-8 inch long and 2 inches around to make spore prints (boy howdy the big ones really blow off a lot of spores).

After this is all set up, there is little or no maintenence required. Maybe spraying the walls every few days or opening the lid for some fresh air once a week will do. The cake slices don't ever seem to get contaminated and the shrooms just keep a poppin.

Well, I don't know if I provided any new info to anybody. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: just postin' [Re: shrumeo]
    #2738138 - 05/27/04 08:34 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

alien substrate rocks!

Offlinewds
another brick

Loc: Mother Earth
Re: just postin' [Re: ]
    #2738155 - 05/27/04 08:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

where can you get quinoa?

does quinoa increase colonization speed? yield?

--------------------
I wish psychedelic mushrooms were legal, because I would like to indulge in this amazing fruit of the earth. Unfortunately, I can only learn about this interesting hobby, and cultivate legal mushrooms.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation