Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
New mobile-friendly layout is live! * 10
    #27374957 - 07/05/21 11:36 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Over a year ago, we gave away 1,990 supporter accounts to encourage our members to stay inside and to help break up the monotony of the pandemic. Now, as some countries begin to see a return to normalcy, we want to make sure the Shroomery is ready to head back out into the world with you. After being a top request for years, and with help from our awesome testers, today we are pleased to finally launch proper mobile support! You don't have to do anything, it is already enabled for your account. Read on for more information about this feature, and to get responses to some anticipated concerns.

So what's new?

The Shroomery now uses a responsive layout, which automatically adjusts its appearance for different sized devices to provide an interface that's tailored to the available screen space. If you're viewing the site on a desktop computer then very little should change; we went to great lengths not to "fix" anything that wasn't broken. However, if you shrink down your browser window, or view the site on a phone or other device with a small screen, it will automatically resize and rearrange the page elements to be more usable.

Why was this update necessary?

The world has changed since the Shroomery launched in 1997. Half of our visitors are now using mobile devices. Our layout has served us well for many years, but it was not designed for very small screens. When you visit us on a phone in portrait mode, you're greeted by this tiny page that requires extensive zooming and scrolling to even be usable. Members who are comfortable with the desktop site may be forgiving and accommodating about these limitations, but mobile guests who are new to the Shroomery might just abandon the site immediately. If we had this kind of display problem on Windows PCs, or Apple laptops, we would be scrambling for a fix. It's time we give mobile visitors the same priority, show them they're welcome on the site, and help revitalize the Shroomery and stay relevant for many years to come!

Does this change only benefit mobile users?

The main goal of this update was to improve the mobile viewing experience without affecting desktop users. However, some enhancements benefit everyone. For example, we wanted to make sure people could switch between their phone and PC without losing track of which posts they've read. So we've improved the code which syncs your forum activity across multiple simultaneous logins. This helps mobile users, but also anyone who visits the site using more than one computer. The same goes for our improved image assets, which will give the site a sharper look on any device with a high DPI display, not just phones. There have been various small technical improvements which you may notice regardless of your device.

Ugh I hate the change!

I understand that people have built up certain habits and muscle memory based on the old layout, and this update affects the way they interact with the site on mobile. I personally hate change just for the sake of change, but this really was an important and necessary improvement for a large group of people. I strongly encourage you to give the new layout a fair shake, and see if you find yourself enjoying the improved ease of navigation and more efficient use of screen space once you get past the initial adjustment period.

If there are still things that bother you even after some time, we'd really appreciate it if you would post a detailed description of what you don't like. We will try to find a solution to your complaint, and this valuable feedback will help improve the mobile experience for everyone. Next, you may wish to enable the "Desktop Site" toggle in your mobile browser's options menu. This will still use the new layout, but it will zoom out the page, similar to how it looked before the update. This is the recommended and supported way to retain the old browsing experience.

As a last resort, you can disable the updated layout and fully revert the Shroomery to its old behavior. To do this, go to your display preferences and change the option "Enable responsive layout?" to "No". However, please note this option is intended as a last resort. I'll try to keep supporting it as long as I reasonably can, but it may break in the future. If you decide to use it, please take a moment to tell us why.

I actually like the change!

Awesome! I know we've been neglecting mobile devices for way too long. Our loyal mobile users have been extremely patient, and I wanted to deliver something that would offer them real improvements in usability without sacrificing the familiar look and feel of the Shroomery. Now that the update is live, please help spread the word online and in real life! There's never been a better time to recommend the Shroomery, knowing that we'll serve up an optimized viewing experience for every visitor on every device.

Is anything more in the works?

This was a big update, but it focused on one specific area: the site's appearance on mobile. It didn't do anything to modernize the underlying code, much of which dates back to 2005 and earlier. Our long-term goal is to transfer the site to a modern, managed platform. But that's a big project, and this is something that mobile visitors can start using immediately. We look forward to further refining this mobile design concept, addressing additional longstanding issues and requests, and bringing you the next evolution of the site when it's ready. Thanks for being part of our journey! :cheers:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinespirit_shadow
Beta Crypt 3
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: Ythan] * 1
    #27374975 - 07/05/21 11:48 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Sweet! I left the site for 2 seconds and it's completely changed ...
I may have been the first one to experience it going live :awehigh:

--------------------
This is the way.....(this account is automated, all posts related to illegal activities or advice thereof are strictly from numerous online sites and are for informational purposes only)- Circa 2011
Ban lotto

InvisibleModularMind
M.P.F.
Male User Gallery

Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: spirit_shadow]
    #27375003 - 07/05/21 12:12 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

:angryguy:

Looks good to me.

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: spirit_shadow] * 2
    #27375028 - 07/05/21 12:36 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Wow I'm sorry people bother you about mobile layout. They must really have hard lives.

Switched back to old layout, I've never heard any real complaints about mobile.  I bet if you did it's from a few whiny people.

I'll be disappointed if we're forced to use this 'responsive layout',  sad to see you'll 'support as long as you can', when it's worked fine for decades.

I get the need to 'upgrade' but seems like an entirely make work sinario, the idea that because people have to scroll means users so just leave the shroomery is not sound at all. Can you list any real number of linkable examples of user complaints saying they had to scroll to use the website on mobile and that it's so hard they're leaving? Or it just a made up idea you think people have or some person told you that's true?

Making it a 'modern managed platform'?,  it's a forum where people post mushroom pics and make phallic jokes, it doesn't need to be modernized. Having been a mobile user all along and having made 6,000 posts I can tell you it's fine and you would likely find better use of your time on other things.

All love to the shroomery, love the site, just being honest. At the very least support the old layout indefinitely, all I see that the formatting and zooming has changed. I do not see how this is nessecary or effectively changes the relivence on the shroomery comparable to if you'd used your time in other directions to promote the site.

No need to be 'smart' . It's not broken don't fix it ect. But if you're gonna make it a 'smart layout's at least don't force us to use it, cause like you said in your post outlining it, I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking what the fuck? Only because I have high hopes for the shroomery and think we could be doing way more things to stay relivent than auto zoom on mobile browsing feature which to me is worse than a nothing burger it's like a nothing burger with glitter on it. Best analogy I could think of while on the toilet.

Tl;dr: cool, I guess? but don't make us use it.

:peace::heart:

--------------------
But if you're in a hurry, and really got to go
If you're in a hurry, might have to find out slow
That it's one thing to try and another to fly
You get there quicker just a step at a time
It's one thing to bark, another to bite
The show ain't over till you pack up at night

Offlinetaku
° shapeshifter ∆
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: filthyknees]
    #27375057 - 07/05/21 01:03 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Looks great. Thanks Ythan and Shroomery crew!

:carlton:

--------------------

Offlinetututotutut
You...! You're not me!
Male User Gallery

Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: taku]
    #27375064 - 07/05/21 01:08 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

This is great! Much easier to read thanks y'all!!!

--------------------
yeah keep telling yourself that's voluntary

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: taku]
    #27375065 - 07/05/21 01:10 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Is this why the layout is broken?

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Loc: United States Flag
Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: koods] * 1
    #27375072 - 07/05/21 01:14 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

I dont like change

Offlinespirit_shadow
Beta Crypt 3

Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: koods] * 2
    #27375075 - 07/05/21 01:15 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

I didnt like it at first.....BUT it is quickly growing on me. It's just for over a decade that muscle memory is engraved in the old brian:awehigh:

--------------------
This is the way.....(this account is automated, all posts related to illegal activities or advice thereof are strictly from numerous online sites and are for informational purposes only)- Circa 2011
Ban lotto

OfflineBig_Dub
I'm just some guy
Male

Loc: Los Angeles Flag
Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: koods]
    #27375083 - 07/05/21 01:18 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

:vibin:

--------------------
split_by_nine said:
click me you fuck

do the right thing

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: Big_Dub] * 3
    #27375094 - 07/05/21 01:37 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

It'll take at least 1 day to get used to but seems fine. I'm sure once adjusted I'll be like "why did I tolerate pinching and zooming every 5 seconds or holding phone to my face?":shrug:

Actually it's showing superiority already just writing this out.

And my 2800th post to say so. :awesomenod:

--------------------
* Smarts videos :teacher:
* :thumbup: Planet of the APES:thumbup:

I'm a fungal white supremacist.

Edited by Smartattack (07/05/21 01:39 PM)

Offlinebloodycarcass
Stranger Danger
Male

Loc: the sticks in GA
Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: Smartattack] * 1
    #27375120 - 07/05/21 01:56 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

I had no issues with the old layout on mobile. 
Swapped it back to the old one.  Was confused why everything was so huge.
Even with the new mobile layout you have to scroll through everything even more than just zooming in on what you wanted:shrug:

--------------------
Back at it like a crack addict, with asthmatic lung disease

OfflineBig_Dub
I'm just some guy
Male

Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: bloodycarcass]
    #27375138 - 07/05/21 02:09 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Try using the find in page/  find feature to "scroll" to top, not ideal, but significantly better.

--------------------
split_by_nine said:
click me you fuck

do the right thing

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: New mobile-friendly layout is live! [Re: Big_Dub]
    #27375183 - 07/05/21 02:45 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Is this really the way this is supposed to look?

The old layout was perfectly fine. This new one is a mess

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Edited by koods (07/05/21 02:47 PM)

Offlinespirit_shadow
Beta Crypt 3

#27375210 - 07/05/21 03:01 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Everything is cropped perfectly on mine :shrug:

--------------------
Ban lotto

OfflineBig_Dub
I'm just some guy
Male

#27375211 - 07/05/21 03:01 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

I still get occasionaly bad formatting like koods

--------------------
split_by_nine said:
click me you fuck

do the right thing

Offlinespirit_shadow
Beta Crypt 3

#27375215 - 07/05/21 03:04 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Big_Dub said:

Maybe if you guys stopped using your toasters and refrigerators for socializing then maybe formatting wouldnt be a problem :p

--------------------
Ban lotto

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
    #27375235 - 07/05/21 03:14 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Is this really the way this is supposed to look?

The old layout was perfectly fine. This new one is a mess

That's fucked. RIP

--------------------
* Smarts videos :teacher:
* :thumbup: Planet of the APES:thumbup:

I'm a fungal white supremacist.

OfflineBig_Dub
I'm just some guy
Male

#27375236 - 07/05/21 03:14 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

spirit_shadow said:
Quote:

Big_Dub said:

Maybe if you guys stopped using your toasters and refrigerators for socializing then maybe formatting wouldnt be a problem :p

Lolol I'm on a brand new note 20

--------------------
split_by_nine said:
click me you fuck

do the right thing

OfflineBig_Dub
I'm just some guy
Male

#27375247 - 07/05/21 03:21 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Big_Dub said:
Try using the find in page/  find feature to "scroll" to top, not ideal, but significantly better.

But a go to top button would be so nice Ythan
Maybe after edit, quick reply, reply....

--------------------
split_by_nine said:
click me you fuck

do the right thing

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder