Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: A word about Contams [Re: littlegnome]
    #2234115 - 01/11/04 12:01 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

good call. curiousity killed the cat, after all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTripleB
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Re: A word about Contams [Re: Dobie]
    #2554425 - 04/13/04 12:34 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

yeh, wut Dobie said, DO NOT SNIFF THE MOLDS OR ANYTHING THAT IS CONTAMINATED!!!! i didnt believe anyone when they told me, i sniffed, and immediately it tingled the hell outta my nose and i knew i was gonna get sick, i was sick for 7 days STRAIGHT and i never, i mean NEVER get sick, maybe once every 3 years i get sick, but i got sick from sniffing the green nasties... PLEASE HOLD YURSELF BACK NO MATTER WHAT TEMPTATION!!!!!!!! just a warning to all newbs!!! cuz i too, am a newb

Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
Re: A word about Contams [Re: TripleB]
    #2573252 - 04/18/04 05:46 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I think the first thing they teach you in chemistry class is to never directly smell anything, always waft the fumes towards your nose, still not wise if it's mold that's in the air, but a lot safer than just sniffing it straight up

Offlinedeath_by_desire
me
Loc: In your mind!
Re: A word about Contams [Re: WildCardsRevenge] * 1
    #2736385 - 05/27/04 11:03 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'm confused... there can be white contamination?!?!?!
Ok so just to be sure... how do I know if the stuff growing in my jars is what it is supposed to be and not something that I don't want there?!?!?

OfflineJuggler
The Pothead ofAll Time.

Loc: East Coast
Re: A word about Contams [Re: WildCardsRevenge]
    #2816329 - 06/22/04 06:32 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Best tip about contams. Do a good job on your innoculation so you dont end up with any :smile: Very good tips besides that on this post.

Offlinestrawberryscoop
LupeDupe
Re: A word about Contams [Re: littlegnome]
    #2881838 - 07/12/04 11:10 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I would never eat a mushroom from a contaminated cake...nothing ruins a trip like thinking you're dying.

Speaking of DYING, can anyone point me to a PICTURE of the purple/pink contam that causes meningitis?

thanks!
xoxo

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3079080 - 09/01/04 06:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I realize that a lot of people love to rail on and on about this subject... and it's been going on since the beginning...

But has there ever been a single confirmed case?

I have a friend that told me that prisoners horde their bread until it goes mouldy, then they eat it as medicine! Supposedly they swear by it, and nobody has gotten sick from it.

Offlineseatrip
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A word about Contams [Re: fastfred]
    #3147317 - 09/17/04 07:28 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

could you get just as sick opening a dumpster or dumping at the city dump they both smell rotten and have many different molds? There are other unavoidable times you smell something rotten,is this the same as jars. I never seen a contam just slow growth with sour smell and the growth will still finish so i wonder about them, and the people that dont sniff slow jars and eventually fruit them if there realy ok or have a invisible contam? is this even possible invisible contam at birth and you cant smell it over the reguler shroomy stink?

Offlinetheriddler
Stranger
    #3183792 - 09/26/04 08:13 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, after all, penicillin (sp) is mold too. That's what you're referring to I think.

OfflineScooby_Snacks
Stranger

Loc: PNW
Re: A word about Contams [Re: theriddler]
    #3277568 - 10/25/04 11:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Also just because you do not feel sick from eating contaminated shrooms doesn't mean that your not consuming carcinogens that could have a cumulative effect and give you problems down the road.

Edited by Scooby_Snacks (10/25/04 11:07 PM)

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: A word about Contams [Re: Scooby_Snacks]
    #3329278 - 11/06/04 11:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Contams suck....nuf said? nope, never is. stay safe and most of all....clean and CONTAM. FREE

Offlineilleagle
friendlystranger
    #3851656 - 03/01/05 11:27 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I would sticky this in the cultivation forum because many newbies may not bother coming here in the first place. When I was much younger and stronger I disposed of some contaminated grain jars. I was aware that they could be dangerous and was careful most of the time but being young and invincible I did smell a couple of jars. I came down with pneumonia and it was the sickest I have ever been by far. I couldn't get out of bed for 3 weeks (literally couldn't walk except to pee). Was on a couple of rounds of antibiotics.
As I said I was physically strong and eating a good diet so I would hate to think what shape I would of been in if I was a couch-potato when I got sick.

Offlinenewjon
Stranger
Re: A word about Contams [Re: illeagle]
    #4055272 - 04/14/05 03:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

After seeing that X-Files episode from years ago with the mushrooms that grow in volcanoes and can grow inside your throat and kill you, i think i'd rather err on the side of caution once i start trying to grow
I know it's made up, but even before reading this thread I was aware there are many different moulds, and the effects on humans can vary from nothing to...well, to death, and once you take things out of their natural setting, you should really take extra special care. Effectively, you take the place of nature, except all your defense mechanisms are manual, whereas nature's tend to be automatic, over time.

Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

Loc: east coast
Re: A word about Contams [Re: newjon]
    #4349692 - 06/29/05 06:10 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i read this somewhere and wanted a second opinion on this method... i read on the mushroom travel agent site that contaminations can be kept in check by mixing 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide and 1 cup of water into a spray bottle and mist it over your contaminated areas. he says that it will kill the contaminates but will not harm or effect the growth of the mycelium. has anyone heard of or tired this before?

OfflineJSshroom
dont be paranoid, just aware

Loc: I love that spore drop
Re: A word about Contams [Re: diabla]
    #4469908 - 07/29/05 03:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

yeah it can but A lot of molds grow from the inside out. Thats the problem unless its only growing on top.

Ok I have a question about smelling jars. I have smelled a number of weird jars but my lids have polyfil filters for air exchange. wouldnt that stop spores so that I would just smell the jar?

--------------------
First Grow No more carpet tek

Offlinessjwizard
Stranger
Re: A word about Contams [Re: JSshroom]
    #4615348 - 09/03/05 02:55 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

js not nessicarily, spores are very small and can pass through poly fill like nothing, it would reduce the concentration but it could still potentialy be dangerous. myself i am in a region were vally feaver is a problem im just geting ready to start my first mycellum cultures and im certinly not taking any chances with the.

--------------------
All statments, Imagery, and Ideas contained therin any postings are meerly retold sotrys of fictional acts created by a figmant of the universe imagination.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: A word about Contams [Re: ssjwizard]
    #5748813 - 06/14/06 07:23 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Yep, better safe than sorry. Also be careful not to take any deep breaths outside. It's always best to be insanely paranoid and only breathe shallowly into a paper bag whenever you're not in a level 3 biofacility. You never know when some extremely dangerous spore might be wafting down from the stratosphere near you. Because their rarity is only exceeded by their danger and mystery.

-FF

--------------------
It drinks the alcohol and abstains from the weed or else it gets the hose again. -Chemy

The difference between the substances doesn't matter. This is a war on consciousness, on our right to the very essence of what we are. With no control over that, we have no need to speak of freedom or a free society. -fireseed

"If we are going to have a war on marijuana, the least we can do is pull the sick and the dying off the battlefield." -Neal Levine (MPP)

I find the whole "my drug should be legal but yours should be illegal" mindset disgusting and hypocritical. It's what George Bush and company do when they drink a cocktail and debate the best way to imprison marijuana users. -Diploid

Offlinemr_yellow
Mayor Jum Jum
    #5750329 - 06/14/06 05:28 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
Yep, better safe than sorry.  Also be careful not to take any deep breaths outside.  It's always best to be insanely paranoid and only breathe shallowly into a paper bag whenever you're not in a level 3 biofacility.  You never know when some extremely dangerous spore might be wafting down from the stratosphere near you.  Because their rarity is only exceeded by their danger and mystery.

-FF

:rofl:

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
    #6132184 - 10/04/06 12:23 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

WildCardsRevenge said:
After reviewing alot of posts i'm goign to make this sticky and ask others to add to it.
But lets try and make a list of tips and general advice that new growers tend to ask alot. This way if they have a question they can browse here first and and see if their question is answered.

The best part is because its sticky they don't have to search for it because it'll always be at the top. This is in no way meant to stop people from posting but just act like a quick reference.

Also Serious replys only please

The number one general rule of Contams:
If In Doubt Throw It Out - If your not sure if they are safe to eat why risk your health or your other cakes

2. If you think you spot a contam on a Cake remove it from the rest of your healthy cakes. Then decide if you want to try and save it or chuck it

3. Post pictures whenever possible - A picture says a thousand words but a thousand words may not help us picture your problem

A lot is two words.

Offlineildanach
Dark Foreiger
Male

Loc: Nova Scotia Canada
    #7155530 - 07/10/07 08:35 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I thought I had a cold. turned out I just needed to move my terrarium out of my bedroom.

--------------------
I can't tell you how many ways that I have sat and viewed my life today but I can tell you I don't think that I could find an easier way. So if I see you walking hand in hand in hand with the three armed man, you know i'll understand. -Blind Melon

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order